People Talk Too fast or I'm I Not Fast Enough?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

People Talk Too fast or I'm I Not Fast Enough?

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I'm making this thread because at work I'm always on the phone and people are always giving me phone numbers, fax numbers, email addresses and I have a really hard time keeping up with them when they say it. It feels like I'm playing catch up and then when I reach the middle I often start mixing up the numbers, I think it's because I've always was a bit slow processing sound maybe.

You guys have any tips to help my comprehend numbers and letter said fast in succession? Or should I just tell them to slow down or repeat it (often times when i repeat it, it might be wrong and i sound like a doofus.)
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

If at first you don't catch it just politely ask for them to repeat it slower for you and tell them that you're swamped with work. Its not difficult being honest.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Just say you're black and they'll slow down their speech for you. :)
St. Toxic

Re: People Talk Too fast or I'm I Not Fast Enough?

Post by St. Toxic »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:You guys have any tips to help my comprehend numbers and letter said fast in succession?
Only that you write the information down as you're getting it. I myself have a job where I'm constantly juggling numbers, names and the like and I find that it helps to write everything down while I'm listening. If you do get it wrong as you repeat it, I doubt it's through any fault of your own but rather that the person speaking has been less than clear. I wouldn't worry about it.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Obsolete technology to teh rescue?

POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I do write down the information but they are fast and/or I'm slow and I'm not able to even get it down on paper fast enough. I guess it's because I deal with people who are constantly giving phone numbers and shit all day and have that shit memorized so when they repeat it, it's at 1000 words per second.

When ever I spell or say numbers I always take into account of all of that so I say mine in parts (eg I will do area code, pause, first 3 digits, pause, 2 numbers, small pause, last 2 numbers), not that shit where they say it all in one string.

I absolutely hate it when they get an attitude when I ask for them to repeat like they feel like they are dealing with unprofessional or slow people. I remember at the retail store I worked at one chick was yelling at me the top of her lungs because i never heard like the first four numbers and kept asking what else and repeating the number, phone work is hard shit.

I had one chick give like a 10 digit number in like 3 seconds and I was like, are you fuckin kidding me?
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I work in a call center where we get people's names and phone numbers right off the bat, and have to enter them in the computer before we get their account number. People always rattle off the telephone number and their name, and go slow with the account, because the last isn't something they memorize.

I'm lucky in that getting the phone number right isn't really required, and I see their name inside the account once I access it. I'm also lucky that the call center isn't normal call center work and it's administrating people's stock accounts, so people are usually calling for normal business instead of coming in pissed.

If I need anything repeated, I just go, "Sorry, could you please repeat the number?" then thank them once they do it.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

maybe you could practise by listening to films and writing down what they say. you could use a frm of shthnd and maybe the number pad as well as the numbers are more classically together ^-^
:chew:
gobbleykins
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by gobbleykins »

Megatron wrote:frm of shthnd
from of shithound? I don't understand
niejadek5
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by niejadek5 »

Try marihuana - time will slow down.
jiujitsu
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jiujitsu »

Just tell them to say it again until you get it right. :drunk:
I am Megatron alt #7.

#fallout (irc.gamesurge.net)
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

This little invention below helped me a great deal:

When you learn how to use numpad properly, you can pretty much just push in the numbers as you hear them. You don't have to think about it either, it starts working almost like an instinct. I wouldn't have survived working in the bank without using it. :dance:
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Your a banker.

Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Don't be too impressed. He worked at a sperm bank.
- the Vault Dweller
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Retlaw83 wrote:Don't be too impressed. He worked at a sperm bank.
worked? what happened? did he... GET THE SACK? B)
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I got the sack daily when I worked at a sperm bank if you know what I mean.
- the Vault Dweller
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

If you actually worked at a sperm bank couldn't you just top off a cup and pay yourself for it? There's probably some stipulation against it, but if not that's free money right there.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Free drinks at the local sperm bank!
Cow Cud is a twin.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Kashluk wrote:This little invention below helped me a great deal:

10-key works wonders, my job entails carpal tunnel inducing quantities of it. That or figure something out. Try to catch the area code + first three [1 2 3 + 4 5 6, remember it as two sets of three numbers] and then ask for the last four as you are writing or typing the first six. Write it all down. If you can't write it down, repeat it endlessly, I'll repeat someones name in my head as I write down a number. Group and file, that's the best I can offer. Multitask, like I said. I always have a pen and paper handy as well as the ever present Notepad. I remember names by repeating them in my head if I cannot write them because I am writing a number and just revert to the standard "ma'am" or "sir" before asking what their name was as the call is winding down just to be polite. I remember numbers by grouping, I deal with phone numbers and fax numbers as well as three, five, eight, ten, and twelve digit product numbers [and the inevitable partial from those that cannot help themselves], I present the numbers to THEM in groups, the 3's and 5's as 3 + 2 or 2 + 3, the eights as a group of 3 + 3 + 2, the 10's as a 3 +2 pause 3 + 2, et cetera.

E-mail is ridiculous because people are ridiculous at making them. I, personally, will repeat the entire thing back, in NATO phonetic, until I have it right. Too many times with bad connections or people that slur letters together or talk quietly and too many mistaken e-mails have given me that. Every time. The whole thing back, if they're REALLY bad they get the long version ["G as in golf, O as in oscar, T as in tango, O as in oscar, H as in hotel, E as in echo, L as in lima, and L as in lima? at youdirtysonofabitch.com?"]

The mention of repeating it slower also works, but it can catch you flak depending on who you're talking to. Some people just don't give a fuck about anything but what they need.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Our Host!