The Escapist does Fallout: New Vegas

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

The Escapist does Fallout: New Vegas

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Game -> Preview ]</strong> - News related to <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/archives.php ... ry=94">Top Story: New screens and info from Fallout: New Vegas</a> | More info on <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/J. E. Sawyer">Person: J. E. Sawyer</a> | More info on <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Josh Sawyer">Person: Josh Sawyer</a> | More info on <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Obsidian Entertainment">Company: Obsidian Entertainment</a> | More info on <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout: New Vegas">Game: Fallout: New Vegas</a>

<p>I guess when The Escapist editor-in-chief Russ Pitts told me that he'd be able to share the details from the Las Vegas press event next month, he really meant "in about a week." I also should have probably realized that April was already almost over. Anyway, here are the highlights of the new information from <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... Vegas">The Escapist's preview</a> of <em><strong>Fallout: New Vegas</strong></em> -</p>
<blockquote>
<p><em><span id="intelliTXT">Hardcore Mode can be enabled or disabled at any point in the game but there will, of course, be an achievement for playing the game the entire way through in Hardcore.</span></em></p>
<p><em><span>...</span></em></p>
<p><span id="intelliTXT">
<p><em>Here's a short list of just the weapons Obsidian showed off in the one-hour demo. There are more in the full game. Way more. Twice as many as in </em><em>Fallout 3:</em></p>
<p><em>9-Iron (Fore!)
Grenade Machine Gun (It is what it sounds like.)
Dynamite (In stick form.)
Trail Carbine (A lever-action, rifle.)
Varmint Gun (A small caliber, semi-auto rifle.)
.357 Cowboy Rifle (A Winchester-style lever action gun.)
Plasma Caster (A </em><em>Fallout 1 & 2 favorite returns.)
9mm Pistol
Grenade Launcher (Death from afar.)
Single-Shot Shotgun (A powerful new scatter gun.)
Caravan Gun (An over-under short barrel, double scatter gun.)</em></p>
<p><em>...</em></p>
<p><em><span id="intelliTXT">"You can buy mods at a lot of different places," says Sawyer, "like one of the most prominent groups you'll find in the wasteland are the Gun Runners. And there are a lot of different groups that sell mods. They make them for explosives, energy weapons, all sorts of different stuff. You simply have to buy them."</span></em></p>
<p><em><span id="intelliTXT">"We didn't really want to take anything away from V.A.T.S.," says Sawyer. "We just wanted to make sure the real time stuff was improved. So we did things to improve the responsiveness, we improved in-sight aiming so there's more connection to what your gun is shooting at. It's not about taking away from V.A.T.S., people use V.A.T.S. all the time, it's a really good tool in the game and there's a lot of RPG stuff that ties into it. We wanted to make sure that people wanted to play the game in real time and that it's as responsive as they expect it to be."</span></em></p>
<p><em><span id="intelliTXT">By way of introduction to the vast Vegas wasteland of <em>New Vegas</em>, Obsidian showed off a few new areas in their demo, like the towns of Good Springs, Primm, Novak (the home of Dinky the Dinosaur), the super mutant encampment at Black Mountain, the military/scientific installation Helios 1, Camp McCarran, site of the real-world Las Vegas airport and the city itself, New Vegas. We didn't get a very good look at Camp McCarran or the New Vegas strip, since, according to Sawyer, those areas are still "under construction - both literally and figuratively," but as Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart told us in <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... Comes-Home" target="_blank">our exclusive interview</a>, the world of <em>New Vegas</em> is so flat and wide open, you can actually see the New Vegas strip from almost anywhere in the world. It's a potent reminder that the wasteland is a vast, barren landscape, and that the New Vegas strip is a monster of a setting, rising up above the surrounding countryside like a monolith.</span></em></p>
<p><em>The vagaries of desert living have led the survivors in the Vegas waste to congregate in small townships, which you can visit and where you will naturally find quests. Yet in addition to the towns, larger groups of survivor factions are at work behind the scenes, each attempting to dominate the wasteland.</em></p>
<p><em>Fans of the series will probably remember the New California Republic, the militarized new government of the West Coast. The NCR returns in </em><em>New Vegas as a force for good or evil, depending on how you play it. You will also rub elbows with Caesar's Legion, a slaver outfit, various bands of super mutants, and more we don't yet know about.</em></p>
<p><em>...</em></p>
<p><em>"[The Reputation System]<span id="intelliTXT"> can manifest in a number of different ways," Sawyer says. "People might give you free things, they might give you discounts at places. If you terrorize a town, they might actually be terrified enough to give you a tribute. If you screw around with one of the bigger groups, like Caesar's Legion or NCR, they might send hit squads after you. </span></em></p>
</span></p>
<p><em><span id="intelliTXT">"It's not just good and evil, it's basically whatever you do with that group so you can have a lot of different relationships with different groups in the game."</span></em></p>
</blockquote>
<p><span id="intelliTXT"><span>Check out the whole article <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... </span></p>
<p><span><span>Thanks to <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com">Ausir</a> for the tip.
</span></span></p>
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Damn me, but I'm actually getting excited about this the more I hear about it.

Also getting more and more disgusted by Bethesda, too - if their engine can do this stuff, why didn't they take the time they spent making it render hallucination sequences and instead use it to make the goddamn game work?
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

it sounds great.

it looks like shit.

fucking bethesda, goddamn you.
Cimmerian Nights wrote:Todd Howard: making RPGs for people who hate RPGs.
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

Gun Runners? ECKSYTMENT!
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

These guys should have made Fallout 3 in the first place.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

No, Van Buren should've gone on to become Fallout 3.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

HEEHAUGH BLEAURGH.
Siede
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Siede »

Wow, looks like the more information is released, the more everything Iv'e said in this forum since I signed up have been right.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Wow, looks like the more information is released, the more everything Iv'e said in this forum since I signed up have been right.
Siede
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Siede »

By the way, how big is the fallout new vegas world going to be, because if it is smaller than fallout 3 I might have a small fit. Not that the fallout 3 world was small but I just like to explore big maps, it's fun.
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

Siede wrote:Wow, looks like the more information is released, the more everything Iv'e said in this forum since I signed up have been right.
:clap:

wow, yeah! that's so true! next we'll surely read about ride-able deathclaws!
Siede wrote:By the way, how big is the fallout new vegas world going to be, because if it is smaller than fallout 3 I might have a small fit. Not that the fallout 3 world was small but I just like to explore big maps, it's fun.
Siede wrote:so how big is the map in square miles?
Yonmanc

Post by Yonmanc »

Siede wrote:By the way, how big is the fallout new vegas world going to be, because if it is smaller than fallout 3 I might have a small fit. Not that the fallout 3 world was small but I just like to explore big maps, it's fun.
Since you worded the question differently, I have magically come up with an answer.

In fact, I've drawn a picture of it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++BryanB+++++++
+++++++++++00000000+++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++Fuck+++++++++
you++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++Siede eats++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++11111+++++++