What exacly has Obama done that he hasn't promised?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

What exacly has Obama done that he hasn't promised?

Post by Username »

To me it seems weird that people are against Obama. I mean I understand that those who voted against him still do. But those that voted for him should continue. He has fulfilled all the things he said he would or most at least except for the things that the republicans won't fulfill neither.

This election to me just says that people are extremely easily influenced by outside sources. But I am not that into US domestic politics so I'd prefer it if an american explained.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I get really fucking annoyed when Europeans pretend to know what they're talking about when it comes to US politics.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Aww mr american can tell the whole world how to behave despite being clueless but can't handle it the other way around?

Stop being such a stupid sterotype for a stupid american, please. I even comment on the fact that I'm uncertain and you still have to talk out of your ass.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Congress will become completely gridlocked since the Republicans have the House but the Democrats still have the Senate. If the Democrats get the House back in 2012 shit might get done, but if the Republicans get back in charge of the congress (and presidency maybe) expect more tax cuts for everyone (the rich especially), less regulations on everything, no government intervention in the economic crisis, less spending on everything except military, and a repeal on national health-care.

We'll be right back where we started at the outbreak of the recession except even deeper in the hole.

Not saying that Democrats are any better than Republicans, but at least they actually try to do something about it. Party partisanship is fucking stupid.
gobbleykins
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by gobbleykins »

Username wrote:Aww mr american can tell the whole world how to behave despite being clueless but can't handle it the other way around?

Stop being such a stupid sterotype for a stupid american, please. I even comment on the fact that I'm uncertain and you still have to talk out of your ass.
no really shut up you don't understand shit about US politics. if you did you would recognize it would make no difference whether obama was the president or not. US parties are so moderate yet so hatefully divided that nothing ever gets done even though both sides essentially want the same thing.

also it's really easy to take pot shots at fucked government systems when yours is pretty alright (cough sweden cough)
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

You know it to be true.

Post by Blargh »

European governments are 'pretty alright' ? Ahahaha. I would pale at the thought of what you construe as 'pretty alright'. Instead, it seems the sanest course is for the proponents of such luminous worldliness to STOP DISCUSSING POLITICS. Yes. :drunk:
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

The sooner the populace belittles politicians as "Shit" the more progressed everyone may be.
If you disagree politely you may in fact make a good politician.
if you disagree heavily you may in fact be mad.
If you agree heavily you may in fact be a pedophile.

:TOUCH OF SALT:
Macky
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Macky »

The fact that this discussion is happening at this point @ DAC really highlights the lackluster impact of a Fallout sequel on it's old fanbase.

To answer the question, California almost legalized marijuana this past tuesday with 3.4 for legalization vs 3.9 million against legalization. How close is your district/county/WWII trench outpost/sand colony to doing the same?

You see what I am doing is basing the sophistication of your government on marijuana policy. Do you have a better barometer - no, you don't.
2%
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Who cares? :drunk:
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Username wrote:Aww mr american can tell the whole world how to behave despite being clueless but can't handle it the other way around?

Your first line makes no fucking sense in the context of my post. I'm saying I'm sick of Europeans not understanding US politics but acting as if they understand US politics.

Obama, coddled as he has been with wealth and high ideals, doesn't know how the system works at an individual level for people. Things like health care reform are needed, but the thing that passed does nothing but help health insurance companies rake in more cash under the pretext of higher operating costs.

That's not to say I unthinkingly oppose Obama like a Fox News puppet; I hate the Republicans, too. All politicians are sleaze out for personal gain.

I could make a lengthy post describing the political climate of the US in detail, but it's so disgusting that it aggravates. When I see a European go, "lol y do americans not want to suk obamas cock lol he seems like a swell guy" the lack of any grounding in knowledge irks me.

If you have specific questions, ask them. Don't ask for the entire shitfest that's the current political climate to be outlined for you.
- the Vault Dweller
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Ohai, politiks thread!! Inb4 WW3!!!

Kthxbai!
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Macky wrote:To answer the question, California almost legalized marijuana this past tuesday with 3.4 for legalization vs 3.9 million against legalization. How close is your district/county/WWII trench outpost/sand colony to doing the same?

You see what I am doing is basing the sophistication of your government on marijuana policy. Do you have a better barometer - no, you don't.
Netherlands must be the home of sophistication, then.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Retlaw83 wrote:I get really fucking annoyed when Europeans pretend to know what they're talking about when it comes to US politics.
gobbleykins
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Re: You know it to be true.

