Being anxious this Christmas season.

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
munchkin
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Being anxious this Christmas season.

Post by munchkin »

Most of us have our games to keep us sane during this pandemic, but unfortunately, not all can say the same thing, especially to those who will be celebrating Christmas alone like me. If you're the latter, what else is there to do that's keeping yourselves away from being anxious or lonely?

Your thoughts will be really appreciated. :shrug_no:
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

I'm going to my parents and then meeting up with some friends for new years, but as for my parents it'll be the first time in 34 years they spend Christmas day at home, usually the family all gets together at my grandparent's house but Thanksgiving and Christmas were canceled this year. Kind of sucks but you can't be too careful.
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

Why not make a virtual Christmas dinner? You could sit down and share the meal by webcam!

Checking out movies or watching series works well also, on Skype for instance you can have a smaller window in the corner over lapping the video/Netflix whatever. I tried it and I think it works good.

Celebrate Christmas 2020 like this and people would not be as lonely, it'd make it memorable and a way to keep in contact with your parents through Skype video in the future as well. Maybe it will even bring you closer than before.
munchkin
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by munchkin »

Hyacinth wrote:Why not make a virtual Christmas dinner? You could sit down and share the meal by webcam!

Checking out movies or watching series works well also, on Skype for instance you can have a smaller window in the corner over lapping the video/Netflix whatever. I tried it and I think it works good.

Celebrate Christmas 2020 like this and people would not be as lonely, it'd make it memorable and a way to keep in contact with your parents through Skype video in the future as well. Maybe it will even bring you closer than before.
It's my only way this Christmas but thank you for giving ideas on how to make more use of it. I think this will work. :)
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Are you lonely because you won't be able to see your family / close friends / whatever, or is the problem the lack of the said social contacts? Sounds tough either way. I've never thought much of Christmas, one year I spent the holidays drunk watching all 5 seasons of the Wire, it was pretty nice but I understand it's not an optimal solution for everyone.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

If it's important for you, and you have consent from your parents, go see them. Screw the lockdown. Your body, your choice.
munchkin
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by munchkin »

Gimp Mask wrote:Are you lonely because you won't be able to see your family / close friends / whatever, or is the problem the lack of the said social contacts? Sounds tough either way. I've never thought much of Christmas, one year I spent the holidays drunk watching all 5 seasons of the Wire, it was pretty nice but I understand it's not an optimal solution for everyone.
Yes, as much as I want to join them in Christmas, I can't take the risk, they are both vulnerable, and as I go and commute everyday to go to work, it's not really ideal to be with them until this Covid-19 is over, or if vaccines available now are worth taking. I'll just ask my aunt who takes care of them to maybe we can do facebook facetime during Christmas hehe.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Yeah that sounds perfect! I'm sure it would help a lot. You could also try metta (loving-kindness) meditation focusing solely on your family
munchkin
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by munchkin »

A friend suggested a delta waves music on youtube that I should listen to whenever I'm taking some break. It helps me feel at ease sometimes.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

We're looking forward to NOT doing Christmas with anyone this year. Seriously, the most stress-free, happy holiday season we've had in the past twenty years.

We got a ton of buildable toys and projects to work on. Got my youngest a sewing kit to make his own toys..3D Pens, wood burning kits, vinyl sticker kits, legos, fake legos, 3D wood puzzles, etc.
munchkin
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by munchkin »

Mismatch wrote:If it's important for you, and you have consent from your parents, go see them. Screw the lockdown. Your body, your choice.
I'm planning to do facetime with my parents this Christmas eve, the whole night! I'll get to watch what they will do there as they'll be making a small party at their home with my cousin and her kids. Yey!
I've stumbled upon looking for some ways to cope with anxiety, stress, etc during this pandemic and I hope that anyone who reads this will find some good advice too as I have done. https://adaa.org/learn-from-us/from-the ... strategies
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

Merry Christmas dakkers

Hope you are doing good munchkin

🎄🎄🎄
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

Murray Chrimbus Eve. :drunk:
naughtpan
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by naughtpan »

munchkin wrote:
Mismatch wrote:If it's important for you, and you have consent from your parents, go see them. Screw the lockdown. Your body, your choice.
I'm planning to do facetime with my parents this Christmas eve, the whole night! I'll get to watch what they will do there as they'll be making a small party at their home with my cousin and her kids. Yey!
I've stumbled upon looking for some ways to cope with anxiety, stress, etc during this pandemic and I hope that anyone who reads this will find some good advice too as I have done. https://adaa.org/learn-from-us/from-the ... strategies
Yes. Talking to people on zoom, Facebook, etc is a fair enough replacement for me or a phone call. I think it's important to talk to someone, preferably several people in a day. I'm sorry you can't spend Christmas with your parents but I hope you had enough fun this Christmas meeting your parents on facetime.
munchkin
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by munchkin »

naughtpan wrote:
munchkin wrote:
Yes. Talking to people on zoom, Facebook, etc is a fair enough replacement for me or a phone call. I think it's important to talk to someone, preferably several people in a day. I'm sorry you can't spend Christmas with your parents but I hope you had enough fun this Christmas meeting your parents on facetime.
Yes, somehow I had fun, thank you! And Happy New Year all!
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

Maybe in 40 years we will have an official DAK virtual christmas party when our children no longer calls us. :hug:
naughtpan
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by naughtpan »

munchkin wrote: Yes, somehow I had fun, thank you! And Happy New Year all!
Nice to hear it, man. How are you doing now? It's almost the end of the year, I hope you can celebrate with your family again even just in face time on this important day! :)
munchkin
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by munchkin »

naughtpan wrote:
munchkin wrote: Yes, somehow I had fun, thank you! And Happy New Year all!
Nice to hear it, man. How are you doing now? It's almost the end of the year, I hope you can celebrate with your family again even just in face time on this important day! :)
I chose to celebrate New Year at work so I stayed overnight while I facetimed with my family the whole night while I welcomed the New Year with workmates. We celebrated the New Year there with some food and wine as we were allowed to have a 2 hours break at work while we welcome the New Year! How about you? I hope you also had a great New Year with your family or friends. :D
Our Host!