Interesting discoveries

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Interesting discoveries

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

Post them here:
-----

FT Tools - entity editor:
While fooling around with colors in the "image" section, pull up the color panel to select a color (click above those two rods labeled "S" and "A").

Now numericially enter in a number above 100% in the H, S, or V, area (I havent tried Hue, and Value is the most noticable).

If you enter a value of say, 250% in the Value area, it will make the item quite abit brighter than it originally was - and perserve your color preference too! (ie, if you're making a blue sniper rifle, it will still make it blue, but a value setting of over 100% will make it blue and brighter than it originally was).

This is *very* useful for changing colors of things already in the game - a few weapons need it (the chrome-plated colt 45 and desert eagle really benefit from this), the electrical rocket and the tesla armor also look good too. For kicks I made parts of the ghouls glow brightly in different colors - green and yellow primarily.

Btw: for modders who can't make graphics for the game (like me), color changing of an existing item is a good way to introduce a new one (take me for instance, I made a "GAT-9mm", a 9mm minigun. I took the avenger minigun's graphics and made them a darker grey for the GAT, and modified the original avenger to be a chromatic blue to tell the difference).
I also made a .223 autoloader, but since I cant make/import graphics, I used the Mauser HSI pistol's gfx and made it jet black.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

Any way I could get ahold of those? I don't have enough hard drive space to do much with the editors. Please. :)
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Shouldn't this have been moved to Fallout Tactics Modding?
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:Shouldn't this have been moved to Fallout Tactics Modding?
Yes, indeed it should have. Unfortunately I screwed up and moved it here. :oops:

I PM'd Stainless about it, but if one of the Gen Disc Mods see this first, please move this topic to the FoT Mod'ing Forum.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

and at least answer my question...
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

What exactly do you want?

The .ent files?

They're not much use to you unless you have some way to stick them in the game - since they're completly new items (like how the gauss pistol is a new item from fallout 1 to fallout 2)

I have a whole slieu of new items beyond that too - a new ammo type (4.5mm Coated Pin), new weapons to use it (CP Pistol, CP Rifle, CP Assault Rifle), and other new weapons (the GAT 9mm, Tactical Sniper Rifle, M-82 Barrett Sniper Rifle, Gatling Plasma, etc).

Coated Pin weapons are like the gauss weapons except they do less damage (15-25 on average, with a "refined" ammo variant modifier; +40% damage, +50% penetration) - and there's a fully automatic version that im giving to most of the super mutants in ocieolla (6 shot burst, 50(short) range, 16-28 damage, all CP weapons have a 30 shot clip - even the pistol). Ammo for 4.5mm CP is scarce, but not as scarce as 2mm EC - you only find CP ammo in 30 or 60 shot clips, and only one clip at a time (even the super mutants that have em only typicially have 60 or 90 shots).

The tactical sniper rifle is like a really long range SMG - It's basicially a 9mm sniper rifle (weighs about 7 lbs too). The Barrett is a .50cal sniper rifle which im actually making it use small guns skill to shoot it... because it's so powerful, im only putting 2 of them in the game and they're going to be reasonably well hidden (look in jefferson and the first mission with the reavers). Gatling Plasma is like the gatling laser but uses small energy cells and uses the same gfx as the avenger minigun (except color-changed to be bright green, does about same damage as plasma pistol only in 5 or 15 shot bursts). The GAT 9mm is pretty much everywhere, lots of Super Mutants have em, and you can aqquire one as early as Macomb (back room of the library), they're really light but only have a magazine big enough for 2-4 shots (40 or 20 shot burst, 80 round "clip").

What is really screwing me is the fact that I cant seem to load mission05 "preoria" into my map editor. It appears just fine in the game, and I can actually load it into the map editor, it just does not show up in the map editor screen (it's like all the tiles disappeared, the level data for the players and such is there, but all the entities and tiles aren't showing up).
There's alot of items I want to put into that map... stuff from before the war.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

SirGHW,

Sometimes the maps don't center themselves when you open them up in the level editor. I think it's under Tools menu, there is a option for "View Mini Map". Click that and zoom out until you see something and then click on the map. Understand the gist of what I am saying?
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Yeah, but preoria is one big map! And it appears to center itself anyway - the yellow lines converge in the center of the screen (isn't that the center of the map?)

Payne:
Yeah, I suppose I could zip up the .ent files for you.
But then again, they're so entrenched with modifications to other characters and things...

For instance, Under my current modifications:
*Super Mutants and Ghouls are about 2-3x as tough as they used to be.
*Most 7.62mm weapons do less damage because there have been very extensive ammo changes (there are three types of 7.62mm now, and the "standard" variety is actually Full Metal Jacket... +20% penetration).
*There were alot of modifications to energy weapons.
*There has been a ton of modifications to all of the armor suits.
*Costs of items has undergone changes.

