aDosbox and Fallout

If you can't get the Fallout games to run the way you want, or are having trouble with bugs, here's the place to ask for help.
Chaos
Respected
Respected
Location: Somewhere, don't really know I got lost on the way to Vault 13.

aDosbox and Fallout

Post by Chaos »

Hi everyone, it has been a really long time since I have been here in the DAC forums. I have recently gotten aDosbox on my HTC EVO Shift and I am trying to get Fallout to run. I have managed to get it installed and after a bunch of tinkering I was able to get it to boot past the "Please Stand By" Screen. However, I can't seem to figure out the settings needed in the adosbox.conf to get it to actually run smoothly. I set it to a fixed Cycle speed of 17500 and that seems to get it to boot past the stand by screen, but after that it is extremely slow. I have tried using the dynamic cycle change from within aDosbox by pressing the menu button, and I have set the value nearly up to 400k and nothing seems to get better. Does anyone know if there is a good value to set the cycles to in order to run the game smoothly? And for any of you that might be very tech savvy, what is the max cycles that you can set for an HTC EVO Shift? I hope someone can help me out here. Fallout on my phone would be extremely :censored: epic!
Soldier of the wastes. :gun:
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Re: aDosbox and Fallout

Post by Tofu Man »

Chaos wrote:Fallout on my phone would be extremely FUCKING epic!
There you go. This is DaC, remember? Leave your manners at the door.

Fallout on a phone eh? Let me guess, 9 Iron as a controller???
Anyways, you get this working, post some screenies for we'all. Shit sounds wicked.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

dosbox emulation requires a lot of processing power, and as fallout is a relatively new game i don't think a mobile phone would be able to handle it, i think even most modern computers wouldn't run it smoothly
Chaos
Respected
Respected

Post by Chaos »

Gimp Mask wrote:dosbox emulation requires a lot of processing power, and as fallout is a relatively new game i don't think a mobile phone would be able to handle it, i think even most modern computers wouldn't run it smoothly
Just to clarify...I am talking about the first Fallout which is not very new at all. So I'm not sure if you were thinking I meant Fallout 3 or New Vegas.

I have thought of an idea of setting it up on my computer and putting cycles=max. Then from there I'm not sure if this is possible, but I would look and see what the value for cycles is from within dosbox while Fallout is running and then transferring that value to my phone. I'm guessing that the most that would happen if my phone doesn't support the value dosbox will just crash.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

i think you should look a little into what dosbox is and what it does. dosbox fallout on your phone is not going to work okay
fallout system requirements:
DOS
Pentium 90 MHz, 32 MB RAM, 2x CD-ROM, SVGA, SoundBlaster-compatible sound card.
Chaos
Respected
Respected

Post by Chaos »

Gimp Mask wrote:i think you should look a little into what dosbox is and what it does. dosbox fallout on your phone is not going to work okay
fallout system requirements:
DOS
Pentium 90 MHz, 32 MB RAM, 2x CD-ROM, SVGA, SoundBlaster-compatible sound card.
I understand the PC requirements, however that doesn't apply to my phone since my phone isn't a PC. So they are useless. Sound works fine, and it boots and I have gotten it somewhat playable by fooling with settings a bit. I know what dosbox is and what it does seeing as though I am using it, went through the instalation process, I had to mount my sdcard using the freesize command since the fallout installation was only recognizing 286MB of freespace even though I had at least 1Gb. I am just trying to see if anyone has any input on what settings I should use. I play Super Nintendo and Playstation on my phone with no issues. I understand you can't really directly compare, but that should be good for something..

PS: my phone has an 800MHz CPU and 512Mb RAM so it honestly should work fine, I really thinks it's dependant on making sure the dosbox.conf file has all the proper settings contained in it. So let's hope this can move in a good direction and if it does I will gladly share everything I did to get it to run smoothly.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

alright then, best of luck and hope you get it to work.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Gimp, he is too much of a noob to listen to us.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Chaos
Respected
Respected

Post by Chaos »

Sorry Pooperscooper, people that use the noob stuff are normally just trying to make up for their actual lack of knowledge or skills, or they just have this complex in which they think they are better than someone when in realit they started the same way as whoever they are putting down. So don't worry about offending me or anything because your comment isn't any worse than a pebble being in my shoe. Anyways, I have gotten the game to work and be playable, the only issues are load times. I am not sure what could be done to make the load sessions run faster. I have set the cycles to a fixed rate of 20000 which is definitely high but it runs everything great on the phone. Windows 3.1 is running very well which is awesome for a lot of the older games. If I or anyone else finds something that will change the load session slowness I will make sure to post and hope that someone else will to the same.

P.S. Pooper, just because I don't have 4000 posts does't mean I'm a "noob" maybe I have better things to do with my time than sit in forums at all times. So I'm sorry you didnt have anything usefull to say, maybe thats how you got so many posts.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

How do you actually control the game on such a small screen?
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Chaos
Respected
Respected

Post by Chaos »

Retlaw83 wrote:How do you actually control the game on such a small screen?
The cursor moves with your finger or you can set a virtual joystick to move the cursor. And the gamescreen is quite clear, so it's not too bad at all.
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

I got it to work some time ago, but my phone is too shitty to run it effectively (roughly 0.1FPS).
does this work
Chaos
Respected
Respected

Post by Chaos »

So ended up scrapping the idea on the original phone I started with (the 800mHz processor couldn't handle it in any real playable form due to the load times.) However I did get it running on an HTC EVO alright. And even now I just got the LG Optimus G which runs it the best, (I'm sure quadcore functionality definitely helps) load times were ok with the EVO, and actually much better on the Optimus. I also switched to a different DosBox for Android which showed some slight speed improvement. DosBox Turbo is what I use now. And I even have a quick Fallout only config file for quick entry to the game.

Here is what seems to work best, if anyone finds it to work better with any type of tweaks let me know.

[dosbox]
memsize=32
machine=svga_s3

[render]
frameskip=2

[cpu]
core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=max

[gus]
gus=false

[sblaster]
sbtype=sb2
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=fast
oplrate=22050

[mixer]
blocksize=1024
prebuffer=15
rate=22050

[midi]
mpu401=none
mididevice=none
midiconfig=

[speaker]
pcspeaker=false
pcrate=8000
tandy=off
disney=false

[bios]
joysticktype=2axis

[autoexec]
mount c: /sdcard/dosbox -freesize 9999
c:
cd intrplay/fallout
fallout

Hope this helps others that may want to try this.
barraz
SDF!
SDF!

Post by barraz »

I know I'm late to the party, but I felt this was worth the bump. Chaos, I have spent the last several days trying to configure fallout to run smoothly on my iPad 2 (iOS 4.3 something), and having to endure playing at terribly slow speeds. With your code, I got the game running more smoothly in dosbox than fallout 3 does on my ps3. So yeah, I can confirm that fallout can run on an iPad using dosbox , as well as the fact that the above code makes the game run silky smooth. Thank you so much, Chaos; your code absolutely made my week.
Our Host!