Octobrae

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Octobrae

Post by Megatron »

horror film month for horror films. I've tried to watch at least 1 a night but I'm not sure if I have? Who knows.

Nightmare on elm street 1 - I hadn't seen any of these before so thought, why THE FUCK not. The first one was actually pretty good, I always thought of freddy krueger as a shitty slasher with a few more gimmicks but this one was pretty good. Better than hellraiser in fact, gosh.

NOES 2 - This one was also good. Probably as close to a direct sequel to the first, natural wise. Some good body morphing and killings.

NOES 3 - Starts to turn shit. The killungs are a little more creative in that the dreamscape concept is explored a little more deeper but its a bit gimmicky. Stop here if you liked 1 and 2, duh.

NOES 4 - cant remember this one too wel. similar to 3 but a bit boring. still as surreal as 3 but didnt really go too deep though the bit with the insect is fun enough. starts to have the villain as a comedic shit head which isnt good. horror films can either take themsevles seriously and end up in space or take the piss out of themselves and end up a big fat box of shit, as seen in the nightmare franchise, whatever

NOES 5 - the dream child! bit of backstory, bit of bullshit. went a bit beyond the plot of the first four films but still. its bullshit.

NOES 6 - real dogshit. if it wasnt tied at all to krueger itd be the type of film you watch early morning and wonder if it was some shitty dream. whic isnt really a good thing as this one has a shitty computer game sequence then the end is p. terrible. no real scares or spooks at all, jeez

NOES 7 - instead of space maybe the real world lol. this one was alright. a bit like curb your enthusiasm with krueger instead of cheryl or whatever. you could watch the first 3 and skip to this and thats fine : )

Nightmare on Elm Street remake - shitty slasher with 'micronaps' to make it more exciting or something. no englund.

friday the 13th - I quite like the original. its slow as shit and not as intense as texas chainsaw or as creepo crawlo as halloween but it put out the idea and thats alright

friday the 13th remake - I thought this wasn't too bad either. It had the concept of Jason down alright, all the teenagers were dicks and it had a decent general atmospere. cherry pciked some of the good ideas from texas chainsaw or whatever, but it turned out alright in the end. gets a bit of a bad rap but, its a friday the 13th film.

Freddy vs. Jason - most horror films from 95 are going to have cgi in, which i think spoils the rawness and visceraallnesss of a lot of the 70s and 80s shit, which sort of spoils this film a bit. I'd have liked to have seen this filmed in the early 90s to tie up both franchises but people only seem to want to sell out when the horse is dead and fucked to death or whatever. the plot isnt too bad and the film in general is fun but theres some dumb as shit bits of course. i like the idea of ;vs films but id like them more if there wasnt a fan base and therfore fan wankery like if they did district 9 vs oldboy or whaever probably not that but use your imagination because thats the awy you get freed from nightmares oprib lol

saw 7 or 8 - the last saw film they made. I watched them all last year and they werre pretty good except 5. this one was retreading usual shit but it tied up most loose ends and had good killongs which is wehat horror is about probably. danger, release, danger, release, so on

the fly - good

the hills have eyes remake - still would like to watch the original but ive read enough about it to think ive seen it so i wont. i think the reamkes alright, escpecally that fuck in the wheelchair. sometimes i thought it was a little soullesss and i didnt give a shit who lived or died but thats ok sometimes : )

the last exorcism - its a video camera horror film, sort of. the first halfs more like a comedy and the last half is a bit like rec, but thats fine. good stuff for the most part so, whatever. if you like exorcism watch this lolol

isolation - a film set in ireland on a farm about mutant cows. its pretty good if you accept the antagonist is a cow.

critters - i watched this a while back and liked it. rewatching it it felt a bit shit as the main driving force in the film are the alien bounty hunters with the critters just being gremlin ripoffs but its still fun enough. hillbilly fucks getting eaten by porcupine pugs.

amityville horror - when i was a baba mama used to say this film would give me nightmares for the rest of my life, but it hasnt the idea of having nightmares for the rest of my life was p. scary. the film itself is alright, though I think shit like the exorcist and poltergeist sort of trumps it it builds up tension and shit so whatveer!!!

the grudge - pah

pumpkinhead - one of ym favourite horror films because its about a demon called pumpkinhead killing people really brutally duh.

the shining - yeah

wicker man - yeahhhhhhh

inferno - 1980s film about a haunted house or something by argento? I always get him mixed up with fulci, but i liked this better than suspriai anyway. same bold colours, stupid plot, general menace. give it a raz if. u. dare. no, do.

ive watched more i cant remember them all now whatveer this posts probably long as fuck.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Last good horror film I remember watching was Teh Myst. The rest of them lately is like they turn the volume all the way down and then BAM shout something in your ear to schok scare you, that shit gets old in about 2 seconds.

Dreamcatcher is cool, more so for the weird cast than for the movie. Tho I kinda dig movies based off stephen king stuff, even if its the same story over and over, people get caught on mountain town, snow/myst happens, psycho/monsters show up.

Oh paranormal activiteh 1 was good, I was suitably taken with the nighttime scenes.

