Four Years

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Four Years

Post by SenisterDenister »

Four years ago after about six months of lurking I finally made an account. I've yet to fully regret it. Here's to my fourth anniversary of being a DACKer.

:salute: :drunk:
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

four more years, four more years! :neverforget: :punchballs:
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I just bought my first smartphone. It's doing so much that it's making me feel dumb.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
SenisterDenister

They don't call them smart for nothing.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I'm feeling less dumb now but this thing is still pretty fucking smart.
- the Vault Dweller
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Re: Four Years

Post by Tofu Man »

Eternal Optimist wrote:I've yet to fully regret it.
DaC in a nutshell? :duckie:
Gunman
s3x g0d
s3x g0d

Post by Gunman »

Your fears.
SenisterDenister

Re: Four Years

Tofu Man wrote:
Eternal Optimist wrote:I've yet to fully regret it.
DaC in a nutshell? :duckie:
:wheelie:
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Switched from iPhone to Blackberry, which is coming on Tuesday. Better be good.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I got a Samsung Fascinate because the highly competent sales girl told me they never had one returned over the Christmas shopping season and her boyfriend swears by his. So far android seems like a pretty cool guy that doesn't afraid of anything.
- the Vault Dweller
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Android is apparently the best OS out there at the moment for smart phones.
I would have got a HTC, apparently it offers amazing functionality but all the new ones that I looked at were touchscreen based - I hate that. Thus, got a BB.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Here's my question to all y'all. What do you need smartphones for? Are you like businessmen or something? The way I see it, and I could be wrong but in most cases folks with smartphones are just throwing their money away (and also being tracked by Apple apparently). Like its an extra thirty bucks a month for a data plan and what are you doing with it? Making moves on the stock exchange? Setting up business deals? Transferring money to your bank in Zurich?

Or are you just surfing facebook when you're bored? Like I would be down for a smartphone if it wasn't sucking cash from me on a monthly basis. Like I'm a semi-busy guy and my old ass cell phone gets everything done.

I see smart phones as just another thing The Man convinces us we need so he can milk us of our measly paychecks. I mean and then people pay for fucking apps. I mean I know people who work at the mall as salespeople and they walk around like a fucking fast paced monkeysuit man with their smartphone. WTF. Rant over.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

A number of factors actually:
1) Google maps - London is a huge city and you often end up going someplace where you haven't been before. Google maps is a lifesaver, and actually the main reason for why I got a smartphone.

2) E-mail - checking e-mail on the go. Often I do have urgent / important e-mails to take care of. In fact, I prefer not to have my browser open at home and instead check e-mails on my phone. Also, even if you're at home, it is occasionally far easier check your mail on your phone rather than having to get on your computer.

3) Music - your smart phone also doubles as a portable whateverplayer. Always take my headphones with me if I expect to have to commute a lot or something.

4) Apps - games etc are great when you're on the bus or something, kills the boredom.

These are my key reasons for having a smartphone. I was actually quite reluctant to change to a smartphone and like I said, Google maps was the decisive factor, but now after having used one for almost 2 years, I find it quite difficult to get by with my old backup phone (my BB hasn't arrived yet and I gave my iPhone away).

I don't actually spend a lot of time on my phone, I think I only ever bought one app on the iPhone and that's because my girlfriend wanted it. I just use my smartphone to do things that I would do anyway, as well as for the aforementioned points.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

DML, Frater beat me to it but replace London with Pittsburgh and you have my opinion, minus the email bit. Smartphones do everything devices you would carry with you could do. I'm actually writing this at my grandparents house on my phone - something I couldn't do on my laptop, considering it's a wifi deadzone out here.

The extra $30 isn't a drawback in my situation considering I shaved $20 off my bill by getting fewer minutes because I didn't need them.

It's not something you need, but neither is cable or HDTV.
- the Vault Dweller
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

Dogmeatlives wrote:stuff
24/7 access to wikipedia, doggy
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

I'm a bit with Dogmeat on this one. It's not a matter of budget (well it is, only not the main reason; that said, a smartphone wouldn't be anywhere near the top of things to get on an increased budget), but rather a matter of comfort.

Mobile phones and laptops (and I own both) already had the downside of bringing the boss man (not THE man, the one paying your salary) closer to home, when I really don't want him there or anywhere near it. Smartphones seem to bridge the gap such that it's bad enough that you're now expected to return work related e-mails when you're at home (not to mentioning people calling you there) and in the future you'll be pressed to do it while on commute. Its widespread reception means more work hours on the long run, whether or not the inception is made through the always reliable excuse of entertainment.

It used to be "I don't need internet outside" now it's ever more "I don't WANT internet outside".

Fuck, I'm outside. I already have a damn mobile if there's an emergency, besides that, what I do is my own accord. If I wanted something off of the internet then I coulda got it before I left or get it when I get to wherever it is I'm going but I'll be damned if I'll be there every time the internet wants something from me. Fuck you, work. /rant
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

If you get a work related communication outside of work, unless you're a doctor or fireman or CEO or something, they can't hold it against you if you don't take care of that communication until working hours.
- the Vault Dweller
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Angry Birds?

Angry Birds.
Gunman
s3x g0d
s3x g0d

Post by Gunman »

When people use touchscreen phones it looks like their rubbing a booger into their palm.
Smartphones ruined the internet.
Will there be a DAC iphone app so we can read Walter's posts while on the train, the bus or a boat?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

iPhones are for assholes.
- the Vault Dweller
Our Host!