you want politics I'll give you politics

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

So you were working on a mining site or were you prospecting yourself with a metal detector?

Anyone seen "Aussie gold hunters"

Also

https://youtu.be/XzUf5jsn-So
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Yeah, I enjoyed gold hunters, tho none of my streaming services seem to carry it.
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

Viaplay

Säsonger 3 - 5

I saw season 1 on Netflix as well, season 2 is nowhere to be seen though it seems.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Well there we go.
I have that one
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

did/do/will time miners dig the black holes?
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Hyacinth wrote:So you were working on a mining site or were you prospecting yourself with a metal detector?

Anyone seen "Aussie gold hunters"

Also

https://youtu.be/XzUf5jsn-So
Neither. Just a "small" refinery operation hidden in inner suburbs of Melbourne that processed anything and everything - most people exported their Pt refining to Eu. Was a pretty anonymous set up as apparently when they were based in Adelaide they got robbed a lot. I was doing all of the fire assaying and safety compliance.

There was an episode up around Kalgoorlie where the prospectors went and used our local refinery branch up there. Was hilarious because Elvis didn't tell anyone he was doing it and the directors cracked the shits.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Megatron wrote:perception is reality so why not just chill in my time warp
Do you mean this in a for-all-intents-and-purposes subject-centered way or that the universe requires an observer to exist? :che: or something completely different
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

both and neither, you want to come and take a time travel trip ride whit me?

on one level you cant escape having a brain and perceiving the world from your subjective viewpoint, so whether you chug Kant-flakes for breakfast in the Wild Western Civilization or have a more aboriginal view of the world where theres no north or south, only glom, everything is valid. But concepts like time happening simultaneously but we cant perceive it seems inconsequential, just like an ant will never be able to comprehend getting a killstreak in call of duty. Doesnt mean the killstreak doesnt exist, or even if an ant could understand it it couldnt have an impact on it as ants cant play call of duty - theres an upper limit of what people can comprehend and have an impact on, and even if we were to work collectively and understand stuff like time travel, it still exists within a monkey brain capitalist system so would just end up being bad actually

with the bit about observer effect on quantum physics and collapsing wave functions and so on: this sort of goes against the above paragraph as people measuring things can have an impact on what happens next.

personally uh...simulation universe, hello? lol. I think its likely that all of this is a simulation, but that concept also relies on that it is simulating an original thing, so this might be OG reality after all. However, i think itd be better to exist in the simulation as 'consciousness' and 'time' and 'other shit' is much more malleable and maybe we can go to cyber heaven or just repeat our lives for eternity. i think whether or not if this is a simulation is neither here nor there, the more interesting bit is why would something make a simulation of 21st century Earth uhhhh....

so I hope that answers your question??? Hello *taps microphone*

*the camera zooms out from a old CRT monitor on a spaceship and a group of cyber warlocks have 1000 year wanks over human misery simulations*
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

you want to come and take a time travel trip ride whit me?
I would love that.

Thanks for the answer, the twist at the end literally blew my mind. The one thing I don't really have an opinion on is the simulation bit, maybe I should read up on it a bit more besides just random Wikipedia articles. But I guess I just did. The whole idea seems to rest on a whole lot of presuppositions however. The idea that human understanding has an upper limit could mean that humans likely wouldn't be able to create a simulation and I guess we'd have to be at least a type II civilization to have the energy to run even one simulation anyway (I don't know anything about energy okay), so then the simulation would have to be run by a more advanced species, which could be ours or something else. I think that makes any sort of estimations about the likelihood of us living in a simulation a bit tricky.

