New Poll: The music of Fallout v. Fallout 3

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

New Poll: The music of Fallout v. Fallout 3

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Community -> Update ]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Inon Zur">Person: Inon Zur</a> | More info on <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Mark Morgan">Person: Mark Morgan</a>

<p>This week's new poll is inspired by <a href="../../forums/viewtopic.php?t=24130">the release of the remastered Fallout soundtracks</a> that we reported on yesterday. The poll question asks: <strong>Do you prefer the music from the original Fallouts by Mark Morgan, or the music from Fallout 3 by Inon Zur?</strong></p>
<p>Go to <a href="../../">the main page</a> and vote in the upper right corner, then say why you voted that way here in the comments.</p>
<p> </p>
<hr />
<p> </p>
<p>The result of the last poll showed that a majority (42%) of you are excited about the fact that Obsidian is improving the dialogue for Fallout: New Vegas, however you "are worried abotu crappy voice actors again. The second place winner, with 42%, should that you are very excited about the prospects of better dialogue and a better dialogue system because "the dialogue in Fallout 3 was horrible and ruined the game."</p>
<p>Only 5% of you thought the dialogue in Fallout 3 was fine.</p>
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

are you kidding me
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

You never know what some people might think. It's obvious to you and me, but with all the SDFs out there...
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

anybody who chooses Zur deserves to have their ear-drums punctured.
Cimmerian Nights wrote:Todd Howard: making RPGs for people who hate RPGs.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

There's a time and a place for Zur (Icewind Dale type games). But his epic, orchestral, LOTR type big-symphonic stuff is way out of place in Fallout. Morgan's bleak minimalism does as much to define the world as any other element.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
sydneyroo
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by sydneyroo »

Fallout 3 score is not bad but I still like the classic one better.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I was having this nostalgia blast today listening to Mark Morgan's tracks... both Fallout and Planescape: Torment have amazing background music.
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

I prefer the Mark Morgan's. Fallout 3's music wasn't bad, but it was bland. It didn't set a tone or a feel, it was just there and you sort of guessed it meant something. Morgan's music had a great geel to it. I think the secret is the insruments. If you listen to the Morgan stuff, there is a distinct sound, and the instruments are manipulated in such a way as to maximise a feel.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

the music in fo3 sounded like an elven army heading for mordor or something, stupid epic shit
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

The way I see it is that the music in Fallout 3 is music that it sounds like it was designed to be listened to. It's too distracting from the actual game and doesn't do much for immersion and atmosphere. The music from Fallout 1 and 2, however, is much more mood-setting and it blends in perfectly with the locations. It's also good for p&p sessions.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

The radio stations were a nice touch, although they could've used a bit more variation. Roaming around in a partially collapsed subway tunnel while listening to some 50's tune added a nice contrast.

The official soundtrack was straight out of Oblivion, though. Too bad Todd Howard didn't have the balls to hire another composer.
TheBearPaw
SDF!
SDF!

Post by TheBearPaw »

Yeah, I loved Mark Morgan's music more, it is simply amazing. "Vats of Goo" - now that's the music playing in my head when I try to imagine something out of "Fallout's" universe; sends shivers down your spine. ;)

But I enjoyed Zur's main theme of F3 and Megaton's music piece as well. But the man only created like 3 tracks for the whole game, right? That's definitely not enough. The same "wasteland" tune is constantly playing on the loop when you turn off the Pip-Boy radio, and after a while it really starts to annoy.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

not general soundtrack, but I loved the vintage jazz radio tunes. That said, the soundtrack of the original Fallouts is obviously a masterpiece.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

They both sound pretty different but I liked Morgans better obviously. I'm surprised they didn't try and capture the same type of music that Morgan made instead they kind of did that epic stuff. I always liked the music in fallout and planescape and they stood out the most to me maybe because the games were good or the music was really good too.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

KoC already mentioned it: it's perfect gaming music. It's not too over-the-top that you would suddenly notice that you're listening to it. It doesn't feel awkward. It sets the mood and becomes a seamless part of the setting. I always considered the music in Fallout and Planescape to be more like "background noise" rather than music per se.

But yeah, could be that this stuff is just loaded with good feelings because it was nice music in a great game(s).
Jim Cojones
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Jim Cojones »

My propositions of questions for the next polls:

Have you ever browsed Duck and Cover?
Do you like Fallout?
Is KoC gay?
Is 2+2 equal 4?
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Thanks Jim, great contributions :chew:
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

Yes to all those
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
inomel
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by inomel »

If there are bots here, I blame KoC. Now that the subtleties of FO1/2 can be heard clearly from the recent release, I can update my games now. -_-
Appearing stupid is sexier than being stupid. Although I hear stoopid was a cut perk in fallout three, but was abandoned when the devs found out it could be simulated by simply playing the game...
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

Partially ze new Ausfall Musik miks is a bit TOO gut. I like the mushyness of some of the older tunes for sakes of atmosphere. Some of you asshole bragged how the music is more ambient sounds than music, and I agree. Hearing this shit so clear is pretty :subhuman:
���������
Our Host!