Wasteland 2 Kickstarts

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Wasteland 2 Kickstarts

Post by Tofu Man »

<strong>[ Game -> Update ]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://www.falloutwiki.com/Brian Fargo">Person: Brian Fargo</a> | More info on <a href="http://www.falloutwiki.com/inXile Entertainment">Company: inXile Entertainment</a> | More info on <a href="http://www.falloutwiki.com/Wasteland 2">Game: Wasteland 2</a>

<p>As pointed out by our own St. Toxic, <strong>Brian Fargo</strong>'s Kickstarter adventure has gone live earlier today. My best guess (which is pretty ropey) puts the start at around 1 PM CET (that'd be 7 AM Eastern for you americans, if I'm not mistaken), and you can't really call it anything other than a huge success. 12 hours in, 393 thousand dollars up (it went up 6k in the 5 minutes it took to make this post). There's already an official word on the page:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><em>"WOW!!! You guys are amazing! The fans are really stepping up here with donations and spreading the word. I haven't been more excited to make a game in over a decade. It is a dream to focus all my attention on making a wonderful experience without distraction from outside forces. We will not let you down!"</em></p>
</blockquote>
<p>So, if old school RPGing rocks your boat, or if you just want to contribute to Fargo's retirement fund, <a href="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inx ... d-2">click right here</a> for a piece of future <em><strong>Wasteland 2</strong></em> goodness.</p>
<p>
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px;" width="100" height="100" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/_FTLv50c8Qg?ve ... detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />
<param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_FTLv50c8Qg?ve ... detailpage" />
<param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" />
</object>
</p>
<p>UPDATE: <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">466</span> 468/900 k dollars get! Halfway through and it's not even been 24 hours. Averaging 57$ per "backer". Insane.</p>
<p>UPDATE 2: 24 hours after going live, numbers are as follows: <strong>10.260</strong> backers, <strong>584</strong> grand. At 1000$ or more, a whopping 55 backers out of 100 max. Double Fine's set the standard by grabbing around 1.2 million in 24h, twice what Wasteland 2 got, ending up with 3.3 million. If half of that is all that Fargo's going to get, that's still 600k over budget. Things are looking good for the cRPG fan.</p>
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I'm simply amazed at how well these kickstarter projects are doing in terms of raising money.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Coming to an internet near you - Duck and Cover: The Kickstarter.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:I'm simply amazed at how well these kickstarter projects are doing in terms of raising money.
Apparently, RPG/PnC fans grew up to be filthy rich. I missed that memo tho.

Edit- maybe not, turns out the average is much lower than I thought. lolmaths :crazy:
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Tofu Man wrote:Edit- maybe not, turns out the average is much lower than I thought. lolmaths :crazy:
3 people (at the time of this writing) donated $10,000. I don't care if the average is lower, that right there is ridiculous. Awesome, but ridiculous.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

I didn't necessarily doubt, but I was kinda worried about the funding of a sequel to a 25 year old computer game. Necromancy is a built in skill gamers have developed over the years, I guess.

Anyway, fucken stoked, mate. Haven't even put down yet and it's just shy of 500K as I write this. :chew:

I'm gonna prolly throw down 100 or so and some for Codex to get the statue. Would reckon DaC should have one as well but I don't think the 5 people who post here could reach 5K no offense ocurse :drunk:
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I'll maybe do $100. I honestly don't know if they can make a good game, the idea sounds good though.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:I'll maybe do $100. I honestly don't know if they can make a good game, the idea sounds good though.
It can't be worse than anything EA or Zenimax sends their minions out to construct. at least we know their (Fargo n' Sons) intentions are good if anything, and the ball is certainly rolling for a new direction of game development.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Wolfman Walt wrote:Awesome, but ridiculous.
'Words right outta my mouth. I mean, I can understand if you're, say, a games mag and you give 1000$ and get 20 boxes to give to your staff or to set up a contest for the readers, but 10k?

500k. At this rate they'll fund the sequels as well, although I can't imagine this keeps up for much longer. :drunk:
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

I've heard some rumors circulating that Notch and Avellone are two of the folks that payed 10k.
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

Not sure about Avellone, but Notch and CliffyB are confirmed 10k backers.
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

It's pretty cool. Too bad our community is so dispersed, or we could have pitched in for a cameo appearance. If anything, DAC deserves to be a piece of the Wasteland legacy, but I doubt that's going to happen. Still, we might get a good game out of this one. :dance:
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Could we pitch in and have Dreadnaught as an npc?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

A. Obviously Rex would be the superior choice.
B. The 10,000 or more backers are up to 6 and they're almost where they want to be, sitting at 818k at this moment. It's been slightly over 24 hours.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

100% funded in 42 hours and 30 minutes.

lol doubters. lol.
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

And now we wait a year for the game to develop.

To role-playing games! May the genre never die!

:salute:
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

I just trew down $50. I'm usually the bargain bin/used/e-bay buyer, I never rush out to buy games new, but this is a worthy cause.

Wonder what Bethesduh thinks of this...
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

ImageImage
Our Host!