Game you're playing. How far you are.

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Getting pretty decent at Tribes Ascend. Have a VIP account so I'm generating beta keys if anyone is interested.
Gecko
Respected
Respected

Post by Gecko »

Fallout 2 on Android
I'm too lazy to try it out. :( I'm playing X-Com Terror From the Deep now. I just need to capture a Tasoth Commander to finish the game.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Alpha Protocol.Is.Fucking.Amazing!

Why is it that good games get swept under the radar whilst shit games beacon deceit and false senses of wonders. (?))(!)
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Because succesful games have the widest appeal. And widest appeal means lowest common denominator.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Retlaw83 wrote:Because succesful games have the widest appeal. And widest appeal means lowest common denominator.
I think there's a little bit more to it than that, bud. you have consider the marketing value of the product and the initial "splash" of when you first pop the game in. Alpha Protocol is a fantastic game but it does start out pretty rough, which probably turned off <50% of potential fans who in which spread the word that it's a bad game.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a successful game, and has roughly the same amount of depth as AP. With their marketing, and the past success of the Deus Ex "franchise", not to mention the game starting out quite "actiony", it sold.

Obsidian pretty much fails at marketing. Add bugs (though usually minor) and rough starts to the list, and you see Obsidian's full potential fall short, and an inflated bad reputation on their part.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

DON KNOTTS WAS RIGHT

Post by Blargh »

Pothole Lederhose wrote:radar
Because MONEY.

If you haven't already, be sure to play through again but with a polar attitude shift with regard to conversation and decisions. It's almost an entirely different game. Quite remarkable, really.
Higgledy Doctorate wrote:depth
Ahahaha. Priceless. :drunk:
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Stalag, if it'd been a really good game, it'd have stood on its own 2 legs regardless of marketing. As much as I liked Alpaca, the shooty bits weren't very good (not to mention silly unbalanced (handgun)), and DEHR largely showed how they shoulda been done instead. Add to that that people who buy RPGs expect to play action games where you talk to npcs and the shooting mechanics went way above most people's heads.

Their semi-indepence does mean that they're not likely to get the full brunt of a big distri's marketing powers but again, if they made really good games, they'd sell, even if at the end of the day they still won't outsell shit like Skyrim. And I think we're to gain from that.

Also, teh above might not make much sense, :drunk:

EDIT- OHAI NINJA'D BY BLARGH, HOW CUNTLY?
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Phasers set to judicial smarm.

Post by Blargh »

The shadow of the pseudo-meritocracy. Games as industry. Games journalism. Preconceptions. Busy schedules. The tyranny and the terror of choice. Deliberate and selective bias of perception. Blatant hypocrisy. Black versus green. Obsidian versus Square Enix. Ahaha. Games as Industry. Blah fucking blah. :drunk:
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Blargh, I know your brain is too fagged up to realize that gaming is a business, but please try to stay positive and write something constructive once in a while.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

And the cantaloupe yelled at the moon. Checkmate.

Post by Blargh »

Helga, I know you're far too limited by what passes for your anencephalic mess of spasmodically firing nerves to realise exactly what sort of forum this is, to comprehend anything more than the face, or dress yourself unassisted.

Constructive ? Here ? By the standard of you ? Ahahahaha.

Scathing. :drunk:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

OKAY

Post by Blargh »

hey dont fret ill pare it down for you okay

you are so very dumb youll never realise just how very dumb you are

hell you might even believe youre not very dumb

how dumb is that

very dumb

:drunk:
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

QED :chick:
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Re: OKAY

Post by Manoil »

Blargh wrote:DDDUMB!
:drunk:
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Now I wanna listen to this for some reason.

Cpt Kirk wrote:Blah fucking blah. :drunk:

EDIT - Why settle for a :clap: when you can have professional-korean-clap-artist-on-yet-another-unexplainable-gif? I'm sure Manny Calavera won't mind.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Let just set this straight. AP wasn't a good game because the combat and level design were so bad, even if the storyline and talking bits were good they can't make up that much. If the combat wasn't a main focus I could let it slide but it was a large focus and therefore it makes the game largely shit. It was too bad but kind of expected, the part that requires the most precision and tweaking like the combat is something obsidian just can't do.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

MY SUBJECTIVITY > YOUR SUBJECTIVITY

Post by Blargh »

Let's just set this straight : you are wrong. AP was a good game in spite of the wonky combat mechanics and lacklustre level design. If you're the sort of soul who can't see past that and, thus, feels compelled to condemn it along with all that it did well, you should probably gobackto<strike>halo</strike>codlewl (sic). :drunk:
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:Let just set this straight. <strike>AP</strike> Skyrim wasn't a good game because the combat and level design were so bad, even if the storyline and talking bits <strike>were good</strike> weren't fucking horrible they can't make up that much. If the combat wasn't a main focus I could let it slide but it was a large focus and therefore it makes the game largely shit. It was too bad but kind of expected, the part that requires the most precision and tweaking like the combat is something <strike>obsidian</strike> bethesda just can't do.
FTFY

If average combat and level design were any sort of a worthwhile measure, the game depicted above wouldn't have gotten straight AA from everyone and their grandparents. Hype's some nasty poop, Poop. Unfortunately, if Obsidian gets any, it's usually the negative kind. :duckie:
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

So I bought Space Marine during this past weekend's steam sale for ten dollars. Its pretty fun. Nice and visceral. The lack of dedicated servers online are killing me, though. If it had those it would really be a gem.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

Curb stomping across the universe!
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Our Host!