*the camera zooms out from the spaceship of cyber warlocks to reveal an old man looking at his CRT monitor and observing the warlocks in action. He sighs, with a wry smile on his acid-scarred face, and takes a sip of H2O before turning off the monitor*
Last edited by Gimp Mask on Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

I liked the part about the ant.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

there is a good joe rogan podcast about this I think youd like

maybe it is like the Drake equation but rather than working out if aliens can do hotline bling in space, it is tilted to 'would these dumb aliens make a simulation of their planet/system/local group/universe etc. - but due to the stupid capacity of evolution not needing to be that smart to dominate a planet, but needing to be smart enough to get themselves out of a pickle;

most intelligent life in the universe must be synthetic or robotic or what have you, its a lot easier to travel across space gulfs and come up with funny jokes if you have an IQ of 100+ and not need a hotdog supply
:chew:
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

I think we're in a Great Silence scenario, where everyone is intentionally being quiet as to not give themselves away. Anyone that has the potential for FTL travel is a threat and relativistic warheads can devastate a solar system. It's an idea proposed in The Killing Star and it scares the hell out of me.
We ask that you try just one more thought experiment. Imagine yourself taking a stroll through Manhattan, somewhere north of 68th street, deep inside Central Park, late at night. It would be nice to meet someone friendly, but you know that the park is dangerous at night. That's when the monsters come out. There's always a strong undercurrent of drug dealings, muggings, and occasional homicides.

It is not easy to distinguish the good guys from the bad guys. They dress alike, and the weapons are concealed. The only difference is intent, and you can't read minds.

Stay in the dark long enough and you may hear an occasional distance shriek or blunder across a body.

How do you survive the night? The last thing you want to do is shout, "I'm here!" The next to last thing you want to do is reply to someone who shouts, "I'm a friend!"

What you would like to do is find a policeman, or get out of the park. But you don't want to make noise or move towards a light where you might be spotted, and it is difficult to find either a policeman or your way out without making yourself known. Your safest option is to hunker down and wait for daylight, then safely walk out.

There are, of course, a few obvious differences between Central Park and the universe.

There is no policeman.

There is no way out.

And the night never ends.
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

We are being managed, like a nursery, still children in the defiant phase.

The park is completely illuminated with huge IR beams and everyone else is wearing NVG except us.

We shouted as loudly we could when we started testing nuclear weapons on the daily, and our first radio broadcast before that was a live broadcast of the fhurer.

Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

SenisterDenister wrote:I think we're in a Great Silence scenario, where everyone is intentionally being quiet as to not give themselves away. Anyone that has the potential for FTL travel is a threat and relativistic warheads can devastate a solar system. It's an idea proposed in The Killing Star and it scares the hell out of me.
Friggin relativistic warheads! That sounds very much like the dark forest theory, except in a city. Yeah programs like METI seem like the stupidest thing we could do: if E.T. has similar expansionist tendencies as humans do (and it would be pretty safe to assume so if they're conquering galaxies and shit) then nothing good would come out of it. The other major option - virtually all species go extinct before obtaining the ability to go all Interstellar - doesn't sound super thrilling either
Megatron wrote:most intelligent life in the universe must be synthetic or robotic or what have you, its a lot easier to travel across space gulfs and come up with funny jokes if you have an IQ of 100+ and not need a hotdog supply
This meat sack is far from optimal in a lot of ways for sure. Do you think digital boys miss hot dogs though? I suppose they could just turn a bit into a byte to get the same experience but is it the same? Probably.

*The camera pans around the old man, we see a woman in a wedding dress standing behind the man. She's stroking a lump of flesh, cradled in her arms. You can't quite tell if she's laughing, or crying. "Spoon is the easiest utensil to clean" she whispers as she slits the man's throat???*
SenisterDenister

That chinese lady gets the credit for the dark forest theory but the great silence is literally the same thing and written twenty years earlier.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

SenisterDenister wrote:That chinese lady gets the credit for the dark forest theory but the great silence is literally the same thing and written twenty years earlier.
That's cool, didn't notice that!
munchkin
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by munchkin »

Gold mining like bitcoin mining? Now we're talkin'!
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

robot snacks are those facebook math questions where

� = 1
🥚 + � = ?
� + � + � = 1,899,602,220.36
🥚 + ? = 🥚
Gold mining like bitcoin mining? Now we're talkin'!
post-crypto we're talking CRISPR, edit your genes so you have more arms for capital
:chew:
SenisterDenister

In the future you could install a smart toaster into the back of your head so you can mine buttcoin on the go.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Megatron wrote: � = 1
🥚 + � = ?
� + � + � = 1,899,602,220.36
🥚 + ? = 🥚
only 3% of people can solve this I hear.
Today I ordered a Scooter shout box:
respect to the man in the ice cream van
Our Host!