Real Deal: Operational PipBoy2000 Prototype

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Real Deal: Operational PipBoy2000 Prototype

Post by Manoil »

One of the more popular Fallout props these days, alongside Fallout 3's AEP laser weapons and Vault 101 paraphernalia, is the PipBoy 3000. It's arm-mounted, you can fit a phone into many of the builds, etcetera etcetera.

I've been doing a lot of prop work lately for Post-Apoc short films, and I managed to come across an Etsy vendor doing 3D prints.
Of a PipBoy 2000.

Handheld, capable of housing raspberry pi and the adafruit 2.8" display, this is the real deal.

To up the ante, this Instructable has very clear, thorough instructions to make a real PipBoy, including not only an operating system and infrastructure but the modular abilities to add GPS, RFID, geiger counters, and a collection of other neat little toys.

(For the instructable, the creator used RFID to make a "Platinum Chip" that works as a key to lock and unlock the PipBoy)

All in all, this project is within a few hundred dollars at most, and stands to produce something unique, powerful, and for this community's interests, obscenely sentimental and enjoyable.

I've already ordered the case, but speaking with the rather polite and kind vendor, "HazyVagrant", he's expressed interest in modifying the printed product for necessary changes to accommodate this project, especially if it makes the product superior.

Good god, that's exciting.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Also, as much as I know everyone here enjoys the hell out of badgering newcomers for sport, I did notify him of this place and hope you'll be kind enough to welcome him should he poke his head in the door.

If for no other reason, there aren't nearly enough prop makers releasing classic Fallout gear, so please don't push this one away.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

One of Mrs. Piper's early controls was an American Indian girl with the unlikely name of Chlorine. Indeed, a disproportionately high percentage of controls were American Indians with colorful names and stereotyped speech patterns.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

The same guy actually just started making PipBoy2000 Phone cases.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Where are those old pipboy threads, case mods, etc.?

Somebody go find them, I'm tired.
HELEN
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by HELEN »

Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

HELEN wrote:Image
Vaping Brahmin fumes?
Our Host!