Working Pipboy 3000

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Working Pipboy 3000

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

<strong>[ Community -> Update ]</strong>

<p>Blues News is reporting a youtbue video about a guy who made a working Pipboy 3000, about 6 weeks ago bit it's new to me.</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><em>A <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tCEXEuICWs">YouTube video</a> from about six weeks ago shows off a prototype of a "working" Fallout-style PIP-Boy 3000. Some features aren't working, and you can't actually wear it on your wrist, but it's still pretty cool (thanks <a href="http://www.vg247.com/2011/09/03/fallout ... ">VG247</a>). This also lead to <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T4iCVPVO9U&NR=1">this older video</a> showing a wearable one, though this is an iPhone app, which obviously made things easier to work out.</em></p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"> </p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blues News</a></p>
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Post by Doc Hill »

Well, to be fair, as I understood it the original pipboy wasn't actually arm mounted either? Slap me with a dildo if I'm wrong tho.
Life is like cheap whiskey, it's mostly bad, and leaves a shitty taste in your mouth, but it's better then nothing.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

I always thought it was a hand held system judging from the menu it had, myself.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

It took me looking at that thing to realise how since Fo1 was released, technology's rendered the Pipboy fairly useless, if not for the automap and critter detector, both things you already have, just that no one's bothered to fit in a 3g phone.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I thought it was a handheld in the original too. The idea of a giant bracelet just seems stupid and almost consolish in idea.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

Yeah, it was essentially a pocket computer, though I always did picture it pinned to a belt.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Always thought of it as a table computer thing. The layout of the one in Tactics reinforced that idea.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
maddmaxx
SDF!
SDF!

Post by maddmaxx »

SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

Do it right with a CRT screen or don't do it at all, shortstop.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I think maddmaxx missed the point almost as badly as the movie <i>Pearl Harbor</i>.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Taco-Hero »

I think playing Fallout 3 on my wrist would be kind of cool. Just as long as I'm able to play other games. And came in 3D.
maddmaxx
SDF!
SDF!

Post by maddmaxx »

Retlaw83 wrote:I think maddmaxx missed the point almost as badly as the movie <i>Pearl Harbor</i>.
nope I know what a "working pipboy" is and these guys are getting closer each time. Parting out a Iphone would be one way to make one

The military already has many "pipboy" like devices and so does the adventure gadget market. Ski goggles with huds up that has angle, time, speed and mapping. They are going to make one for the motorcycle market too.

Wrist devices are still very handy compared to something you have to dig out of a pocket, even devices that can be dismounted from the wrist and can be placed on other items.

all fun toys become real some day

Now I need to get some gasssssolineeee
Our Host!