Welcome to New Vegas (first impressions)

Discuss Obsidian's Vegas Fallout game here. Also: Fallout 4, Fallout 76, Fallout Shelter and other new dairy products from Bethesda's farm that don't have separate forums here yet.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Alright, I'm going into the Mother Deathclaw (and Alpha Male) breeding grounds with a 1 Endurance Melee/Unarmed character. I'm level 22 and this still scares the Holy Guacamole out of me.

Update: Just spotted the mother, roughly three times the size of a standard deathclaw, jet black, long backwards facing horns with 4 babies in tow. This will be fun...

Update II: Wow, a challenge in a Fallout game, imagine that. Deathclaw quarry, population: zero.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
Amis
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Amis »

Aonaran wrote:Alright, I'm going into the Mother Deathclaw (and Alpha Male) breeding grounds with a 1 Endurance Melee/Unarmed character. I'm level 22 and this still scares the Holy Guacamole out of me.

Update: Just spotted the mother, roughly three times the size of a standard deathclaw, jet black, long backwards facing horns with 4 babies in tow. This will be fun...

Update II: Wow, a challenge in a Fallout game, imagine that. Deathclaw quarry, population: zero.
I just went on the top of one of the mining buildings and sniped that suckah. Lost all of my ammo though.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Yeah, it is a great roost. Only problem is getting there...
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I'm playing it but I'm not very far but I can already tell its much better done than FO3, and hearing the old FO2 music (especially in Nipton) just shows how superior it was compared to the new score they made in FO3. I like the new dialog obviously but I also like how varied the skill checks are in conversations, I was expecting all of them to be speech checks but those have actually been in the minority so far. Also being able to see how much of what skill you would need to succeed with a certain dialog option is really useful and I like it.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Uh, Primm fired the robot. There any way I can get a replacement for him?
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

SenisterDenister wrote:Uh, Primm fired the robot. There any way I can get a replacement for him?
You can get that guy out of the NCR Corrections facility. You have to clear it with the NCR in Primm, who might send you somewhere else for further verification, but he's worth the trouble.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Just popped in to see if it was weird that I was enjoying this and lo n' behold, it's actually getting crowded in here!

Only major disappointment so far was going cross-country, arriving at Jacobstown half dead and with only 2 working limbs just to see Marcus and finding out Dorn doesn't really sound like the Fo2 Marcus anymore.

Still, the bartender at Sloan gave me a heck of a laugh.

Anyone else finding energy weapons a bit underpowered? So far seems FNV "switched the power balance" from EW>SG to GU>EW.
SenisterDenister wrote:Uh, Primm fired the robot. There any way I can get a replacement for him?
You could get that bloke that's in the NCR correctional facility but, oddly enough, people react as if I just let the NCR take over the town.
Oddly, because afaik the options are gangerbloke/robot/NCR. Gangerbloke gets a lulzy radio report tho.

edit - Damn, ninja-ed.:flamed:
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Tofu Man wrote:Still, the bartender at Sloan gave me a heck of a laugh
If you want a good belly laugh, go to Westside (west of Vegas proper) and talk to the hispanic hotel owner parked in the chair outside the main entrance. I about pissed myself. Also "Mean Sonofabitch" (another Westside local) is pretty sexcellent, a Super Mutant with a speech impediment...
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Tofu Man wrote:Gangerbloke gets a lulzy radio report tho.
Robot radio report is also lulzy.

I know it's not the height of wit, but Tabitha's references to battle cattle in her radio show crack me up every time.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
SenisterDenister

Aonaran wrote:
You can get that guy out of the NCR Corrections facility. You have to clear it with the NCR in Primm, who might send you somewhere else for further verification, but he's worth the trouble.
I cleared it out myself, and doing it on Hardcore on Very Hard was a bitch and a half, even with ED-E. The NCR guys outside of Primm never said they would help me after I cleared out the hotel and everyone asked me to find a new sheriff, which was why I chose the robot. The town turned on the robot and gunned him down in the middle of the street (reference me saying "they fired him") but I think that was a glitch, because everyone still acts like Primm got a sheriff and the guy at the correctional facility won't budge.
Amis
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Amis »

I'm still trying to find the burned man... Everyone in ceasar's legion talks about him, now i'm guessing this guy is hangedman from Van Buren amirite?
SenisterDenister

I wouldn't doubt it. In the Van Buren documents the Hanged Man was supposed to be found hanging by a noose covered in bandages, so I'd start looking around gallows.

Whoever is playing this on PC throw out your Steam ID's for non-Vegas mutliplayer action. Mine's firebat1690.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

If gamebyro can't do ladders, I doubt it can do someone hanging from a noose, hence the change from "The Hanged Man" to "The Burned Man".
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

I had issue with the NPC allies in that they just seem to disintegrate at the moment of contact. I spent half of my gameplay for awhile reloading saves because the dog would run in and get two shot by a scorpion until I finally said fuck it, I'll do NPCs when I'm not on VHard or something.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Tofu Man wrote:Anyone else finding energy weapons a bit underpowered? So far seems FNV "switched the power balance" from EW>SG to GU>EW.
Personally I think guns are pretty shit [I haven't found much special ammo, however], but plasma seems to wreck things quite regularly. I have decent [~50-60] Energy and bad [~30] small arms and I just roll around with a 10mm pistol or shotgun to use on trash and a plasma rifle to drop heavy hitters. Things like Deathclaws, though, are nigh upon invulnerable and it takes half of my ammo and a lot of running to get them to go down no matter what i use.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

jetbaby wrote:Things like Deathclaws, though, are nigh upon invulnerable and it takes half of my ammo and a lot of running to get them to go down no matter what i use.
I've been laying great justice onto deathclaws with an anti-materiel rifle with armor piercing rounds, and a riot shotgun to the face if they get too close.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Post by Doc Hill »

Just beat it on my third playthrough, kept being unhappy with my choices and going back. Guns beat the hell out of MOST energy weapons. I hold the Plasma Caster and recharger rifle apart from that for obvious and different reasons.

Going to try and unarmed melee runthrough, seeing the ballsitic glove in action leaves me hopeful it will kick ass.

Obviously there are bugs and glitches, whatever memory leak or whatever is going on with the 360 version of this game is kinda unexcusable, and needs to be fixed...sorta hard.

I was suprised by how deep the ties to FO2 could run. Not all of it perfect, but there was ALOT tying this to the franchise in ways fo3 SHOULD have been.

Overall, it's superior to 3. Not perfect, but it's enjoyable and recognisable as what it is.
Life is like cheap whiskey, it's mostly bad, and leaves a shitty taste in your mouth, but it's better then nothing.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Put 45 points into Melee so you can get the "Super Slam" perk, it makes a fuckton of difference for an Unarmed build. Also, Ballistic Fist does indeed kick ass. I'm just starting my second playthrough, which was supposed to be guns, but I liked Melee/Unarmed so much I'm going with that again.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

The Sniper rifle ended up being the bread and butter weapon after being aggravated by the shotgun. Christ it got to the point where I could snipe the head off any NCR trooper/ranger one shot even with only 5 luck with all the perks. Didn't really fuck around with exploring and shit this game sorta just ran right through it.

Not sure what I'll do on my next playthrough.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Alright, if any DACer wants to know how to get the Fallout 2 power armor at any level with no questing and without having to fight 50 Deathclaw, lemmie know cause my level 8 ass just did it.
Our Host!