Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

It's a prequel I guess to the Planet of the Apes movies which I haven't seen except for the remake with Mark Walhburg. It's a tale of a dude played by James Franco trying to find a cure for Alzheimer's Disease and he comes up with a medicine that helps the brain repair itself and also makes them smarter as a side effect. They test it on apes and it shows a lot of success and Franco takes a one of the apes after a mishap and the ape lives with them. John Lithgow is also in the movie most likely because they remembered him being in that movie about bigfoot ( Harry and the Hendersons).

Basically the apes get smart and start to revolt, but that is more towards the end. Majority of the movie is about Ceasar the ape growing up and going through stuff, I found it interesting but I imagine a lot of people might be turned off watching an ape so much.

I liked the movie and it didn't really feel like a prequel movie just a movie about a smart ape. There was a few times that I cried on the inside, they really made the ape have human emotions and shit with his face.

They were handing out surveys after the movie but I was all like "No, if you want to hear my opinion you best visit DACK" but I never said it. Also I saw a guy go into a 3d movie and refuse to take 3d glasses because he said he "was good". I want know more about him.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

My knowledge of the movie doesn't go any deeper than seeing a TV commercial a couple of times... but the whole setup seems kind of shitty. You know, the whole big twist in the end of Planet of the Apes ( SPOILER ALERT, lol D; ) seems to be the whole point of the movie? I just don't get it. Is it supposed to be some PETA propaganda about how monkeys have feelings too, don't eat their brains mmkay, it hurts and feels emotionally depressing and shit.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

I guess the apes and monkey's got all upset about humans clear cutting their forest so they went on the offensive and attacked San Francisco.

Seems logical enough.

Poops what was the survey about?
Cow Cud is a twin.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Did the apes win? I mean, the way they painted the fighting in the commercials it looked like it would've been impossible to overthrow human society.

In the lore wasn't a nuclear war the cause of the downfall of humanity and the apes just kind of took up the reigns?
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Computerized super-apes. Fast, strong, destructive and overwhelming. Complete with slick one-liners from the human cast.

A must see.o(r notlol)
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Ape version of David Caruso spouting out one-liners in CSI: Indonesia.

Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I meant to go and see Rise of the Planet of the Apes, but accidentally saw the movie Rise of the Planet of the Rapes.

I don't want to talk about it.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

rad resistance wrote:I guess the apes and monkey's got all upset about humans clear cutting their forest so they went on the offensive and attacked San Francisco.

Seems logical enough.

Poops what was the survey about?
Survey was about how I learned about the movie and if seeing experiments of apes on the internet encouraged me to see the movie. Also I thin it asked what I thought about it.
SenisterDenister wrote:Did the apes win? I mean, the way they painted the fighting in the commercials it looked like it would've been impossible to overthrow human society.

In the lore wasn't a nuclear war the cause of the downfall of humanity and the apes just kind of took up the reigns?
The apes totally kicked the humans asses because of their monkey abilities. They don't conquer anything but they tear shit up and then go off into the woods. They basically only messed up San Fransisco and then left into a nearby forest and they didn't show how they conquered the earth because the main ape was like "no, we good" to James Franco. Although they don't show how the apes rule the world they hinted at it with a space shuttle launch or something happening in the next few days which will probably have some ape planting some virus and then destroying it.[/quote]
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
SenisterDenister

Okay then, I may actually go see this movie then.

Truth be told I am a fan of James Franco.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

U wat?

You "oh shit i hear the ice cream van or som'tin !!!111oneetcetera"
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Taco-Hero »

I think in the original movies, from what I remember, is that the ape scientists from the first movie somehow go back in time and then the military tries to kill them out of fear that they will help the apes rise but then one of them has a child who turns out to be Caesar. Or I could be wrong and Abraham Lincoln was actually a chimpanzee.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

SenisterDenister wrote:Truth be told I am a fan of James Franco.
Yeah I'd stick it up his ass, too.
SenisterDenister

The original films past the second one are all pretty dumb. The series was further exacerbated by Tim Burton trying to use Markie Mark to reboot the franchise.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Stalagmite wrote:
You properly could because he's a raging flamer.
Cow Cud is a twin.
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Psychoul »

SenisterDenister wrote:The original films past the second one are all pretty dumb. The series was further exacerbated by Tim Burton trying to use Markie Mark to reboot the franchise.
:( i quite liked the originals.

From the wiki of this new planet of the apes, i can conclude it could fit in the timeline where Taylor and his crew from the original movie leave Earth and come back. During that time, the apes experiment could have taken place and humanity would be later wiped out by the Virus, leaving only a race of apes.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

It would be hilarious if the main news channels started covering the Tottenham/etc. riots and there were a large number of advertising spots bought up by the promoters of Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

SenisterDenister wrote:In the lore wasn't a nuclear war the cause of the downfall of humanity and the apes just kind of took up the reigns?
God help my soul - but for like a month, when I was 14, TNT was showing a Planet of the Apes marathon and I had nothing better to do with my life since I lived in Death Valley (or there abouts) . Did you know there were MULTIPLE old school Planet of the Ape movies? Wanna know why you never heard of them? Cause they were garbage. This is a remake of said garbage...so I guess we're getting a remake prequel to a remake? Whateves.

In the original (Which was actually like the 4th movie or something), there was some disease or some shit that wiped out all house pets. So naturally humans kept monkeys as pets. Because Chimps are completely harmless and have never ripped off anyone's face. Anyways, Caesar is actually the son of two of the chimps from the original movies after they escaped the nuclear destruction of earth you mentioned in the future monkey universe and traveled into a time warp (along with Dr. Milo) to 1970's America. Anyways, shit happens and Caesar becomes disgruntled and teaches apes how to rebel and shit and eventually club some mayor to death. So yea. Nuclear explosion is actually a BETTER explanation instead of this convoluted shit which relies on some sort of bizzaro time paradox.
SenisterDenister

Yeah, that's why I said the movies past the second were dumb. I've had the misfortune of watching some, myself.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Wolfman Walt wrote:Did you know there were MULTIPLE old school Planet of the Ape movies? Wanna know why you never heard of them? Cause they were garbage.
I have vague memories of Ricardo Montalban, a traveling circus, and the ubiquitous Cornelius. I thought Caeser was born to him and his wife...whatever.

Seems to me like in typical Hollywood remake fashion, they strip the depth out and replace it with OMFG flying CGI gorillaz gunna fuck your shit up, they flippin' cars and shit yo!

Besides, I'm not watching shit if Dr. Zaius isn't in it.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

rad resistance wrote:
Stalagmite wrote:
You properly could because he's a raging flamer.
I prefer 'improperly' but whatevs.
Our Host!