So I just tried playing Fallout 3 again...

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands

So I just tried playing Fallout 3 again...

Post by Yonmanc »

I thought, what the hell, perhaps I'm being too harsh.

Amata thanked me, even though I ran right past the room without helping her.

No option to join the Church of Atom.

Stole some cleaning products.

Travelling Armor Trader and his machine gun bitch started running because of a glitch that makes random enemies spawn outside the town.

Beat the junkie to death with the baseball bat.

Got bored and put San Andreas on. Man, Catalina is one crazy puta ese! :love:
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Nobody cares what you just did Yonmac.

Die in a fire.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

MR Snake wrote:Nobody cares what you just did Yonmac.

Die in a fire.
Agreed, though it does serve the purpose of reminding us once more of why we need to be proactive in making devs aware of their failures.
Yonmanc

Post by Yonmanc »

MR Snake wrote:Nobody cares what you just did Yonmac.

Die in a fire.
Now is that any way to speak to your new father hm? Tell you what, go put the kettle on and go make me and your mam some tea, we wont be long.
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Taco-Hero »

I was thinking about replaying it too but played Jak and Daxter instead. What an awesome game.
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Kickstand27 »

i replay it all the time.. oh, i mean.. "boo fallout 3"
typos are bound to happen. fuck it
Yonmanc

Post by Yonmanc »

Well, I honestly tried. I went in there with a completely unbiased approach. Loaded up my DLC's for extra ADVENCHER and...It just didn't stick. I just didn't care for any of the characters plight.

"I can you deliver a letter to my brother!?!?!?!?!" No, no I can't.

"Disarm the town bomb?" Fuck you.

"Find me some scrap metal?" How about the drifters who complain that the town wont share it's water set up a scav team, and you pay them in water?

"Arm the nuke" why don't you get your talon mercs to do it?

"I'm dying of thirst" Fuck you.

"You don't have low enough Karma to hire Jehrico" how does he know I'm evil or not? I helped the tunnel snakes bully Amata and I beat that junkie to death.

"Go check the supermarket for food" Go fuck yourself, I've got tonnes of food already.

"Go get radiation so I can measure the affects" There's a ghoul in the bar across the road, that's the effect, enjoy.

No common sense in any of it, and that was only the first town! I remember really enjoying it on my first playthrough, but that was before I played the originals, and whilst I was still under the impression that what you did made a difference, and all the self-contradicting stuff must have been my doing.

This experience has taught me one thing though, that if Obsidian can pull off a good stroyline, and dialogue, I will be able to forgive the combat. The combat system sucks, but if Obsidian can make it so that not every mission forces you into combat...maybe NV wont be the big disaster I origanlly thought.
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Kickstand27 »

well considering most of those quests ease you into the game, why would you take them seriously after the first playthrough?>

i will usually just go directly from the vault, blow up megaton, let the gouhls in to tenpenny and then, instead os playing the game as it was intended, play the game as i see fit.. thats the thing about a sandbox game.. you can do wahtever you want.

so its not true to the original fallout titles. i cant argue that. but its still a game wherre you can get some enjoyment if you look at it from another perspective.

oops.. i mean "i yama noob whu haz not been playing vidjagames for 15+ years"
:shrugs:
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

Wallow in fields of shit and you probably won't notice the singular turd.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

well considering most of those quests ease you into the game, why would you take them seriously after the first playthrough?>
I was able to take the beginning quests from the previous Fallouts, even Tactics, seriously on multiple playthroughs. It's about consistency in story.
instead os playing the game as it was intended, play the game as i see fit.. thats the thing about a sandbox game.. you can do wahtever you want.
I tried that too. It works fine until a stray bullet hits a BoS member and the game becomes uncompletable, or you enslave certain NPCs and have to revert back to an earlier save slot because their AI script calls crash the game when they can't respond to them correctly from Paradise Falls. There's other game ending shit like this, but I'm too tired to dwell on it.
i cant argue that. but its still a game wherre you can get some enjoyment if you look at it from another perspective.
It's a buggy mess with no effort put into logical consistency. It can be fun in doses, but if I'm going to sandbox something I'm firing up GTA IV, an original Fallout, or Betrayal at Krondor.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Taco-Hero »

