So I was wrong about Duke Nukem Forever

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

So I was wrong about Duke Nukem Forever

Post by Stalagmite »

The demo was terrible.

-Awful graphics by todays standards (maybe a piss poor PS3 port who knows)
-Two weapon system
-Aiming is bad
-Vehicles that are useless additions
-One liners worse then ever

Now come on DaC laugh it up or try to say it's actually awesome, for I thought it was terrible.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I was telling people it would be terrible far before release. The snippits of dialog seemed like they were trying too hard, the on-screen action was too scripted, and the hype was over the top. With how long it's been in development and how often it's been rebuilt or changed hands, there is no way this was going to be a good product.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Gecko
Respected
Respected

Post by Gecko »

No wonder why 3drealms never wanted to release it. It's shit in every way and not just the graphics. It's simply terrible. The interactivity parts were fun... for about 20 seconds though and i liked the one liners but that's all. My only hope is in Serious Sam 3 now.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

Retlaw83 wrote:I was telling people it would be terrible far before release. The snippits of dialog seemed like they were trying too hard, the on-screen action was too scripted, and the hype was over the top. With how long it's been in development and how often it's been rebuilt or changed hands, there is no way this was going to be a good product.
The original:
* The snippits of dialog seemed like they were trying too hard
* the on-screen action was too scripted

AND THIS IS WHY WE LIKED IT.

Fuck graphics and fuck hype. I'll reserve my hatred until I get my hands on it. I should have access to a demo around here somewhere.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Retlaw83 wrote: The snippits of dialog seemed like they were trying too hard
It's worse in the game. I killed a something and he said "Quit bleeding, pussy". I was like "ummm someone seriously IS trying too hard".
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

so basically it;s just Duke Nukem 3D with ni cer graphics lol
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Yonmanc wrote:so basically it;s just Duke Nukem 3D with ni cer graphics lol
No, in 1996, Duke Nukem 3D had great graphics. In 2011, Duke Nukem Forever has terrible graphics.
You could hold 10 different weapons and collect medpacks in Duke3D and there were no lame vehicle additions. It's like a terrible hybrid of Halo meets Duke crushed to shit.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

That's the game Freespace is based off of? Man, I spent so much time playing Freespace 2.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

wait, someone expected something not shitty from DN4ever?
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Cimmerian Nights wrote:wait, someone expected something not shitty from DN4ever?
Trust me it's even shittier than shitty.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Lara Croft needs much bigger boobs.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:Lara Croft needs much bigger boobs.
Nah, Nukem just needs smaller hands.
Cimmerian Nights wrote:wait, someone expected something not shitty from DN4ever?
This. Although one could hope for the "it's so bad, it's good" type affair. Then again even that may be wishful thinking.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Well the gampeplay vids looked great beforehand until I actually played it. Even the bitches in the game were ugly but that's not why I was hyped for this shit it just seemed amazing but another example of hype being blatant lying these days.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Tofu Man wrote:This. Although one could hope for the "it's so bad, it's good" type affair.
I don't think that ever really worked for computer games
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Tofu Man wrote:
POOPERSCOOPER wrote:Lara Croft needs much bigger boobs.
Nah, Nukem just needs smaller hands.
CARNIES!
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Stalagmite wrote:Well the gampeplay vids looked great beforehand until I actually played it. Even the bitches in the game were ugly but that's not why I was hyped for this shit it just seemed amazing but another example of hype being blatant lying these days.

You're crushing my dreams here and busting my balls.

I knew the dialouge would be scripted and somewhat fake, I even warned about that in my thread. But that's how Duke has always been to a degree.

The graphics in the trailer were good enough, even great at some points. You telling me its all much worse? I was going to buy a new comp just to play this game.

Why are the vehicles useless? I mean how can a vehicle ever be useless. It drives faster than you walk, its fun and it gives you some extra armor.

Whatsup man, elaborate on this please.

edit: Holy fuck. I mean IREALLYDONTPLAYGAMES4GRAPHICS but google results are scarry: http://www.google.com/search?hl=sv&clie ... 1&aql=&oq=

doing some research.
Many people seem to have some bugs with the graphics due to outdated drivers. IMO the graphics look good enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY0-6IE21ZM

The dialouge seems good. The 2 weapon system i dont mind.

I call you on your bluff or failed taste and raise you with 12...12 FUCKING YEARS OF DEVELOPMENT!

PURE SERIOUS SAM ACTION.

Thank god they kept the oldschool arcade feel and didn't go fucking CoD Modern Warfare all over like other games are trying to do.

edit: actually seems they did in one part...Like most modern games the healths don't seem to be percentage points you heal with healthboxes but somehow automatically fill up as you kick ass. FUCK. Fuck off CoD FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FOR RUINING GAMING FOR EVER.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

did you cancel your preorder rdronugy?

they should have made a halloween harry game :)

:chew:
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

After further consideration I don't care about anything except the regen system and its enough to make me ignore the game (in a store that is ;) ). Seen a video now of a guy repeatedly getting shot (white on RED!) without dying. The bar fills up faster than a crackheads pipe in heaven and it just takes the challenge out of the game.

I like challenge that's why I don't mind a 2 weapon system but that's one of the few points I agree on with Stalagmite when it comes to criticism of the game in general.

Aiming from all the vids seems fine. TURN OFF THE AIMING HELP in the options if you haven't :p
Additionally various game have hidden mouse improvement/movement functions without you ever knowing about them. I believe its default on any windows installation. Experiment with the options actually publicly open to you on Duke Nukem to find the blend that fits you.

Just sent an email to their business department proposing a purchase of their game if they fix the health regen :lalala:
Our Host!