Tim Cain to stay on at Obsidian Full-time

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

There used to be some really good online-multiplayer mods for Arcanum back in the days. I tried searching for the mods im thinking of, but the internet has changed so much over the years.

That game was the shit come to think of it.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Re: 10 A CAR

Post by Stalagmite »

And there's some of us that enjoy Arcanum and Planescape: Torment even more so than the original Fallout's. :chew:

(If you think about it, Chris Avellone was a lead designer for Planescape whilst Tim Cain was for Arcanum, so taking the best of both worlds with Cain now with Obsidian could lead to a game of orgasmic proportions.)
Blargh wrote:Be sure to look into the stellar works of Chris Beddoes, also. Some uniformly master class modding acumen, oh yes. :drunk:
I don't think the older mods are compatible with the newer ones like patches n stuff so delve at ur own risk.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

To me, Fallout has the best blend between Arcanum and Torment; the open world and the multitudes of options, yet a story that feels incredibly coherent and engaging. Torment is closer than Fallout to the adventure game approach to rpg's, and Arcanum is more of a loosely knitted sandbox than Fallout was. In essence, when you achieve the perfect harmony between these two aspects, you get rpg gold. It's just that it's a worn, old sock these days and it's hard to be objective about it, whether for praise or criticism, especially after all the spin-offs which are in a sense part of the overall experience.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

I enjoyed the atmosphere/setting and the character building in Arcanum much more than I did Fallout, though yes, Fallout had better dialogue sequences (though nowhere near as mighty as Planescape).

I feel like this discussion could be a copy-paste of something 10 years ago, but then again, I'm just replaying all of them now and somehow enjoying them more in 2012 than I did back when.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Probably age giving you better perspective. I have a deeper appreciation of what Fallout 2 does at 29 than I did at 19.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

Is it drugs, hookers and graphic violence? :dance:
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

Actually, this guy might have the answer:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc2drosgKk4

Starts at 8 minutes.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

^Cool video, very informative. Cain worked his ass off almost single-handedly to make Fallout happen

I'm wondering how Tim Cain is going to fit in with MCA and Fergus. Honestly, Obsidian doesn't really seem Tim Cain-y considering that MCA has no problem working with consoles and crappy engines from other companies whilst Tim Cain strikes me as a PC only "cool guy" who syncs with the hardcore Crpg players and builds games around that concept.

MCA has even admitted that he doesn't really particularly care for Planescape: Torment, despite enjoying working on it...

I'm guessing Cain is rationalizing that Obsidian designs games that are at least a little more "hardcore" than other leading contenders in the genre and with the success of New Vegas, there's plenty of opportunities for Obsidians future, so he said "Why not?"

That, or he has a crush on MCA. :giggle:
Our Host!