Science Articles! September 2013

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Science Articles! September 2013

Post by Manoil »

<strong>[ Mixed Science -> Articles ]</strong>

Hey guys. It's been a while since we've done any of this, but with all of this talk of DaC veterans meeting for random social calls IRL and a desire to breathe more life into the site, it's long past time we all started to contribute to this place. Granted, keeping up with all of the rapid innovations in science is getting progressively harder, but let's talk about some interesting things that've happened this month.

Most of these articles have been taken from Phys.org.

Self-Repairing Concrete

Dr. Diane Gardner has been part of a team at Cardiff University's school of Engineering working on creating concrete capable of sensing damages and repairing them autonomously. This could cut repair costs, pollution, and traffic congestion considerably. The change involves three major functions:
<blockquote><p><em>- The opening of cracks is controlled using fibres which can potentially be made from recycled plastic materials like bottles.
- A bacteria is incorporated into the concrete which starts to rejuvenate when cracks occur. Once damage starts, the bacteria deposits a biological cement which fills in these areas.
- Nano and micro capsules containing a resin or glue healing agent which again is released when damage or cracks start to occur within the concrete structure.</em></p></blockquote>
This could cause drastic changes to locations with infrastructure frequently affected by weather damage from rain and snow.

The article continues and links to related material here.

Similarly, you can read here about the self-healing polymer dubbed the "Terminator" after its resemblance to the T-1000.

Highly-Responsive Exoskeleton Project

The Fraunhofer Institute for Industrial Engineering IAO is one of the players in the Robo-Mate project which began this month. The project aims at designing a human-guided exoskeleton to improve work safety, provide additional work efficiency, and to serve as a lead-in to the inevitable T-51b technology. While anyone keeping their eye on this particular technology field is aware that this isn't the only exoskeleton project underway, the field is moving slowly enough that any news is good news.
<blockquote><p><em>Set to get underway in September 2013, the objective of the Robo-Mate project is to develop an intelligent, easy-to-manoeuvre, and wearable body exoskeleton for manual-handling work. The project comprises 12 partners from 7 European countries, including key players from industry and academia.

The fundamental idea behind Robo-Mate is to enhance work conditions for load workers and facilitate repetitive lifting tasks, thereby reducing the incidence of work-place related injury and disease. As a consequence, productivity, flexibility and the quality of production will increase. Bringing this concept to fruition involves merging human-guided manipulators with computer-controlled industrial robots in order to create a human-guided and computer-supported exoskeleton for use in various industries.

The development includes modelling and simulating the exoskeleton in a virtual-factory environment at the Fraunhofer Institute for Industrial Engineering IAO. Demonstrations of the prototype will be held at INDRA SAS – a French company in the vehicle recycling sector – and COMPA S. A. – a Romanian automotive components manufacturer. The Centro Ricerche Fiat (CRF) will test the exoskeleton in their lab and on the Fiat shop floor.

Putting the Robo-Mate exoskeleton into service will engender practical and far-reaching impacts, including making the industrial work-site safer for skilled personnel, providing a means for workers to apply less physical effort, and facilitating higher-quality outputs resulting in industrial benefit.</em></p></blockquote>

Tianhe-2 Supercomputer - 31 Petaflops

Along with their new breakthroughs in TFET transistors, China has also obtained bragging rights for the world's fastest supercomputer, the Tianhe-2, aka Milkyway-2, measured at speeds of 31 petaflops (30.65) out of a theoretical cap of 49.19, while only running at 90% capacity. The stats were revealed by Jack Dongarra, a University of Tennessee professor, who helps compile the biannual Top 500 list of the world's most powerful supercomputers.
<blockquote><p><em>"On May 28-29, 2013," he wrote in his report on his visit to China, "I had the opportunity to attend an International HPC Forum (IHPCF) in Changsha China, which was organized by the National University of Defense Technology (NUDT)."
Regarding the test, Linpack Benchmark Run (HPL), he was sent "results showing a run of HPL benchmark using 14,336 nodes"; using "50 GB of the memory of each node and achieved 30.65 Pflop/s out of a theoretical peak of 49.19 Pflop/s or an efficiency of 62.3 percent of theoretical peak performance taking a little over five hours to complete."

Dongarra in describing the interconnect said that the "TH Express-2 uses a fat tree topology with 13 switches each of 576 ports at the top level." He called it an optoelectronics hybrid transport technology.
As for operating system, the Tianhe-2 is using Kylin Linux. Kylin is compatible with other operating systems and supports multiple microprocessors. He also listed "Fortran, C, C++, and Java compilers, OpenMP, and MPI 3.0 based on MPICH version 3.0.4 with custom GLEX (Galaxy Express) Channel support."</em></p></blockquote>
I'm not going to lie; I understand just about none of this, but golly, it sure sounds fakkin' neat!

There's plenty more interesting news out there this month, but very little we can talk in lengths about utility or relation to Fallout. What I'm curious to see unfold is the range of genetic modification advancements and whether or not we can domesticate species via gene therapy in short periods of time as opposed to selective breeding over the course of years.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

SCIEEEEEEEENCE
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Dunno bout the puter.
A distributed env is usually enuff. The age of superputers is over.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

How else would we construct SkyNet?
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Oh. Didn't think about that.
Disregard my previous statement.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

@Heavy Electricity: Worldwide call for Induction Reduction!

@ Brass Eye Gene Switching: That can also happen at random- even in unfertilized eggs. They just start growing random shit and can come out as a blob of gristle with an eye, hairs, cartilage, veins, bits of bone.
Yum!
I first saw that on The Portal of Evil, but it is long gone. :(

The Next Step is to set up Womb Factory Sweatshops where "Surrogate Mothers" are farmed for tissues and organs.
Or go Bene Theilax (scroll down to Axlotl Tanks) and turn women into something like ant/termite queens, with reproductive apparatus forming the majority of their bodies. Then start cranking out clones/cyborg RealDolls.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Manoil wrote:How else would we construct SkyNet?
Yes, indeed.

Some kind of hive intelligence may be supported by Cloud Computing (and technically human brains are a modular enterprise- but the neurons have to be close by to operate efficiently, limiting maximum brain size in existing biological format), but the Main Mind would have to be a supercomp, or several to provide redundancy. The redundant units may diverge over time, leading to much hilarity- or as part of a calculated plan to avoid cyber-stagnation (or both).
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

The Future of Science.

Just to tide over until I finish digesting my sci-mag subscriptions for this month.

Tangentially:
I miss OMNI.
OMNI Tribute and Cover Art Archive, and other stuff.
OMNI Scanned Article/Issue Archive.

OMNI 1985, when people were freaking out about Japan:

Coincidence, was September Issue. (IIRC)
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Redeye wrote:
@Heavy Electricity: Worldwide call for Induction Reduction!

@ Brass Eye Gene Switching: That can also happen at random- even in unfertilized eggs. They just start growing random shit and can come out as a blob of gristle with an eye, hairs, cartilage, veins, bits of bone.
Yum!
I first saw that on The Portal of Evil, but it is long gone. :(

The Next Step is to set up Womb Factory Sweatshops where "Surrogate Mothers" are farmed for tissues and organs.
Or go Bene Theilax (scroll down to Axlotl Tanks) and turn women into something like ant/termite queens, with reproductive apparatus forming the majority of their bodies. Then start cranking out clones/cyborg RealDolls.
Well, what do you know? Has science gone too far?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-24282498
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

We'll know science has gone too far when we see the five-assed monkey.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Retlaw83 wrote:We'll know science has gone too far when we see the five-assed monkey.
How about the purple-assed baboon
Our Host!