Cleanup Crew Wanted

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Taluntain
Sorcerer's Place Admin
Sorcerer's Place Admin

Cleanup Crew Wanted

Post by Taluntain »

As all of you have probably noticed by now, DAC has been falling apart, bit by bit, for a number of years now. As nobody is really in charge here and/or doesn't really want to do anything much with the site, it's been falling into disrepair more and more. I hate to see that happen to any site so consider this an open call for serious candidates to take over and for discussion where (if anywhere) we want DAC to go in the future.

DU and I have some plans for fixing the most pressing issues (like getting off this old, half-broken phpBB), but that's really just a small part of the changes needed around here if DAC is to have any real future. Fixing up DAC would take weeks/months of serious work and dedication so anyone counting on being given a shot at that should take that into account.

There have been a few half-assed attempts at a renewal here over the years but it's all basically died in the conceptual stages or soon after. DAC mostly needs at least one content guy willing to put some effort into sorting out that side of DAC (as a lot of old stuff is just sitting on FTP and hasn't been properly linked to the site in years because nobody bothered) and one code guy to take over and help with all the technical aspects of running a website, upgrading the forums, keeping various scripts up to date and so on.

Needless to say, a great amount of love for Fallout and DAC is a requirement for any candidate.

If you think you've got what DAC needs (and have references to back you up - please don't waste my time if you're not 100% committed), PM me and tell me why you should be put on the DAC team.
Sorcerer's Place - https://sorcerers.net
Jim the Dinosaur
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Jim the Dinosaur »

just give the keys to pooper he'll know what to do
Like petals
Falling from a dying rose
So does my tears

-Smiley
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I second that motion.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

I third that.
Unfortunately I have no idea about coding but I'd be willing to lend a helping hand for the dying ship that is our beloved DACK. :salute:
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

All familiar conversation points. We seem to revisit this every four months or so, with no real certainty of where to go or who we can get to help it moving.

What is the ideal plan for moving from PhpBB? What comes next?
Taluntain
Sorcerer's Place Admin
Sorcerer's Place Admin

Post by Taluntain »

Right now the plan is to convert it to XenForo, but if all else fails I'll at least upgrade it to latest version of phpBB so that it remains functional.
Sorcerer's Place - https://sorcerers.net
Jim the Dinosaur
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Jim the Dinosaur »

awesome, put in a shoutbox and dack will ride again
Like petals
Falling from a dying rose
So does my tears

-Smiley
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Just doing some reading on XenForo right now. I don't know if we have any plans to, but the possibility of using more types of code and potential to include Java would make the site significantly more useful/powerful.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Dunno. "Managing", "fixing", or even "doing something" are all concepts which are, in my mind, not compatible with DaC.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Are things really that bad around here?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I'm an admin, but I know nothing about coding. My time's limited, but I'm willing to put in work if others are - just need some direction.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Figure out a bare minimum plan.

Just enough effort to keep it running.

Like a Vault that should have opened up many generations ago.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Actually Jim may be onto something; a group instant messenger in java would draw people in, perhaps only a little at first but exponentially over time. I think we should consider starting with that and moving our way upward.

Probably better to focus on one step at a time and not get caught up in the overwhelming nature of the big picture.
SenisterDenister

Would a large influx of new people be a good thing?
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Maybe a decoy front end full of clickbait and ads.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

SenisterDenister wrote:Would a large influx of new people be a good thing?
I imagine it's just going to result in another culling of new blood and the same worn, sullen survivors left behind to laugh and post drunk emoticons. Let's just try to improve ourselves, one step at a time.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

post apocalypse etsy, the new fash driven by typical post-zombie humour/people like making things
people are fascinated with the concept of the purge, in which the elysium class individuals reign supreme

"I decide who lives and dies."

What's the point in a post apocalyptic adventure if you are dead. Steampunk is out, future retropunk is in. Orange is the new black, oranges are black, orange juice is black and gall bladder bitter.

How to make kewl Goggles for your mama
How to mod a 3d kaleidoscope into your iPhone 5c
youtube channel in which overweight americans discuss what's wrong with mad max"!"

New style C://dir/w/p new style sheets. irc connected box to the right of quick reply. perhaps an mp3 player integrated into my motherboard loading a terabit of data. data moshing. data smoshing. Kids React to...WASTELAND 2
:chew:
naossano
SDF!
SDF!

Post by naossano »

If i may, in order to keep things fresh and interesting, you should probably add sub-sections about other post-apocalyptic turn-based isometric RPG, like Wasteland 1-2, Underrail, Dead State, Age Of Decadence, etc...

If there is always something new, you are more likely to maintain an activity and those games are likely to interest the same kind of people that loved Fallout.
SenisterDenister

:wheelie:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I concur with that french guy.
Our Host!