Losing Limbs

Discuss Obsidian's Vegas Fallout game here. Also: Fallout 4, Fallout 76, Fallout Shelter and other new dairy products from Bethesda's farm that don't have separate forums here yet.
Macky
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Losing Limbs

Post by Macky »

One of the greatest and most valuable features of the original Fallout games was the caption screen that told you when you had blinded a Raider or shot a bullet through an enemy's gun-wielding hand to the point of reading "his fingers hang on by threads."

And then the deranged NPC's either fled like cowards or shot like Psychosniper's grandma.

Yet one of the most disappointing combat restructuring-s of Fallout 3 was that limbs were only damaged upon a death sequence. Meaning that an enemy won't operate under the effects - whatever strategic maneuvers you make in combat - to the extent they had to in F1 and F2. They will not be blinded, maimed, debilitated, or specifically damaged in any way until and unless he/she is DEAD... which really defeats the purpose of trying to VATS somebody's knees off.

In many ways I think this is what cheapened the VATS experience - and combat in general - in F3 that many observers failed to mention. It's such a simple structural feature that could have brought F3 closer to the original survival experience of the original Fallouts.

Anyway Fallout 3 had so many more problems but my question/observation is that the Obsidian's developer's had mentioned 'spearing somebody's arm to a wall' and I'm just hoping that there will be a way to do visible, strategic damage to an NPC without/before killing them.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I noticed that too in Fallout 3 - the only visible damage you could do to someone was hitting their legs, which just made them limp at a walking pace.

I'm putting a lot of faith in Obsidian to make a real Fallout game.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Unlikely to change, at least by NV. Engine's limitations will more than likely dictate that only the same level of VATS possibilities will exist as only the same number of body parts will exist. Shit outta luck until FO4
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Manoil wrote:Shit outta luck until FO4
Or FOOL :drunk:
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

Personally I'm waiting for Batman Arkham City.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Yonmanc wrote:Personally I'm waiting for Batman Arkham City.
Indeed. Though it would be cute if they kept more original voice actors rather than dubbing in generics (case: Commish. Gordon). Also, having Two-Face as the first villain fought tops Vic Zsaz.

The story, though, seems to be a minimalist rehash of the No Man's Land plot. One of the best (if not the best) events in Batman's history, so it's a setting I, for one, look forward to.

Most of the villains were well-portrayed in the first game, with the exception of Bane. I doubt they're going to use him at all like his role in No Man's Land, so assuming he has a presence, it's all up in the air.

Also interested in seeing cameos/involvement of Nightwing and Azrael, as well as villains of the first game, assuming there's decent placement for them in the story.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

If it was possible to force limping (walking) by shooting someone in the leg then it should be possible to cause severe perception loss by shooting someone in the eyes and such even if its not graphical.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

You could also shoot weapons out of enemy's hands in Fallout 3, but it was obnoxious because if it was a somewhat rare weapon that you wanted it had 0% condition when you looted it.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
hoochimama
Respected
Respected

Post by hoochimama »

Username wrote:If it was possible to force limping (walking) by shooting someone in the leg then it should be possible to cause severe perception loss by shooting someone in the eyes and such even if its not graphical.
This already happens when you cripple someone's head.
You could also shoot weapons out of enemy's hands in Fallout 3, but it was obnoxious because if it was a somewhat rare weapon that you wanted it had 0% condition when you looted it.

Crippling their arms makes them drop their weapons intact, although they might try to pick them back up.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Hands down VATS sucks donkey cock.
Cow Cud is a twin.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

So what's the problem then? It's not like we saw the limbs blow away when they were shot in Fallout 2?

I mean sure, it woud be awesome. But it's not a biggie.
Our Host!