Celebrating Academia

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

Thoughts on the Academia?

Aiming for PhD.
36%
Going for Master's.
18%
Settling with Bachelor's.
18%
No need / interest / guts to study that much.
No votes
I despise higher education out of pure principle.
27%

Total votes: 11

Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

why rush to do your ma? it seems a bit more common around here to wait a year or so to at least get the money together. if i could id probably do it, then contribute to the greatest sphere of human knowledge: holograms through time.

my plan was to do teacher training next year but its going to cost to much so i might to tefl or something and teach some gooks how to say arse and real grammer n that. ill probably just end up being on the dole drinkin cider in a burned out pram though or some shit whatever
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Three words: free college education.

But, come on, seriously. You, too - a teacher? What's going on, when did DaC turn into a teacher's conference? :chew:
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

My Bachelor's is in Education with an English Specialization so yeah, I'm qualified.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Wunderbar! And even more so: what the hell is going on, why are all into teaching business?
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

I thought I'd be good at it, and I was getting to the age where I had to hurry my ass up and get qualified to do something. That being said, after looking back illustration/animation might have been a better decision.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Kashluk wrote:Three words: free college education.

But, come on, seriously. You, too - a teacher? What's going on, when did DaC turn into a teacher's conference? :chew:
i always thought teaching would be an alright gig. plus im studying fine art so what else am i going to do :lmao:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well, it does sound like a pretty solid plan - no sarcasm. I can't imagine a world without teachers. A world without politicians or engineers I could, but not teachers. So there should always be plenty of work. It might not get you rich or be that satisfying, but hey, life's a bitch and then you die, right? :chick:
Cakester
They call me Bum Tickler

Post by Cakester »

Well I am done ruining everyone's day . I have to start on my game.
I been K-lined, G-lined, and Kalvin Klein'd. Nevermind , my kicks, temp bans, perma bans and accusations that i use contraband. i am a hardcore troller, from when i get out of bed, till i fall asleep contemplating the new trolls that lay ahead. 24/7 the net is active, gotta preemptive or be two two puh packive
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Kashluk wrote:Well, it does sound like a pretty solid plan - no sarcasm. I can't imagine a world without teachers. A world without politicians or engineers I could, but not teachers. So there should always be plenty of work. It might not get you rich or be that satisfying, but hey, life's a bitch and then you die, right? :chick:
i dont really measure self based on having a good job or benjaminz. though its a sad sack thing to think i guess, i am more passionate about hobbies and stuff. i see work in general as a trading of time as that is the best finite measure, only thing worth owt to anybody.

:joy:
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Psychoul »

Wow Kashluk hahaha, that was 2 years ago you were in the military!? that seems like last month hahaha.

I am a Freshmen at a University in America studyingscientific stuff.. i plan on not teaching... hahaha Hopefully i know exactly what i want to do for a career... sometimes i look back and think i should study something different, but that is because i forget the reasons i started doing what i am doing now. What else would i do lol?!
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

@Meg:

Of course you don't, I wouldn't expect any less from you. I pity the fool who runs after money and forgets to live his life while doing so. In general, our generations X and Y live in a post-industrial, post-modern, post-salary society, where our worth isn't determined through what we do for a living, but through the ways we express ourselves and spend our free time. And I don't necessarily see this as bad proggress.

@Psych:

Yeah, time flies like an arrow, doesn't it? What sort of science are you studying? Chemistry, physics, engineering..? And what is it that you want for a career, then?
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

After 4 years of undegrad, I am now doing a Masters. It's not very easy to get a job right now.

edit: spelling
Last edited by Frater Perdurabo on Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Psychoul »

@Kashluk
Im currently pursuing a degree in computer science; there seems to be many opportunities for jobs......, but now im sort of rethinking it, although i think it is fun at the moment. The classes on this subject are the ones i look forward to the most.

I really havent thought exactly where i want to work, or what i want to do.
But my original plan was to write code for video games, but that was like 2 years ago. Things have changed my perspective on the functionality of computers... we will see.. hahaha
Our Host!