The world of Fallout takes another eerie step closer

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Kreegle
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

The world of Fallout takes another eerie step closer

Post by Kreegle »

<strong>[ -> N/A]</strong>

Time to sell your crappy two-door Honda's and jump aboard the Fallout-train! Next stop - the Highwayman, baby!<blockquote><em>Before the year is over, someone somewhere in California will be driving a vehicle powered by hydrogen. <br><br>That was the forecast delivered by Honda on Wednesday, when it announced that the state and federal governments had certified its new fuel cell cars.</em></blockquote>First there's the US army's plan for power armor... then there's giant chunks of rock hurtling towards the earth... and now fuel cells for cars! Here's a wee bit more to get you interested:<blockquote><em>Fuel-cell vehicles are an improvement over electric cars, because their power supply can be taken on board, and they are cleaner than hybrid cars, which use both electric and internal combustion engines. <br><br>The downsides are their cost, which are thousands of dollars higher than standard autos, and the difficulty in developing a wide array of hydrogen pumping stations.

</em></blockquote>OK... so they're not <!-- BBCode Start --><B>fusion cells</B><!-- BBCode End --> (thanks Saint)... but c'mon. Do the creators of Fallout subscribe to the same newsletter Nostradamus did? I don't know... but these coincidences are beginning to get a little too creepy. All I can say is I hope your backyard vault is at least 10% finished. Read more about your post-apocalyptic mode of transportation <a href="http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... N13709.DTL" target="_blank">here.</a> Cheers IKnowWangFu!
Last edited by Kreegle on Fri Jul 26, 2002 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haplo

Post by Haplo »

Huzzah! Let the world of Fallout come swiftly to us!

That fuel cell car does sound very nifty though...but I like my car!
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Let's invent F.E.V, one of us can change out name to richard grey and we're almost there.
:chew:
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Fuel cells have nothing to do with Fallout, Kreegie-poo.

Hydrogen fuel is fed into the "anode" of the fuel cell. Oxygen (or air) enters the fuel cell through the cathode. Encouraged by a catalyst, the hydrogen atom splits into a proton and an electron, which take different paths to the cathode. The proton passes through the electrolyte. The electrons create a separate current that can be utilized before they return to the cathode, to be reunited with the hydrogen and oxygen in a molecule of water.

A fuel cell system which includes a "fuel reformer" can utilize the hydrogen from any hydrocarbon fuel - from natural gas to methanol, and even gasoline. Since the fuel cell relies on chemistry and not combustion, emissions from this type of a system would still be much smaller than emissions from the cleanest fuel combustion processes.
Notice that they take hydrocarbon based fuels, i.e. petroleum, natural gas, and so on, to work. Those things were depleted before the Great War, which is why FUSION CELLS were used.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
------------------
Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

oh yeah, I cant wait to be walking around in a leather jacket, looking for gas with a sawed of shotgun. :P :P :P
The_one-1
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by The_one-1 »

I didn't hear that the gov. is planning on making Power Armour, where did you hear that from?
Would you like to get high with that?
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

The_one-1 wrote:I didn't hear that the gov. is planning on making Power Armour, where did you hear that from?
DARPA has had "Project Exoskeleton" around for a while now.

http://darpa.mil
------------------
Napoleon
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Napoleon »

Fuel cells, fusion cells, who cares? The "fusion cell" is an entirely fabricated idea -- if you're using fusion in a battery, it's technically not a cell -- so there's no real point in nit-picking here. It's also important to note that the fuel cell stands as a "futuristic" power source, if only because their chief usage is in spacecraft.

As for the exoskeleton... coupled with the gun they're developing whose bullets can turn corners, things are getting QUITE scary.
The_one-1
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by The_one-1 »

well there's no tactical funn in that is there?
Would you like to get high with that?
HanoverF
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by HanoverF »

Aren't corner turning bullets more of a "Runaway" type future?

Ugg Gene Simmons, must go bleach my eyes...
Our Host!