Susan's REVIEWS : Divinity 2 : Dragon Knight Saga

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Susan's REVIEWS : Divinity 2 : Dragon Knight Saga

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Been playing Divinity 2, which is highly enjoyable until you've explored the Orobas fjord area. The setting is pure fantasy, and the graphics are really colorful and it makes for a somewhat light atmosphere, but the themes that are present in the game scenario and dialogues are more mature. Nobody is totally good, every player in the story has an evil side.
For example, there's a necromancer(who btw are a common thing in the setting, they're not automatically evil) who needed the blood of a loved one for an experiment. He killed his bitch, used her blood, and then made a zombie version of her for his sexual fantasies.

The world is really huge and travelling in it really feels like travelling(despite the presence of some teleporters), unlike most modern RPGs in which you can quick travel to everywhere easily and instantly.

But after some time, when you've explored the whole world, you quickly get bored by the locations because they lack a decent number of NPCs with interestant things to say. And when they've said what they had to say, they're pretty much unimportant in the rest of the game.

But there are some really cool parts. Like when you first get the power to turn into a dragon(by the way, don't rush the part before getting the dragon morph power, because a good chunk of the game is before), you have to fly your way to some new towns which are hidden all over the fjords, not knowing if they will be hostile or not.

Another good thing is the mindread ability, during dialogues, which offers varied way to solve quests, or even add quests.

The game is also pretty difficult. There is no level scaling and save often because you will die a lot. I like how the game doesn't take you by the hand. For example, when you're searching for a secret passage or something, you can not do like in Dragon Age and press tab, highlighting every usable object in the screen. The stone you have to press has a texture a little bit different from the others, and you have to find it, sometimes not even knowing there is a secret stone.

Anyway, I recommend, but it's definetely not for everyone.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

But there are some really cool parts. Like when you first get the power to turn into a dragon
ehue
Turning into a dragon is gay.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Wow he returns and dac sudenly no longer counts as a dead forum. :drunk:
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Seems good enough, time to see if your taste in games rivals your taste in music.

Besides, I'm raring to play something (ANYTHING!) on the gamebryo engine that isn't complete arse. :D
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Susan, have you tried Two Worlds II ? If yes, then how would you compare these two?
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Kashluk wrote:Susan, have you tried Two Worlds II ? If yes, then how would you compare these two?
I fired it up and played for about an hour or so.
I'm not going to lie, it looks and feels like a decent game (leaving aside the horrendous consoley inventory system) but it just didn't captivate me. Don't let that alone put you off though because I've felt like that about almost every game that I've played in the past couple of years.

Going to reinstall System Shock 2 methinks.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Did you all play the first one? I bought the first one but never played it, I hear it's like a Diablo clone but with more RPG?
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Crap. Can't run it. I mean it does run, only not fast enough to be barely playable, even. Time to put the single core and the 6600GT in the bin, methinks.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I haven't tried the first one, but I heard good things about it. And the story is probably better in the first one, too, because there were no 3D and particle effects in those days.

As for Two Worlds II, nope, haven't tried it, but I might.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Divinity II? More like Shitty Poo.
Play LOTR online. Just do it, it's free. Don't be shy now. That's it.
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Post by Alister McFap II Esq. »

Stalagmite wrote:free.
Free things are usually so bad that they're not worth trying.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Your mum alone disproved that theory. :flamed:
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Post by Alister McFap II Esq. »

Stalagmite wrote:Your mum alone disproved that theory. :flamed:
Yours doesn't. :\
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Cheers.
Seriously it's worth downloading and trying out and you can always toss the fucker if you don't like it, if you think it's fucking awesome like I do it's worth all the extra content you can buy. Easily the best MMO inmho, even if I wasn't always privy to good ol' J.R.R. Middle Earth, which I am. (Elvish Faggotry notwithstanding).

So if you're desperate to try something good go for it! Even if your mum's a stinking whore who produced you from a syphilis scab.

EDIT: To avoid sounding a complete attempting hijacker:

I found Divinity 2 top be too much of a hassel and it lacked what I require for a single player experience: An atmosphere that sucks you right in. All they did was add a bunch of fantasy elements and drop you right off. Running around like a cunt trying to figure out where to go for the next quest then getting accosted by many other cunts out in the open giving you quests that are impossible to accomplish at your current level or state of your progress, therefore distracting your attention and clogging up your quest log with uninteresting but nevertheless "important" shit just seemed so exhausting.

The transformation into a dragon was what really killed it. When you're a badass dragon going around easily incinerating everything in your path, transforming back into human form just feels like you're doing it because you have to, running even more stupid errands only this time even more apathetically because you know that you could just up and fly around and burn those pitiful people at whim (though the game wont let you).

Although the first two Gothic games contained a lot of what I mentioned as flaws above (especially NOTR) at least they got the atmosphere right and therefore I happily finished both of them, eagerness to progress in something engaging can mean the difference.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

That hits hard. Anyhow, I got bored after a while. I thought the game was fun until you reached the limits of exploration.

Then you realize the story is totally uninteresting.

And I don't know what to play, any suggestions?

Why is LotR Online good?
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

It isn't. It's shit.

I've been all over the Brytenwalda mod for M&B: Warband myself. It's very nice.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

what ever happened to that Apoc RTS game?
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

S4ur0n27 wrote:Why is LotR Online good?
Well I'm pretty biased because I like Tolkien, I didn't think I would actually like an MMO enough to purchase content after the free download.

I spent many days and nights hacking away at it. When I tried the beta, I figured it was gonna be just another WoW rip off but I found when I got this MMO fancy that there was more to it than that, and I was quite amazed at the scope.

The average DaCer may or may not like it, but I think it's worth downloading to try in any case, considering the fact that I haven't played a better MMO thus far. The Codex seems to dig it pretty ok. Great game for specializing in your jobs you chose, if you like the idea of working hard in a game...

Christ I haven't even reached level 40 yet and I'm already a master woodworker, I can craft bows 20+ levels above what I can equip. Because I literally ran around whole nights collecting wood whilst dodging high level enemies.

In my honest opinion, it looks like MMO's are the safest future in the RPG department for anybody who wants to shy away from Bethesda, with a few single play gems poka dotted here and there (MnB, NV, AoD, DS).
Kashluk wrote:It isn't. It's shit.
Now I really want to hear why it's shit in nice detail. I think it's only fair..
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Any MMO is shit.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

SenisterDenister wrote:Any MMO is shit.
you're shit:

Try again, foo.