So pretty much the stats for all the weaps I made are inadequate based on what already exists in the standard FoT environment.

Here is what my mod does pretty much:
*Makes combat alot more dangerous, and diminishes the problems associated with economics and quartermasters.
*Corrects some of the story incompatabilities of FoT with Fo1/2 (mostly for weapons though - such as having a rockwell cz53 minigun and an ak-112 assault rifle instead of the avenger minigun and m-16).
*Diminishes the firepower of shotguns.
*Makes heavy weapons more practical.

(hint: it would not be a good idea to play my mod on tough-guy mode until you've played it through normally - some characters have changed position and other new ones have been added, as well as an assortment of new trap locations)

Here is what I want to be able to do:
*Edit the types of items the quartermasters carry around at the various stages in the game. For the types of items im introducing,
*Edit .spr files.
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Shoot payne, didnt read your message very thouroughly.

Ill probably have a preliminary version of my mod online by next week. Allz depends on how viscious my finals are to me.

Note however that it's not complete - so far I havent made the neccicary modifications to maps beyond the first reaver map (the town with the poorly constructed fallout shelter undernieth it and the farmhouse overrun with reavers).

If you want some hints - jefferson has *alot* of stuff hidden in it (two .223 autoloaders, a few CP weapons, and alot of precious ammo - be on the lookout for boxes just peeking around corners), It's more profitable to raid the SM encampment in St. Louis (not because of .50cal DU, but everything else they got), and if you're strong enough, you will come out of Oscieolla a very rich man.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Sirgalahadwizard wondered when he wrote:Yeah, but preoria is one big map! And it appears to center itself anyway - the yellow lines converge in the center of the screen (isn't that the center of the map?)
On occasion I had some weird things happen where the map I was working on seemed to disappear from the editor. Everything was there but off in the middle of nowhere. So it doesn't always seem to be dependent on the origin. And perhaps the mapmaker screwed up and didn't place it there. So you might want to check the mini map thing in the editor.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

If you're having problems w/Preoria, here's the fix that I found:
  • Once you've opened the map, hit Ctrl + F4
  • You will be looking at a field that lists entities w/errors associated w/them. Look for one of the entities that you know is underground. (A good choice would be the Roachor/Uberroach as Unique Other races always show up as having an error because their sprite is not set by their race.) Right click on that entity.
This should cause the tiles to display. I do not know why this mission has this problem, but this is a solution. You have to do this every time you look at the map, though.

This can also be a handy way to scroll across long distances of map.

If you want to modify the QM list but don't want to redistribute the bos.cam file I have bad news for you: it can't be done. The way to mod the QM list is to look under core/tables for the campaign.txt. There you will see a long list of items that are added/subtracted from the QM list. If you're keen on doing it, simply alter this table to your tastes, then open the campaign editor and go to Tools/Import Quarter Master. Then save the CAM file and you're set.

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Yeah, I got it to work OTB.

thx.

Im doing some furniture redecorating - sprucing up the southeast storage room (next to the original first locker with an m-16). Im making it alot harder - that room will have some fridge's with drugs and food from before the war, as well as some locked trunks which have some ancient weapons in em (a mauser, a garand, a buncha bullets, and some uzi's). That room is guarded by another one of those cheapo laser guard turrets (it's right there in the room with the "empty" shelves).

The original hallway with the m16+casull revovler will now have 5 lockers, each with lotsa neat stuff in em (even a CP pistol + ammo in one). Good thing it's guarded by a rocket-launcher popup turret (in my mod, turrets are color-coded, each with different resistances/thresholds). There's alot of goodies in those lockers, im going to make the players fight for it.

Since all the lockers in that level have alot of really good stuff now, ive locked most of em with a 50-75% increased lockpick skill difficulty (makes it harder to pick the lock and take things when you have turrets trying to cut you in half).

Oh, and I got the QM list modified. CP weapons will be useful against robots so I included lots of ammo all the way to the end of the game (sorta like low-powered gauss weapons).

-----
I have an idea of how to distribute the QM list... Give the players the campaign.txt, instruct them to extract their bos.cam file (if not already done so), open up their FT tools program, and then the proper instruction for how to incorporate the QM list into the campaign.

("now go open up FT tools, run the campaign editor, open up the bos.cam file, search the editor menus for an option called 'Import QM List', click on it, select the campaign.txt file, now save the campaign... the game will now have updated items in the Quatermaster's supply room")

I know, it's loopy. But it's sure as hell alot easier than downloading a 20mb+ mod. And if someone doesnt already have the patch - they probably cant play any mods anyway (besides the patch is only about 18mb, and is well worth the DL). :roll:
Our Host!