Dead State Design Update

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Dead State Design Update

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

<strong>[ Game -> Update ]</strong>

<p>Dead State also known as the Zombie RPG being developed by 2 guys from Obsidian or something just released a new design doc according to RPGcodex;</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><em>I didn't post a design update for DoubleBear's zombie game <strong>Dead State</strong> for a while, <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... 941.0.html" target="_blank">so here is one</a>:</em></p>
<blockquote style="padding-left: 30px;">
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><em>Honestly speaking - I think the second Brian and I decided where we were going to set the game in the US, we settled on a school as the player's Shelter. It wasn't really something we hemmed and hawed about, because it seemed a natural choice to us: as we mentioned in our grand reveal article in <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08 ... -revealed/" target="_blank">Rock, Paper, Shotgun</a>, modern American schools (such as the ones Brian and I went to in Florida and Arizona, respectively) look a lot more like fortresses or prisons than the traditional concept of a school. The esteemed Vince was even a little curious about our choice, but when we sent him pictures of schools we'd found while researching the area, and detailed the various features of our own alma maters, he was stunned at the high levels of security of modern schools, and agreed that a school did indeed seem like a pretty good choice.

Another consideration we had that made the school a good solution is that in many areas of the United States, they're set as designated gathering areas in case of disasters. Their gyms are an excellent place to hold and house displaced residents, they have cooking facilities and basic medical supplies on hand, and while old schools (no joke) had bomb shelters, many newer ones - such as those in the tornado-struck region of Texas where </em><em>Dead State is set - have underground severe weather shelters. Even if the area was evacuated, those residents either not willing or able to leave would justifiably gather in such a secure location.

The last element that made a school the most feasible location for the Shelter is its modularity. Classrooms are designed to change and swap out elements as teachers and students change, so an unused room has a larger potential to be converted to something more useful than, say, a hotel room could. In addition to this, a school has the starter materials to open up many options for upgrades. The kiln in the art room may not be tested for extremely high temperatures, but with the right supplies and know-how, it might be able to make valuable items. The infirmary is only stocked with the bare minimum of medical supplies, but their advantages are a surplus of room, beds, and an efficient layout. Lab rooms are tested for far higher volume of toxic safety than the average high school chemistry class could ever think of studying - with the right materials, it could prove very useful to you and your fellow survivors. Possibilities exist that require only the right knowledge, supplies, and construction time to unlock, and though you may not have the ability to obtain them all, each one offers its own unique advantages... and, of course, your fellow survivors will have their own preferences for which upgrade to pursue.</em></p>
</blockquote><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com">RPG Codex</a></p>
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

I'm pretty psyched for this one. I'm also surprised it took so long for someone to decide to make a zombie rpg.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

This game is going to be so much fun.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I'm excited.

I'm also curious how many more games can have "Dead" in the title.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I don't get excited for anything anymore, because nothing lives up to the hype.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

Retlaw83 wrote:I don't get excited for anything anymore, because nothing lives up to the hype.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

SenisterDenister wrote:This game is going to be so much fun.
Word. Besides, only one year to go 'til TBA! :drunk:
Pity we'll only get a couple of days to play it, at least according to the mayans.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Mayan long count calendars have ended before. When that happens they slap fresh coats of paint on the buildings and have a parade, though they'll miss next year's festivities on account of being dead.

Also, Mayan calendar keeping is circumspect at best - they have monuments that commemorate events from the year 3,000 AD.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Dogmeatlives wrote:I'm pretty psyched for this one. I'm also surprised it took so long for someone to decide to make a zombie rpg.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:
Dogmeatlives wrote:I'm pretty psyched for this one. I'm also surprised it took so long for someone to decide to make a zombie rpg.

Now we just need a spaghetti western style RPG in development.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Red Dead?
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Kashluk wrote:Red Dead?
Not much of an RPG in my honest opinion.

That's like comparing Dead State to Dead Rising.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

At least it's well-done in every category. Not a single part of that game was half-assed
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Red Dead was fucking amazing, but I would have enjoyed a more rpg-like experience instead of a gta 'go here and shoot people' style. a larger gripe is the lack of real difficulty. I never felt like I had really better be alert because action sequences were made clear by cutscenes and other warning signs and if I died I could just keep trying til I won.

Gripes not related to multi-player, which is still the shit imo.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Wish they ported Red Dead for the PC but I think the project was cancelled. Then again, if the quality's going to be anything like the GTA4 port then oh well fuck that.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Manoil wrote:At least it's well-done in every category. Not a single part of that game was half-assed
Sure, if you like the idea of having a small controllable hand in a cimematic movie and consider that "fucking amazing" gaming experience than I guess I can see the fruit in that.

Atmosphere and storytelling not to mention grafix are the hallmark of what I want in a g-g-game?

oh tits. :drunk:
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

If you want to be more like Blargh you'll need a thesaurus.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Stalagmite wrote:
Manoil wrote:At least it's well-done in every category. Not a single part of that game was half-assed
Sure, if you like the idea of having a small controllable hand in a cimematic movie and consider that "fucking amazing" gaming experience than I guess I can see the fruit in that.

Atmosphere and storytelling not to mention grafix are the hallmark of what I want in a g-g-game?

oh tits. :drunk:
You are really putting in 110% towards being a whiny, belligerent cunt these days, you know that? :overachiever:
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

If you can't argue my points in a logical and levelheaded manner dearest Danny (wittiness would be nice as well but alas, beggers can't be choosers) I have no choice but to call you whiney belligerent cunt.

Fuck this shit. I shouldn't have to DEAL.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Stalagmite wrote:If you can't argue my points in a logical and levelheaded manner dearest Danny (wittiness would be nice as well but alas, beggers can't be choosers) I have no choice but to call you whiney belligerent cunt.

Fuck this shit. I shouldn't have to DEAL.
It's finding time to argue virtually every statement of mine as WRONG! that makes you a whiny belligerent cunt. Its not about being right for you, it's about making me wrong. If your primary goal in life is to start fights to prove your manly worth, you could at least have the decency to embrace it and not parade around as Blargh.
Our Host!