The Grey

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

The Grey

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

This is a movie starring Liam Neeson who plays a guy that works in a petroleum plant up in Alaska (or somewhere that is extremely cold) as a guy who snipes at wolfs to protect the people from being attacked by them. They all go on leave and enter a plane to go back to Anchorage Alaska but the plane goes down and this is where the movie starts.

The movie is like "Alive" but with bad ass wolves that keep attacking them, it's probably the manliest idea of a movie ever. Just reading that description gives me a boner that it breaks through the roof, it's an idea that is universally cool to any real man. Although the idea of the movie sounds like its going to be a fast paced action movie, the movie isn't really like that. It deals a lot with the lives of the guys and how hopeless the situation is that they are in, they really push that fact of "this is hell." The movie is fairly weird in that it appeases fans of intense B movie cool stuff with like real meaty stuff of an A movie. All the characters have character to them and the conflict between some of the characters are done pretty good.

The wolves really add to the film as you never know when they are going to come and tear you up. They even throw in an "alpha male" wolf into the story and it's cool hearing Liam neeson talking about wolves.

Now everything about this movie sounds awesome and I thought it was pretty good but there was somethings I thought held it back a bit. In moments it got a bit slow and doesn't really keep up the excitement from when they are being attacked by wolves, but I feel like those scenes probably added to hopelessness of everything. Also the ending was something I didn't really dig but I hear they added stuff after the credits (don't like when they do that) but other than that is was a good movie and I would recommend it to DACKers.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

I watched and liked it. The ending was good. There's really no other way to put it.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I too missed the stuff after the credits, but for me, this is really sets the bar high for 2012. As for the slowness, I really didn't mind it. It allowed the movie to build up good dramatic tension cause if a movie is just all EXCITEMENT, it gets boring. The slow moments make the intense shit all the better.
SenisterDenister

Wait, there was something after the credits?
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

The night scenes, especially the first one with the torch. BEST.

The collection of glowing eyes just made me kinda curl up in a ball of fear as I was watching. It's been a long time since I've felt that grade of genuine terror in a movie
SenisterDenister

This movie was genuinely more intense than any horror movie I've watched in the past few years.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Yes, I agree I felt a lot of tension in this movie compared to a horror movie in general. Best part was probably when they ran into the woods at night, though I felt like they could never out run these wolves gosh.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Time to be a spoiler for you dicks without patience: after the credits, the camera rolls onto a scene. All the wolves are dead, save for the Alpha, lying on his side, with Neeson's head rested against his stomach. It's essentially a repeat of the first wolf kill of the movie, except Neeson's dying too.

Soak it in.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

lions and tigers and wolves oh my
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

...really phoned it in, eh?
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

are u serious
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

He's HIV Serious.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Manoil wrote:except Neeson's dying too.
There's no proof of that statement.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

True, but he's lying against the alpha. It seems the most likely of circumstances given what he went through, although considering it's Neeson, I wouldn't exactly be surprised if he was just taking a breather before getting up and walking away.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Do you fear your postbox ? YOU SHOULD.

Post by Blargh »

Probably just a broken hip ? :walkitoff:

:drunk:
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Manoil wrote:True, but he's lying against the alpha. It seems the most likely of circumstances given what he went through, although considering it's Neeson, I wouldn't exactly be surprised if he was just taking a breather before getting up and walking away.
It's just a repeat of the opening scene. It's mostly up to viewer intepretation if he lives or not, really.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Say what you will, but it seemed as though he was embracing his end just as much as the wolf was.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

what's with all the manlove in this thread

:elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant:
:elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant:

:ing_garlic:
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Wolfman Walt wrote:
Manoil wrote:True, but he's lying against the alpha. It seems the most likely of circumstances given what he went through, although considering it's Neeson, I wouldn't exactly be surprised if he was just taking a breather before getting up and walking away.
It's just a repeat of the opening scene. It's mostly up to viewer intepretation if he lives or not, really.
Even if it's up to interpretation, it's almost a certainty that he would have died. He had just taken a swim in a river and has wet cloths and then got in a fight with a pack of wolves on top of everything they already went through.
Our Host!