Patch to Calm the Rage

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Patch to Calm the Rage

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

<strong>[ Game -> Update ]</strong>

<p>Blues News reports that a new patch has been released for Rage to calm the masses:</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><em><a href="http://store.steampowered.com/news/6464/">Steam News</a> has details on a new patch for <strong>RAGE</strong> that's now automatically available to update id Software's first -person shooter. The lengthy patch notes go into extreme detail on what the patch does, as it offers access to many graphics settings not present in the release version of the game. Here's the into which explains this: </em></p>
<blockquote style="padding-left: 30px;">
<p><span style="color: #000000;"><em><span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica; font-size: x-small;">RAGE defaults to lower video settings to allow the game to work on a wide variety of hardware and software configurations. Unfortunately, it is not possible to anticipate all possible graphics driver issues in combination with unique end user hardware and software configurations. For this reason RAGE does not automatically increase video/graphics settings as this could result in negative side effects on specific hardware and software configurations. The original release of RAGE does not expose many video/graphics options for people to tweak because some of these settings, although desirable from a quality perspective, simply will not work on specific configurations either due to hardware limitations and/or driver bugs. Due to popular demand for more video and graphics options, this patch updates the video settings menu and exposes several quality and performance settings. However, not everyone may be able to increase the settings due to hardware limitations and/or driver bugs.</span></em></span></p>
</blockquote>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><em> The <a href="http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/ ... ">Bethesda Blog</a> summarizes the patch notes: </em></p>
<ul style="padding-left: 30px;">
<li><em>Implemented workaround for AMD driver crash right after intro cinematic on Win 7 32-bit systems.</em></li>
<li><em>Disabled UBOs because they are causing animation issues with AMD drivers. Don&rsquo;t allow swap-tear to be enabled on AMD while the extension is not exposed because it may crash.</em></li>
<li><em>Support for new video settings: &ldquo;texture cache&rdquo;, &ldquo;vsync&rdquo;, and &rdquo;anisotropic filter&rdquo;</em></li>
<li><em>Automatically adjust vt_maxPPF based on the number of available cores.</em></li>
<li><em>Improved performance for SLI cards when GPU transcode is enabled.</em></li>
<li><em>Fix for GPU Transcoding option being disabled after exiting gameplay.</em></li>
<li><em>Added safe mode to restore video settings to default values.</em></li>
<li><em>Allow g_fov to be changed from the RAGE launch options in Steam.</em></li>
<li style="padding-left: 30px;"><em>Server now forwards text chat from clients to all other clients while in-game.</em></li>
</ul><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blues News</a></p>
Pizzahut Lover
Cakester Alt; I'm going places in life

Post by Pizzahut Lover »

what i hate about patches these days is how they don't patch things. its like adding more to the wad. more and more to the wad.

real patches patch the program, not add more. if you have a patch in the megabytes you been screwed. so unless there is a direct meaning to this explanation i demand and immediate recount.

it would also help if John would clarify why he isn't using a real dedicated patcher to begin with.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

The patch didn't add anything I hadn't already fixed. The only thing it did was lock most of the console command values making it impossible to tweak the game. Reverting back to the unpatched Rage.exe solved the problem, but for crying out loud. Seriously, id?

Rage is so much better with disabled health regen, tougher enemies, faster movement speed, toned down post processing effects, and none of the bullshit highlighting glowing pulsing objects you can pick up and interact with. That's for blind console players. I'm on a fucking PC.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Mad Max RW wrote:The patch didn't add anything I hadn't already fixed.
This is an improvement for Bethesda, no? Usually they just let the modders clean up the mess for everyone.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

It put the intro videos back in during the patch, which makes my game crash. I need to delete them again to see if the game (when its actually running) will get more than 5 FPS this time around.

I don't have much faith in it, and I don't think I've ever felt this much buyer's remorse. The only thing that I might have regretted buying more on an opening day was Hellgate London.

Yes, I actually bought that when it was first released quit laughing at me.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

So you've not actually managed to play it at all? And you meet reqs and all that jazz??
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

Oh yeah. Its just a broken piece of shit with regards to AMD products.
Our Host!