Is Mass Effect 3 worth buying just for the ending?

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Is Mass Effect 3 worth buying just for the ending?

Post by Username »

Holy fuck the reviews here:
http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Xbo ... ewpoints=1

Everyone claim that the storyline and gameplay up to the ending is great.
And then bam...everyone nudge it down to 1-2 stars cause of the ending?

Alright...I'm no "fan" of Mass Effect 1-2, only played them a little with friends and I have never goten into the story. But damnit, for once it feels (feels) like the fans are reacting to harshly.

What can suck so much that it destroys the entire game?
What black hole of convulsing shit can possibly upset so much that it drags all other positive feelings down with it?

Should I get it just to find out?

edit: Seems to me the more I read that people are upset by the sudden realization that their choices had little or no impact. That fate or force can dislodge you from what ever position you have and what ever you have been trying to achieve. And that some people just couldn't handle it.

:?

edit: This video does explain it to a degree tho.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

The best ending can only be achieved by not playing. :meta:

Post by Blargh »

Don't encourage them. Play this instead. I guarantee it's 149% better than ME 3. :drunk:
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Why change, embarassed to know wtf Mac Walters is? HA HA!*

Post by Tofu Man »

Dude, both Blargh and I wrote some shit about it in the other thread, so read that. And if still sounds like something you'd want to play, do yourself a favor and <strike>throw yourself down a fucking cooling tower</strike> buy it from Amazon. They're really nice people. :duckie:

*I had to google it
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: The best ending can only be achieved by not playing. :me

Post by Gimp Mask »

instead of username, put random junk here wrote:this
Is this anything like Escape Velocity Nova? I don't like computer games all that much but I did like that game.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Optimism demands bleach.

Post by Blargh »

It's a lot like EV - N. It's still in alpha, so it's fairly bare boned at the moment, but the author works at a reasonably quick pace and the potential for modding is substantial.

Currently there is only one system to hoon about in. Combat is fleet based, though you can choose to deploy a single vessel/wing of fighters/bombers if you want to. The AI is robust, and mostly avoids catastrophic decisions. There are a few independant missions, and while consensus suggests they tend toward the difficult, they're also a good way to become familar/proficient with the game mechanics. There is a basic economy in place, but most of the current unmodded gameplay consists of maiming pirate, and (usually) later, corporate vessels for fun and profit. A campaign and skill improvement/crew veterancy systems are in the immediate works.

The most striking divergence from the EV - N formula is the absence of Ireland worship and lack of writing that would be not be out of place on fanfiction.net. Primarily due to there not being any plot at this point. Give it time !

Overall, I think it's amusing and am optimistic as to its future development. :drunk:
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Which thread?
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: Optimism demands bleach.

Post by Gimp Mask »

thanks for the elaborate post as usual Blargh. will keep an eye on it :salute: your game recommendations are always good and interesting, but this one really got me excited. (I will probably never play it)
Our Host!