Game you're playing. How far you are.

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

There's actually an auto-run function in NV.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

atoga wrote:btw is New Vegas any good?
New Vegas is a goddamn masterpiece, and has enough content to last for months of one playthrough. Vanilla release has 5x as many quests as Fallout 3 with all expansions. An infinitely higher amount of memorable characters and a sea of believable writing. And tons of links back to Fallout 1 and 2. Respect for the lore is pretty high on my priorities list.

If you mod the textures and ENB, add in some new guns for diversity and maybe some gamplay things like Project Nevada for complexity, you have a game that suddenly stands up to modern titles even at 5 years.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

:salute:
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

SenisterDenister wrote:There's actually an auto-run function in NV.
But when you strafe it cancels auto-run. RPGs are meant to be top-down.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Perhaps this summer I will finally finish FONV.

I burned out trying to complete everything possible before meeting Mr. House. Still have most of the Companion Quests to do, and all of the add-ons. I'll be maxed (already Lv 40) and I'm already the richest person in the wasteland (except House). Obsessive hoarding ftw.

I'll save a few quests for after meeting House, so I can get my reputations back up after they get reset.

After FONV, either WL2 or PoE to play for the rest of the year.
The one not picked will be to start next year.

After that?
SenisterDenister

Darkest Dungeon seems to be set for its 1.0 release by Halloween this year. You should pick that up once it's out of Early Access. It's good shit.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

atoga wrote::salute:
I miss you, love and kisses.

Vegas is pretty alright, I kind of wish I replayed it because I feel like I did a lot of dumb shit in my first play through or something. I bought it on PC years ago for like 5 bucks with all the expansion packs I never played. I played the vanilla with no expansion packs on the 360 when it came out.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Mamma's gang can never die.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

atoga wrote:Mamma's gang can never die.
POOPERSCOOPER wrote:
atoga wrote::salute:
I miss you, love and kisses.

Vegas is pretty alright, I kind of wish I replayed it because I feel like I did a lot of dumb shit in my first play through or something. I bought it on PC years ago for like 5 bucks with all the expansion packs I never played. I played the vanilla with no expansion packs on the 360 when it came out.
Each of the 4 major DLC have great characters, visually-powerful atmospheres, and enjoyable segments, if not enjoyable as a whole (talking mostly about Dead Money). The last DLC, Gun Runner's Arsenal, adds a shitload of guns and a few perks, I think, and the new weapons are largely from Fallout 1 and 2, including the Bozar.

As far as characters go, though, meeting Joshua Graham and Ulysses were incredibly powerful experiences. You hear their name or reference throughout patches of the base game, but when you meet them, it culminates in something... heavy. Like a feeling in your gut.

New Vegas is enormous, engaging, and has infinitely better writing than 3. Modding that just makes it fucking 10-scores across the board. If you haven't played it to level 50, seen your share of the laughs and the nightmares, you're doing yourself a disservice.

As for you, Redeye, you can meet House and not affect your reputation. Upon meeting him, he'll give you access to the Presidential Suite that serves as a great base of operations.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

so, Dragonfall is the shit. I gave all the other Kickstarter RPGs a miss (Shadowrun Returns included) cos they seemed like perfunctory and bland exercises in nerd placation, but I tried Dragonfall last week as I'd heard a couple positive things and the Shadowrun setting does it for me — and damn, it's pretty special.

the premise and main plot are kinda goofy but the writing and aesthetic are strong enough to carry them and make everything that's going on feel weirdly plausible (actually, this is true for all of Shadowrun really). the dialogue in particular is really tight, maybe the most naturalistic I've read in a game; it never feels like it's hitting you over the head with what it's trying to convey. characterization is quite good; even while a lot of the characters are obvious types, they do enough to twist them or add some new dimension to them that they feel fresh. it's just enjoyable genre writing all around. Dietrich is a perfect distillation of every aging punk I've ever met. also, the background art has this nice painterly quality which makes playing the game feel like looking at a comic book. and the soundtrack did its thing too.

