Honest Hearts Review

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Honest Hearts Review

Post by Doc Hill »

<strong>[ Game -> Review ]</strong>

<p>So it's that time again, another rambling review of the latest in New Vegas Dlc. There will be spoilers here, so if you give a fig, stop reading. Honest Hearts is another dlc set outside the Mojave Wasteland proper, taking the player to Zion National Park. Enlisted by a caravan because they need a gunhand and a pipboy isn't a bad thing to have when blazing a trail. Happily you aren't stripped of you gear this time out, although you are only allowed 75 to 100 pounds of gear, depending on stats. This is an acceptable compromise from the former trend of robbing us of all our hard collected gear. And it leaves plenty of room in your inventory for new goodies.</p>
<p>Once in Zion, suprise, THINGS GO WRONG, and the caravan dies. You're befriended by a wierd and slightly annoying tribal and are taken to meet Joshua Graham, the Burned Man. I will give credit here, they built up Joshua very well and I actually looked forward to meeting him, ultimately, he couldn't be anything but a letdown after the buildup though. Swathed in bandages and a swat vest, he is less overwhelming then his legend would paint. What follows the meeting is exploration and war with tribals, in a quest to leave Zion. You only get two morally similar choices, however there is a third choice, I just blew away evereyone and was able to leave Zion in 10 minutes,so if you just want the new toys in Zion, you can make a REALLY quick trip of it.</p>
<p>And the new toys are nice this time, a .45 pistol and submachine gun, both packing a really nice punch, they just feel good to use, and come with their own mods.A war club, the first upgradeable melee weapon I've seen, and a return, in spirit, of the deathclaw gauntlet. Uniques include a snub nosed .45, a stun gun, a named yoa gui gauntlet,and special powerfist, and one truly hellish service rifle. Also included is a factionless, desert camo, Ranger armor. It's nice to see this finally provided since it was the trademark look of the game and they made it annoying to get and wear. In a touch that is either cheap or a nice nod to fans, upon completeing the quest, there is a chest with all the unique armors worn by characters in Zion. Including Joshua Grahams getup, sans bandages.</p>
<p>The writing for this one is decent, althought I feel Dead Money had better story, and the in dlc companions are DEFINATELY weaker this time out. However with a more wide open experience, I'm willing to forgive this. Ultimately, the fact that this is DIFFERENT from the previous DLC gives me hope that they will continue to use the DLC to add unique experiences to New Vegas.</p>
<p>The dlc of course raises the level cap by 5, and add perks, this time out it also adds crafting recipes though. Allowing you to mix alcahol, refill sodas, reinforce leather and metal armors, and refill energy ammo from fusion batteries. This was a really nice choice and I'm glad they finally put some more meat on the bones of the crafting.</p>
<p>Ultimately, while it has a weaker story and writing, Honest Hearts just brings more raw content to the table. New weapons and armors, new perks, and a plethora of new crafting recipes, this is definately better. Unfortunately, it still feels like it falls short of the ten dollar asking price. It's not any longer then Dead Money, and it just feels unsatisfying to complete. It's not bad by any stretch, but if you don't already own it, I'd wait until it inevitably goes on sale.</p>
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I felt, while the story wasn't as focused as Dead Money's, it was more human and there wasn't as much illogic or what-the-fuck moments as in Dead Money. I thought the writing for the characters was excellent.

If you took the third option and murdered everyone to escape, how are you qualified to comment on the writing or story?
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Unlike Dead Money.....this actually sounds like it's a lot of fun. I'm taking it that it's worth the money?
Gecko
Respected
Respected

Post by Gecko »

Seriously, a DLC about tribals and there is no arroyo music? wtf?
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Post by Doc Hill »

I murdered everyone the FIRST time, I then played through the two TRUE paths to completing the dlc. Played that way it takes about 2 hours if you know everything, about 4-5 the first time. The writing is of course a subjective subject, I found the two companion npcs rather annoying and Joshua Graham to be a bit underwhelming. This is simply a subjective review on the dlc.

If it sounds appealing to you, the I would assume it would be worth the money. I myself feel it would be better at a seven or five dollar pricepoint instead of ten.
Life is like cheap whiskey, it's mostly bad, and leaves a shitty taste in your mouth, but it's better then nothing.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Wolfman Walt wrote:I'm taking it that it's worth the money?
Definitely. Best way to describe it is if Fallout and Tears of the Sun had a baby and they raised it amongst native Americans.

The treatment of religion in it is also very practical; if one of the Mormons gets preachy you can agree, be diplomatic about it or simply inform them that you're full of shit.
- the Vault Dweller
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Maybe I'm growing old and sentimental, but if you piece together the whole story of the Survivalist (aka the Man in the Cave) it kind of hits you where you live.
- the Vault Dweller
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

I plan to buy these when they're all out in a pack and then just start a new game.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Same.

Thanks for the review Doc. Good stuff.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Post by Doc Hill »

I feel I should add my favorite part of fallout has always been digging into an alternate history, and sifting through the detrius of a era left only in fragments. So I probably got alot less enjoyment from this dlc, then some others would the next one however, Old World Blues, is shaping up to be my dream dlc, clawing through a pre war research base..
Life is like cheap whiskey, it's mostly bad, and leaves a shitty taste in your mouth, but it's better then nothing.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

I'm just waiting till autumn.
Cow Cud is a twin.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

:monocle:

Post by Blargh »

what a shame that all the genuinely interesting things occur before the player arrives

:drunk:
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

true that.
Cow Cud is a twin.
Our Host!