The Rise and Fall of Interplay

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Retlaw83 wrote:Although those titles don't compare well gameplay wise to older games(...)
I don't know if this is what you mean, but I have it to myself that (mainstream) games of late have been creating a bigger and bigger disconnect between input and reaction. I'd use Street Fighter 2 or Streets of Rage as an example of responsive controls/gameplay where you press a button and it reacts almost instantly, creating a model in which your timing in button presses is directly equated to your skill in the game.
Now get Skyrim. You press the attack and there's like 50 or 60 frames of animation between your input and some kind of result (and that's when the animation starts at the button press, which it sometimes doesn't) and I find that extremely unsatisfying. It's like you have to execute ahead. And of course, timing is shot and the capacity for skillful execution is out the window.

Same thing with shooters. What with different aspect ratios and a ever growing min-max difference in resolution and refresh rates, not to mention different DPIs in mouses and Windows' inate mouse acceleration, with all this shit, every time I run a shooter I get a feeling that UT used to be much more precise in aiming, more responsive, hence much more satisfying to play.

It's weird, sometimes I feel as if I've just suddenly loss my reaction time and overall gaming skills just like that.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I know what you mean. Even in Dragon Age and SR3, two games I cited as good, have those sorts of issues, and Fallout NV does if you're a melee character or have your gun holstered.

Dragon Age it's not quite so bad because you can queue attacks like in an MMO, but SR3 has some issues. SR3 is one of the few games where I don't mind QTE, because it's generally done well, but a lot of times it feels like what was going to happen is going to happen even if I didn't hit the button. And if you're driving and want to get off your first shot, if you don't aim with the right mouse about it takes three seconds for your character to put their gun out of the window, THEN they fire the shot - and by that time you've either zipped past or your target has moved.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Our Host!