Synthetic Organisms: The Silicone Jellyfish

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Synthetic Organisms: The Silicone Jellyfish

Post by Manoil »

<strong>[ Bioengineering -> Article ]</strong>

Part of a new wave of engineering artificial organisms (that at least appear to be emulating life perfectly), the folks at Harvard and Caltech have turned inanimate silicone and cardiac muscle cultures into a living, swimming jellyfish. Well, living only in the sense that it moves without stimuli. Either way, shit's gone mad, yo.
<blockquote><p><em>The finding serves as a proof of concept for reverse engineering a variety of muscular organs and simple life forms. It also suggests a broader definition of what counts as synthetic life in an emerging field that has primarily focused on replicating life's building blocks.

The researchers' method for building the tissue-engineered jellyfish, dubbed "Medusoid," was published in a Nature Biotechnology paper on July 22.

An expert in cell- and tissue-powered actuators, coauthor Kevin Kit Parker has previously demonstrated bioengineered constructs that can grip, pump, and even walk. The inspiration to raise the bar and mimic a jellyfish came out of his own frustration with the state of the cardiac field.

Similar to the way a human heart moves blood throughout the body, jellyfish propel themselves through the water by pumping. In figuring out how to take apart and then rebuild the primary motor function of a jellyfish, the aim was to gain new insights into how such pumps really worked.</em></p></blockquote>
"Grip, pump, and walk"? Sounds sexy.

The article continues here.

Spotted @ ScienceDaily
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

If it stands to reason that in emulating standard muscle functions and low-level brain activity with AI, that we could replace endangered/rare organisms with constructs, what does that mean for artificial life? Or even natural life? I would imagine the extinction of natural life with a replacement of inorganic creatures to be very :Megaman:
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

That's not how nature works though.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Well, obviously. But the question stands: what foreseeable impact could this have, if implemented in other places?
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

The weather is unseasonably heavy with bastards.

Post by Blargh »

Perhaps now I can have a pet unicorn. A murderous one. :drunk:
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Do you ever dabble in Minecraft, Sir Blargh?
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

WHERE'S A CUBE.

Post by Blargh »

No longer, due to the jealous nature of lego. :drunk:
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Hahahah, okay. Much of my spare time has been in there, treating it as a digital zen garden to maintain my sanity. Couple really great mods have diversified the world tenfold without removing my ability to play online. Pretty great.
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

If they can do this, and made a microscopic nano tech bass guitar in 1997 or w/e... who knows how much of our higher brain functions are already controlled by the 1% with nanotech?

/tinfoilhat
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

So this pulsating 'thing' is made of silicone and muscle.

I don't see the novelty in that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xevW-QIyBnc
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

@VasikkA

Would you prefer an article on silicone orgasms?

I'm sure google is overflowing with those.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Manoil wrote:If it stands to reason that in emulating standard muscle functions and low-level brain activity with AI, that we could replace endangered/rare organisms with constructs, what does that mean for artificial life? Or even natural life? I would imagine the extinction of natural life with a replacement of inorganic creatures to be very :Megaman:
BIOT:
Biological robot, a term used in the novel Rendezvous with Rama and its sequels, and later adopted by the authors of The New Jedi Order; see also Cyborg

Too bad it is only a disambiguation page.

All is not lost:
Synthetic Biology
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

****I dont believe this, but i got chill bumps …….

A SCARY WAY TO BREAK UP!!!!! DO NOT stop reading this or something bad will happen!!!!!!!!

One day, Sarah was walking home from school when her boyfriend drove by and honked at her to get in. She got in his car and he drove her to the lake. Her boyfriend said he was going to tell her something very important.

Sarah could have sworn he was going to propose. However, he flicked her off, pushed her in the lake and yelled, “I am breaking up with you, you awful …….!! I hate you and I think that maybe you should just end your ………….. life! DUMB ………………..!!!�

He laughed and drove off. It was a very cold day. Sarah climbed out of the lake, freezing cold, and feeling the worst she had in her entire life. She got home went in a hot bath, and slit her wrists and died in the bathtub.

Her parents yelled and screamed at her to get out until they finally broke the door down. They saw no body, but the entire bathroom was dripping with her blood. Her mom went insane and killed herself three days later, her dad is in prison, accused of murder.

Later that week, Sarah’s exboyfriend was taking a shower when she came from the drain, rotting and bloody, with a razor in her hand and said “Goodbye Jason.� She cut his throat before he could scream.

If you do not repost this with the title “1 scary way to break up�, you are a heartless …………..and Sarah come to you in the shower from the drain, and will kill you the same way she killed her boyfriend. 24 ppl have broken this chain and died

You have 13 minutes
:chew:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Can't stop looking at this.
Our Host!