There's always Alien, might be the only one who likes 1 better than 2. Fuck that game over shit, man, gimme John Hurt getting his chest blown off and Weaver in flimsy panties instead.

You got the original nippon Ring(u), good shit.

Also, Attack of The Killer Tomatoes. Best, Horror. Film, Ever.

Oh and going with the whole Carpenter routine down there, Assault on Precinct 13. Classic.

EDIT for great Tucker & Dale. Good hick humor shit. Not enough tits, tho.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

In the Mouth of Madness, a great Carpenter film.

Pan's Labyrinth, a good movie by Guillermo Del Toro.

That said, anything by Del Toro is good.

28 Days Later.

28 Weeks Later is good too, but it doesn't follow the same formula and a lot of people don't like it because of that, but since it deals with different issues I think its a good movie regardless.

Night of the Living Dead - a Halloween classic, I watch it every year.

Dawn of the Dead, the original.

Day of the Dead, its all right.

Diary of the Dead is okay if you're in a zombie mood.

Godzilla, the original.

A friend of mine also showed a Korean film called I Saw the Devil a few weeks ago, and I thought it was pretty good.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the 1978 version).

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Halloween, a classic Carpenter movie.

The Omen (the original).

Dog Soldiers.

Jacob's Ladder.

And last, but certainly not least, Army of Darkness and the Evil Dead series.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

28 Days/28 Weeks and Alien/Aliens had the same split of a horror movie followed by an action-horror[ish] movie. Both good, in both cases, but for different reasons.

Korean and Japanese horror has some good shit. I was on a kick awhile back. A very different vein than the last decade plus of American horror which I thought was pretty shit.

We'll start out with the Japanese and K-crap:

Premonition was alright.

Audition for some Takashi Miike.

Ichi the Killer for more Takashi Miike, I guess it's technically horror, everyone should see it anyway for fucking awesome [edit, thanks Sus, hugs].

Reincarnation.

Retribution.

Ju-on [The Grudge].

Kaidan [no guarantees here, haven't watched it yet]

Blood: The Last Vampire if you can stomach anime.

The Eye.

Random Euro:

Le Pacte de Loup.

Nosferatu because :classic:

Frontier(s), French hack n' slash, but decent.

Deathwatch was alright.

Back to America...

The Omega Man because FUCK YEAH.

The Birds.

Psycho.

Fuck, anything Carpenter did.

The Shining for :kubrick: factor.

Carrie because why not.

Evil Dead, duh.

Lost Boys because hell yeah.

Hell, I dunno, it's a huge genre. That'll keep you occupied for awhile.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Silly yanks and their Halloween. :giggle:
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Free candy when you're a kid and scaring kids when you're grown up. Also drunken debauchery. What's not to love?

Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Dental malfunction and receiving sexual assault charges. :drunk:
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Stalagmite wrote:Dental malfunction and receiving sexual assault charges. :drunk:
Unlike the "99%" that are bleeding out in major city parks because they're too fucking lazy to find a job I HAVE medical coverage, my teeth are fine. I said scaring kids on Halloween, not touching them inappropriately, clearly you have more to worry about as an adult in your own country than silly holidays if raping children is the first thing that comes to mind when someone says "boo."

Edit. Back on track now, with less bullshit from the masses.

Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

here are a few off the top of my head that haven't been mentioned yet maybe:
severance
dead snow
shaun of the dead
outpost
the descent
martyrs
from dusk till dawn
[rec]
onibaba
hausu
re-animator 3
maximum overdrive
the final destination 3D because its 3D obviously
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

I go for the Cronenberg stuff - Scanners, Dead Zone, Fly, Existenz, the Brood and those others I can't remember :drunk:
jetbaby wrote: Kaidan [no guarantees here, haven't watched it yet]
Old but good, heavy on the atmosphere. Great visuals. Eerie.
onibaba
I like this one, very dark and depraved.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Existenz was an incredibly disappointing movie.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

That was a good post, Megatron.

I always loved horror movies as a kid, my neighbor had Jason card board stand ups and he had all the horror movies I wanted to watch.

NOES was always my favorite series though I have to admit I think I only seen a few of them. First one is good and the second one was okay but kind of weird. The only other ones I remember was the fourth one when those kids go to a town in a white van. Then there was that one where Wes Craven came back and tried to reinvent the series, it had a good concept but sucked shit.

I liked the Halloween movies but they were never really scary, just entertaining to me. First one was good of course, second one was probably my first experience with a movie that picks up immediately after the first so its like one giant movie. The third I never saw but supposedly just uses the name and has nothing to do with the series. The ones I actually liked the most were the fourth and fifth one because the psychiatrist played by Donald Pleasence is back and he kicks ass (he runs around chasing Micheal with a gun the whole time).

There was then I think maybe 5 more after that but the only ones I saw was the H20 which is like the anniversary sequel which starred Jamie Curtis (was okay). I then saw the remake of Halloween by Rob Zombie which sucked massive amounts of shit, the guy is a horror movie buff but can't make a good horror movie to save his life.

I'm sure he probably worships the Halloween movie but he completely shits all over it with his remake.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Our Host!