Drive

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Drive

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780504/

It just came out and I saw it. It's a story about a guy who is a stunt driver and who also does criminal driving jobs on the side but those are somewhat small part of the screen time. It's a pretty quirky movie that seems like it plays off a lot of older style films with a lot of quiet time and many long scenes that don't cut anything out, usually when I see that in recent movies its just them being stupid but it works in this one. I guess the biggest vibe I got from this movie was some type of 80's movie cause the title and intro credit was all bright cursive pink and it was playing like 80's music I think.

The beginning of the film was amazing, its Ryan Gosling telling the guys his rule for driving and then he meets them at the location. For like 5 to 10 minutes you see a really awesome get away that wasn't really tons of action just lots of stealth, no talking or anything. As a matter of fact I think Ryan Gosling didn't really talk a lot during the movie and was just a quite dude, something pretty rare in today's movies.

The movie had a good cast with many people you will recognize (Ron Perlman) and they all acted very well. Also the movie had incredible cinematography lots of great scenes with one towards the end where they are near a beach with a light tower flashing light all over.

Now I wouldn't call the movie an action film or anything but it had some decent fight, car chase, and kill scenes. Ryan Gosling basically stomps a guys head until it collapses and I heard a lot of people gasp when they saw that. There are other scenes of stabbings and shootings, etc.

Overall I think this was a good movie and I feel like any DACker who sees it will like it.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

So it's a remake of The Transporter.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Retlaw83 wrote:So it's a remake of The Transporter.
It's more of a remake of Bullitt than anything. Now where's Aonoran to call you a phillistine for mentioning Transporter as a point of comparison?

Anyways, the movie is good. It's definetly got a very late 70's early 80's sort of vibe and, probably the nicest thing that I'm suprised that pooper didn't mention - Everything feels very real. I don't think there was much CGI used, if any, which is definetly a nice turnaround.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Ya I guess I forgot to mention that, I didn't notice any CGI but like I said earlier their wasn't a ton of action scenes. Generally the louder the gun fire in a movie the less likely there will be CGI, that's what I usually observe. When a gun fired in the middle of the movie it was like thunder, very Micheal Mann.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

I might actually check this film out.
Cow Cud is a twin.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Wolfman Walt wrote:
Retlaw83 wrote:So it's a remake of The Transporter.
It's more of a remake of Bullitt than anything. Now where's Aonoran to call you a phillistine for mentioning Transporter as a point of comparison?
So long as it's not Popscythe storming out of his mom's basement to nerd rage about me comparing the two premises.
- the Vault Dweller
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Is Popscythe even still around? I haven't seen much of him lately. He's kinda gathering Cthulu status in my book.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Philistine.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Thanks, I needed that.
- the Vault Dweller
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

After thinking more about this movie and comparing it to recent releases, I recommend it even more.

I just saw Killer Elite with Jason Statman, Robert Deniro, and Clive Owen but it wasn't really enjoyable. My dad keeps saying movies have no character and I'm not sure I quite agree with him, I just know that the movie wasn't interesting. The fight scenes (there was only a few) was full of shaky camera, the car chase (only a few) was decent, the rest was full of espionage type of shit.

I've been thinking about what makes a movie good in my mind. In terms of action I like steady filming obviously but that doesn't automatically mean it will be a good scene. It really needs to make use of the environment, make actions seem meaningful (like I want to see all the scenes in the action I don't want it to be cut to the "good stuff"). When you compare recent action movies with older ones, the newer ones seem to have the main character running through guys at a fast pace etc.

Other than that I think in terms of story a good movie tends to flush the characters out more, each one have some back story. I think even though movies insert some back story for each character, they don't do enough or they have too many characters that it gets flooded by everyone.

It's hard to describe what makes a good movie, a lot of the new movies have similar stories to the old but they just suck for some reason.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I just saw it based on some strange recommendation that it was an action movie. I wasn't really in the mood to wait an hour for the first bitch slap to fly and I got fairly unhappy and impatient with it.

It's a movie I'd enjoy if I wasn't drinking and bored and cared about story and :art:
Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Subhuman »

It was marketed all wrong. There's barely any action, and when it does occur, it's stylized, brutally violent and rather un-Hollywood. The whole flick has a Euro vibe that clearly alienated the average American action movie fan. That said, I thought it tried a little too hard; at times I felt like the director was showing off to his film school colleagues (slo-mo, minimal dialogue, arty mise-en-scene) rather than focusing on telling a decent story. I wanted to love it, but it left me cold. Nice to look at, though, and a great soundtrack.
Our Host!