gameplay is fine. in some respects it's kind of simple (magic, decking at times, some dialogue choices), so if you are a hopeless case only able to see a game as an abstract possibility space there might be some frustrations, but eh, it still provides a good deal of freedom in how you can approach most situations. the writing went a long way to making me feel invested in what was going on and carefully weighing all my options. moral ambiguity is on point and some of the choices you face are genuinely Hard Decisionsâ„¢ (no homo); I'm still not sure whether some of my character's actions were such good ideas.

the main plot is probably the least interesting thing about the game (some save the world shit), though they did a pretty good job of adding intrigue to it and subverting expectations about how things would unfold, and many of the runs directly related to it are solid. the side runs are all excellent, however. each has loads of interesting details, optional shit to do, different viable approaches for all builds, etc. (personal top 3: Trial Run, MKVI, the Aztechnology Run). tbh, I'd prefer a game primarily based around these — a collection of mostly self-contained short stories, maybe with some loose connective tissue where certain runs affect subsequent ones (as seen with the Lodge guy, who you do a run for and later calls you up asking for favours that will displease or fuck over your other clients).

overall it edges out Bloodlines for the best RPG I've played since the Fallout/Torment/Arcanum era, though maybe New Vegas will beat it once I get around to playing it. definitely will try the Hong Kong one once it gets a Director's Cut treatment (or equivalent). game is charming as fuck, so much so that its flaws don't really bother me at all. I love it.

Image Image Image Image Image out of Image Image Image Image Image
FA Mount
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Now you wait 2000 years for the sequel, AoD Forever.

Post by FA Mount »

Holy fuck, people. Age of Decadence came out. Bid your loved ones adieu. The time has come. Armageddon is here. The end in sigh. Etpetercetera :drunk:
SenisterDenister

Between Pillars of Eternity, Inquisitor, Wasteland 2 - Director's Cut, and Age of Decadence my time RPG backlog is completely full up.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: Now you wait 2000 years for the sequel, AoD Forever.

Post by S4ur0n27 »

FA Mount wrote:Holy fuck, people. Age of Decadence came out. Bid your loved ones adieu. The time has come. Armageddon is here. The end in sigh. Etpetercetera :drunk:
So, does it suck?
FA Mount
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by FA Mount »

To be perfectly honest I was hoping someone here would bite. I'm taking way too long to finish what I've started (namely Front Mission 3) and I'm not particularly enjoying turn-based as much as I should/normally do, probably for the RPG overkill we've had of late, like SentientDentist mentioned.

Eh, where is a Blargh when you need one? :duckie:
SenisterDenister

Shit I forgot I also bought Shadowrun Hong Kong. So I've got that too.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Got some work to do before buying Age of Decadence myself : still gotta finish Pillars, and play Witcher 3, Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun games :/
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I'm of course not playing it, but I pre-ordered Fallout 4, more for curiosity to see if Bethesda learned anything at all from Obsidian doing New Vegas.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

I still haven't got back into New Vegas, so PoE/WL2 will be for next year.

Never did finish Witcher. So there's that on the list, plus 2 and 3.

Last part of Lazarus to go, then U6P and Portal 2.

Crap, I have Skyrim (LE) unopened on a shelf.

These will take up 2016 and probably part of 2017.

Fallout 4, Age of Decadence, Darkest Dungeon, Shadowrun, DX:HR (yeah I know), maybe Syndicate (eye candy) will be for 2017/18.

Actually, all of this will probably take until 2019.

By which time there will be more on the list.

Oh, and Tides of Numenara.

So much to do!

Never did do Bard's Tale, Devil Whiskey, some others.
SenisterDenister

Can't believe you guys bought Fallout 4. I won't even waste the bandwidth to torrent it.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

If the writing is good - and the previews seem to show people talking like actual humans beings - and freedom of choice, that's what makes a Fallout game for me. So we'll see if it's a real Fallout game, or just more Fallout 3.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Our Host!