Real Steal

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.

Which movie do you like more?

Bloodsport
40%
rocky 4
40%
over the top (prosper)
20%

Total votes: 5

POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Real Steal

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

It's a movie starring Hugh Jackman in the future where people don't box, they have robots box for them. It's basically a boxing movie with robots and it's a fun movie.

The movie is story you have heard many times before with a guy down on his luck, a surprise son living with him, and then tournament competition type movies. The movie reminded me of bloodsport and over the top (but not that bad).

I don't really like any boxing/ fighting drama movies anymore since they are all the same and not as good as Rocky. Inserting robots makes it fresh and the fights pretty exciting, I haven't really wanted to get up and air box during a movie as much as I have in this one.

The ending two fights are pretty awesome and very well executed and I couldn't help smile watching it, probably worth the price of admission alone. It has all the elements you have seen before but they are all the stuff I enjoy so it was entertaining and I hope it does well.

This is pooper approved movie.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

sounds pretty horrible, but better check it if it gets your approval

have you started bocksing yet pooper?
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

It reminded me of Rock'em Sock'em Robots: The Movie. How correct was my assumption?
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Gimp Mask wrote:sounds pretty horrible, but better check it if it gets your approval

have you started bocksing yet pooper?
No I haven't, I don't know if I will do a martial arts anymore since I don't even know why I wanted to and I'm never in any situations where I would need to know the arts. I think I just wanted to do it to say that I know it and people would think I'm hard core.
It reminded me of Rock'em Sock'em Robots: The Movie. How correct was my assumption?
That is a pretty accurate assumption, especially if you were the type of kid who would scream "RIGHT UPPERCUT" when the robot just punches the same thing over and over.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

Cool, I saw Jackman in his interview on the Daily Show and they kind of piqued my interest, but if its Pooperscooper approved then I guess I'll go watch it sometime next week.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Random thoughts on the movie: For the longest time, I thought I was watching Gerard Butler and not Hugh Jackman. I'm not quite so sure what caused that, but it definitely happened.

I originally thought the movie was, in fact, based off of Rock Em Sock Em Robots. I swear the first one you see looks like the original toys, but I can't find anything to support that it's a licensed movie, so I guess it's just coincidence. Apparently it's based off of a 1950's short story or something by (Surprisingly) one of my favorite authors, Richard Matheson. Still, it's essentially Rock Em Sock Em Robots the movie. I eagerly await a Hungry Hungry Hippos movie.

Last - The movie isn't bad, but the ending is kinda weird. Not bizzaro weird, just a "Why did they go with that weird?" Spoilers as if anyone cares; basically they lose the last fight after knocking the champ down and he gets back up and it goes to the scorecards and it's not even close for the main characters. And that's pretty much it. It'd be like Rocky losing his title fight. The only negative thing to happen to the villains is they're booed just a little. So it's all this build up for little pay. But they're already making a sequel...and apparently have since April, so I guess they needed some foil for it as it's not like they can just stick Mr. T in it to make things super badass. Or can they?
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I want to watch this film because it souds like it might be just crazy enough to wor k
:chew:
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Wolfman Walt wrote:
Last - The movie isn't bad, but the ending is kinda weird. Not bizzaro weird, just a "Why did they go with that weird?" Spoilers as if anyone cares; basically they lose the last fight after knocking the champ down and he gets back up and it goes to the scorecards and it's not even close for the main characters. And that's pretty much it. It'd be like Rocky losing his title fight. The only negative thing to happen to the villains is they're booed just a little. So it's all this build up for little pay. But they're already making a sequel...and apparently have since April, so I guess they needed some foil for it as it's not like they can just stick Mr. T in it to make things super badass. Or can they?

In regards to the spoiler, there are a number of stories/movies where the underdog loses the fight but puts up enough of a fight that he becomes a star. Just off the top of my head Rocky 1 did that.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Huh. Touche. For whatever reason, I always thought Rocky WON the fight. I still think it's kinda odd for a writing decision, but I guess it has plenty of credence.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

He's right Rocky lost to Apollo in the first one (but I think they still went with the 'moral victory' for even being able to rise up that far.) People give Stallone shit, but he starred, wrote and directed in Rocky I and it won best picture, so humph. How Tango & Cash didn't get a nomination is beyond me.

Couldn't we just save our time and watch the Robot Pro-wrestling episode of Futurama.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Cimmerian Nights wrote:How Tango & Cash didn't get a nomination is beyond me.
Wasn't that the one where they took a 4x4 and smashed shit around in a quarry? That scene was dope.

Anyway, they lost out to Cohen and Tate.

But seriously, hollywood needs more detective duo movies. And no comedy crap either, unless it's opposite Nick Nolte. Man I miss it when they still made movies for adults.
Our Host!