The Movies, Music, and Games thread

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Just discovered Nils Petter Molvaer. Incredible stuff. Electro-fusion-ambient-jazz or somethin'
Burning Oasis
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Burning Oasis »

I'm very tempted to buy GTA 5 for PC, but is it really worth the investment? I hear Rockstar is having the same day 1 launch problems as they did for the 360 and ps3.

Have any of you chaps gotten your hands on it?
-----------------------------------------------------------Has anyone ever been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

I'd say wait till it goes on sale this summer.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

I always wait a year or three.

Pick up the fancy debugged version with a lot of extras.

Cheap.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

GTA 5 sucked. Like I am just slowly realizing how unfun the GTA formula is. It sucks. The campaign was full of crap. The multiplayer is absolute shit unless by some miracle you have a group of friends capable of planning to log into the same game for the same period of time. Just a shitty experience.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I guess it's gotten old after GTA 3. And I honestly think I had more fun overall with 1 and 2.
FA Mount
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

HEY COUSIN LET'S GO BOWLING!

Post by FA Mount »

Didn't we argue the manifold demerits of IV here at one point? And did V ever give any indication it wasn't going to be more of the same? Y'know, missions scripted to shit, too many fucking cutscenes and an aversion to letting the player have fun in his or her own terms? Give me San Andreas with Vice City's soundtrack any day of the week. :drunk:
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

There was a time when I thought GTA V's multiplayer was going to be as good as RDR's, but it was just a massive clusterfuck, and wasn't even worth all the effort of constant updates, tedious missions, just to get run over by some 12 year old again and again.

The single player aspect is the only thing I remotely enjoyed and I completed it more as a ritual than something I actually enjoyed. The main characters had the charisma of a brain tumor, and in every cut scene I had the distinct impression that the writers were tryharding some hipster nihilism bullshit.

It sucked. I'm ranting because I finally finished the game like a month ago after abandoning it for a very long time.

Missions are fucking horrible... Like they create this amazing open world and tell you- go directly to this location in this exact amount of time, shoot exactly these people, drive to another place in this exact amount of time, get in this helicopter, fly to another location, tediously lift something up with said helicopter, fly the helicopter across the map. Mission accomplished.

But wait, game, what did I accomplish really?

You helped these fucktards get a step closer to robbing a bank?

Okay, game, but whats my motivation here?

Ummmmm.... Michael wants to escape the criminal life that he escaped from already. Franklin wants money. and Trevor is an horrific psychopath!! Why wouldnt you help these nice gentlemen out?!

WTF?

I honestly dont understand how the adults working at rockstar feel fulfilled creating such an incredibly hollow experience....

Like there wasnt even a genuine emotion in the game. It was just this oppressive "all these people suck. People all suck. They want money and sex and drugs. Kill. Drive. Kill." #rantended

Rant extended- some of the mission design is really unforgiving as well, especially for a game considered casual. There were several instances where the game would exit a cut scene and leave me sort of scratching my head as to what exactly I was meant to do. At one point a pasenger shouted at me to chase after 'that motorcycle', but I hadn't even seen the motorcycle or have any sense why I was chasing it.

And I think GTA really needs to get away from the reliance on assisted-aim as the default. It requires almost nothing of the player. I prefer to play without assisted aim, but the gunfights become so difficult that I don't get through a battle ever without dying. I understand adding assisted aim as an option for people who struggle, but to make it the default and then swamp the player with enemies with the assumption that assisted aim will take care of it makes it a shitty experience for anyone who actually enjoys the third-person shooter aspect.

It's sort of the same thing that happened with fo3. They threw vats mode into the game because their gun battle gameplay was too horrible to play out in real time. GTA is sticking to the assisted aim crutch.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Vice City & San Andreas were definitely the artistic high point of the series. I don't really have much of a problem with the gameplay but I have no idea what the fuck GTA V is about, seems like a conceptual and thematic mess tbh (admittedly though I haven't played much of it). the humour of the series has kind of gone to shit as well. it's best when there's some distance from the subject matter; it feels like it's reaching when making jokes about Facebook or whatever.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

The main storyline was shit. Essentially exactly as advertised- pull off increasingly difficult heists that dont ever actually increase in difficulty because youre hand is held throughout and there is no consequence to death. they then throw in this bizarre final mission that felt really rushed and comepletely anti-climactic, but it is hard to build any mission with any real tension at all when you are guaranteed to die a few times, or fail to make it to a checkpoint in time, and when that happens you just restart at the last mission checkpoint, and the checkpoints are like every minute so theres no reason to give a fuck about anything you do inside of these 'intense heists' because you can never lose.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Ha, the last few posts resume what's wrong with gaming nowadays.

You never get hurt.

Well, except by bad design but that doesn't count.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

One of the first games I got on CD was GTA and I loved it, the idea of being in a city, drivImageickly that there's more of a reward in it. Plus all the side games are along the theme of a Western, rather than playing tennis in a crime simulator.
Last edited by Megatron on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

:chew:
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

what are your thoughts on the Fletch movies
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

Well I saw fletch not too long ago and all I can say is that it didn't stand the test of time eh.

Better off with National Lampoon's Vacation movies

https://youtu.be/fVZi2kbSdvU
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

I have never seen Fletch I just liked the picture

Does anyone else think there are too many music genres now. Pick any two words, it's probably a music genre. Tooth Uncle, that's a thing. I liked it better when you had to choose between classical music and ragtime.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Megatron wrote:One of the first games I got on CD was GTA and I loved it, the idea of being in a city, driv[redacted]ickly that there's more of a reward in it. Plus all the side games are along the theme of a Western, rather than playing tennis in a crime simulator.
My very first music CD I bought with my own money was Cypress Hill, I used to blast it when playing GTA. Great synergy I suggest you drop "insane in the brain" when you're peaking after a gouranga!. Have you ever thought about how violent driving games were a thing in the 90s and now they are a thing no more besides GTA? Well maybe they are a thing I don't really know what kinds of games they make these days. Anyway

1994: Quarantine
1996: Death Rally
1997: Carmageddon
1997: Grand Theft Auto

And interstate 76, twisted metal, destruction derby, road rash, all the wipeout-style games, etc.
(if you comment in any of the videos, say "dac brought me here", or "anyone still playing this in 2021?")
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

"The Father" starring Anthony Hopkings is a movie about a lonely old road warrior who impregnates a girl, and is about to become a father for the very first time at the age of 70. This is a romantic comedy with a lot of emotion, love and respect. I don't want to spoil the movie but Anthony Hopkins dies at the end and is replaced by Keanu Reeves, who is the same man but he has been sent back in time to kill his old self. That's called a fatherloop. Then he can be a more age-appropriate father to his child, I think they are making a sequel called "The Father: Road Trip", remember you heard it here first.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I liked those violent racing games, maybe we can podcast about it. I remember there being more stuff about road rage in the 90s, maybe car wars nearly happened
:chew:
Our Host!