Post by gobbleykins »

Blargh wrote:European governments are 'pretty alright' ? Ahahaha. I would pale at the thought of what you construe as 'pretty alright'. Instead, it seems the sanest course is for the proponents of such luminous worldliness to STOP DISCUSSING POLITICS. Yes. :drunk:
man blargh you are really good at belittling people

I was merely suggesting when compared to american governments european nations can't have much to complain about although I suppose in drunken retrospect that's not necessarily true. the fact that someone from sweden is criticising americans on their voting tendencies seems rich to me, as if someone were on a high horse and I ought to knock him down.

and as for my classification of "pretty alright," a non-apathetic populace who actually cared about their national identity (really what is national identity anyway?) and shit going down in their country would be "pretty alright," although I guess I'm wearing rose coloured glasses if I imagine european nations have somehow achieved this (again in retrospect).

oh well fuck it this is the internet no one really cares anyway
Kashluk

Re: You know it to be true.

Post by Kashluk »

gobbleykins wrote: the fact that someone from sweden is criticising americans on their voting tendencies seems rich to me, as if someone were on a high horse and I ought to knock him down.
But, then again, cultural relativism is absolute shite :dance:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

I HAVE BEEN SAID TO BE A BARD OF DEFAMATION AFTER ALL

Post by Blargh »

Bananafone wrote::blahblah:
Borders, National Identity, jingoism, are all constructs of the mind. At the risk of Overwhelming Profundity - wherever humans live, the same failures of imagination and pitfalls of self-absorption will be found. As you, and many others have demonstrated, point of view is all that really changes. Ergo, idyllic fiction/nonsense of The Other, however grounded in Fact (though usually assumption), partial or otherwise. No opting out of the Merry-go-wronged.
Smashuk wrote::dance:
YES. :drunk:
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Retlaw83 wrote:

Your first line makes no fucking sense in the context of my post. I'm saying I'm sick of Europeans not understanding US politics but acting as if they understand US politics.

Obama, coddled as he has been with wealth and high ideals, doesn't know how the system works at an individual level for people. Things like health care reform are needed, but the thing that passed does nothing but help health insurance companies rake in more cash under the pretext of higher operating costs.

That's not to say I unthinkingly oppose Obama like a Fox News puppet; I hate the Republicans, too. All politicians are sleaze out for personal gain.

I could make a lengthy post describing the political climate of the US in detail, but it's so disgusting that it aggravates. When I see a European go, "lol y do americans not want to suk obamas cock lol he seems like a swell guy" the lack of any grounding in knowledge irks me.

If you have specific questions, ask them. Don't ask for the entire shitfest that's the current political climate to be outlined for you.

Okey chill the fuck out a bit. I do unerstand this point of view actually. And I'm not saying you should suck his cock, not metaphoricly and not physicly. I was actually quite critical of Obama for quite some time. Then I took some time to read about what he actually has done.

For example I thought the same that you do now about the healthcarereform. A reform that just seemed worse than both a real free market reform and a state owned healthcare reform.

But from what I understand he did put in a "public option". An option for people to completely disregard private insurance companies, go for the public and keep the profits for the people.

Right?
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

I feel sorry for Kentucky having voted in Rand Paul. The dumb backwoods bastards. Where I live Tom Corbett is the gov and I think he couldn't be any worse then Rendell.
Cow Cud is a twin.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

If you wanna know why americans are turning against Obama, do like ten minutes of research. Health care reform is a big one. The right wingers are mad because he "reformed" it, while the lefties and the vast majority in between are upset because he actually made it worse.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Username wrote:Right?
Supposedly, medicaid will be available to people earning 133% above the national poverty level or lower. This won't be until 2012, at least, and there's no telling how much it'll cost.

If you're not living in poverty or near it, tough shit - health care reform essentially forces you to pay for top of the line insurance packages, even if you don't need them, and if you go uninsured you get fined by the government.
rad resistance wrote:I feel sorry for Kentucky having voted in Rand Paul. The dumb backwoods bastards. Where I live Tom Corbett is the gov and I think he couldn't be any worse then Rendell.
My nig. I'm from PA too. I'd daresay a moldering sandwich would be a better governor than Rendell; the only reason he was in office for so long was because of the Philadelphia area kept voting for him. I live in Pittsburgh, and he kept diverting funding from our city to take care of his home town of Philly. He was a great governor of Philadelphia, but shat on the rest of the state.
- the Vault Dweller
Our Host!