How corrupt is IGN?

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

How corrupt is IGN?

Post by Username »

If you browse through IGN's reviews you see that they ALWAYS give (something like 95 cases out of 100) better scores for PC games from big makers than what users do and often bash down on games that are unique and from smaller developers.

For example Command and Conquer 4 recives 7.1 from them and 4.7 from users.

While the FPS where you're inside a Moscow underground (forgot the name, it's based on a novel) gets something like 8.0 from users and 6.0 from them.

I think I've also heard of scandals involving them and admitted bribes.
Not to mention their very "objective", non-hyped interviews with Fallout 3 makers.

All that aside I've noticed something even more incredible. Customer reviews and grades on IGN for the game SPORE are many points over the ones on Moby, Gamespy and Amazon.

Amazon average is 1.5 stars
Moby average is 3.7
Gamespy is 4.7

IGN is 8.
Imagine it being elections and two of the biggest newspapers had opinionpolls differing almost 50%. That's statisticly impossible I'd say. Either they are changing the statistics themselves in exchange for money or they are blatantly ignoring the fact that IP's from EA and Maxis dev centers are hitting the site a bit to often.

IGN must be the most corrupt, biased, bought media outlet in the world.
And we are darn lucky it only deals with games. I think it tops the (North)Korean News Agency. Srsly.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Must be their new CEO.

"There are no American infidels in Spore! None, I tell you! What a great game!"
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

IGN does this a lot and receives a lot of flak for it (And rightfully so). There's a pretty high number of games where you'll see IGN being either the highest or lowest mark that sticks out like a sore thumb.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Any development timetable interview is bound to be heavily biased, generally because they're promised said interview on the equal return of a "promising" review of the current status of the game.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Re: How corrupt is IGN?

Post by rad resistance »

Username wrote:IGN must be the most corrupt, biased, bought media outlet in the world.
And we are darn lucky it only deals with games. I think it tops the Fox News Agency. Srsly.
Cow Cud is a twin.
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

I'd tend to agree. Just for the fact I have a plethora of spam sites in my HOSTS file that contain the same first 5 or 6 characters as IGN's websites, on purpose.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

rad resistance wrote:
Username wrote:IGN must be the most corrupt, biased, bought media outlet in the world.
And we are darn lucky it only deals with games. I think it tops the Faux News Agency. Srsly.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

thanks for letting me know i was wondering why my huge stack of games was shit. curse you ign lol *shakes fits*
:chew:
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

Username wrote:If you browse through IGN's reviews you see that they ALWAYS give (something like 95 cases out of 100) better scores for PC games from big makers than what users do and often bash down on games that are unique and from smaller developers.
IGN still owns PC gamer does it not?

I remember back when the original Operation Flashpoint had just been released, its immediate competition was Ghost Recon, and the bias against newcomer developer Bohemia Interactive was blatant.

Not only did they give the game a terrible review, but in other parts of the magazine they made a point of trying to critically tear the game down whilst speaking in laudatory tones about how great Ghost Recon was.

Ghost Recon was shite, and now nearly 10 years later Bohemia Interactive is the final word in tactical military simulation.

I stopped reading PC gamer after that issue, they were dead to me, I had never seen videogame journalism as atrocious as that, nor would I ever want to.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

deleted
Last edited by cazsim83 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

lol who gives a shit? I never go there.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Every game site is bought out. Anyone who believes otherwise is a naive fool, otherwise Bethesda's marketing department wouldn't be as extensive as it is to make up for their shit product. That applies to a lot more companies and not just Bethsoft, but they're a fair example of it.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

SenisterDenister wrote:That applies to a lot more companies and not just Bethsoft, but they're a fair example of it.
Not really. Try Microsoft, EA, and Activision. The worst Bethesda does is put the money they make to shit uses like stealing franchises or filing lawsuits and making OK-at-best games that are overrated.

Skyrim looks pretty awesome though, I saw a lot of the leaked 3 hour footage and the crafting system is definitely something I'm interested in.

But anyway I'm sure that whole 4chan thing is a hoax, KoC, commun now. :eyebrow:
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Have you guys read the comments on that article? Honey Badgers and Spider-Man
Our Host!