I didn't really notice many of these things in my first playthrough. Well I thought some of it was silly but I didn't think of it. But then after that I really started hating everyone in that game. The only character I liked was Harold and they made him a tree while that wandering super mutant would give you some sort of jacket and talk about the sunset or something. The combat system also pissed me off a bit. VATS was ok but I didn't like having to use it all the time.

I don't think Fallout 3 was a bad game, it was certainly better than Oblivion in my opinion. At the end however (the end as in a jumped off Tenpenny Tower and saved,) I was just this bloated almighty entity that all the people running around just turned into these cardboard cut-outs everywhere I turned. You just had to entertain yourself with these quests that didn't really seem to matter.

"I blew up Megaton!"

"Okay..." *goes wandering off somewhere*

I don't know. I don't think it was the piece of crap people made it out to be, but I understand that it was a departure from the original Fallouts which made people want to kill themselves. I just hope that New Vegas is good, but if not it'll probably be better than Fallout 3 and its DLC's.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Ret, you should get Red Dead Redemption when it comes out. Sandbox, open-world multiplayer for 8-player posses and endless shenanigans. You see any of the media for it yet?
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

I'm going to get it if a PC port is made... that is if it performs better than GTA IV's, which was god awful.
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Psychoul »

That would be awesome if it did come out for PC. But i doubt it. Its a console only game.... but who knows. they might make a port.

I also installed fallout 3 on the same day you made this post, played it and couldnt get into it.
And hahaha, coincidentally, i also played gta 4 right after wards. good stuff..
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Retlaw83 wrote:Betrayal at Krondor.

Haha I died so many times...
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

apparently I can't edit my OWN FUCKING POST in this forum so here's a double post that should have been an edit.

---which may remind me of what I couldn't place before - Fallout 2 puts you right in the action - no easy "starter quests" to help you figure out what to do, at least not until 15+ minutes into the game - and those plants outside the medicine man's hut? 50/50 chance of death right from the start.

Here's a temple - move.

Save your village - find the GECK - gtfo.

Oh look the world map with a place to go. Guess I'll start asking around there.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Manoil wrote:Ret, you should get Red Dead Redemption when it comes out. Sandbox, open-world multiplayer for 8-player posses and endless shenanigans. You see any of the media for it yet?
I don't own a PS3 or Xbox, though Redemption looks interesting.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Shame. Me, DML, Cazsim, Pooper, and the randoms I know on there are gonna be tearing it up.

ATTACKED BY BEARS
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Kickstand27 »

Retlaw83 wrote:
I was able to take the beginning quests from the previous Fallouts, even Tactics, seriously on multiple playthroughs. It's about consistency in story.
as i said, of course it was a departure ffrom the original titles. I am able to comprehend that it was released across consoles too and take it with a grain of salt.

I tried that too. It works fine until a stray bullet hits a BoS member and the game becomes uncompletable, or you enslave certain NPCs and have to revert back to an earlier save slot because their AI script calls crash the game when they can't respond to them correctly from Paradise Falls. There's other game ending shit like this, but I'm too tired to dwell on it.
youre making it sound as if you cant do anyting in the game without it crashing. I have easily spent a thousand hours on the game and aside from th eoccaisional VATS crash, i am good to go. of couse ideally it wouldnt crash at all, that goes without saying.
It's a buggy mess with no effort put into logical consistency. It can be fun in doses, but if I'm going to sandbox something I'm firing up GTA IV, an original Fallout, or Betrayal at Krondor.
original fallout isnt really sandbox though. not really.. havent played krondor and its way too easy in any of the GTA games to just drive around, jump out attack pedestrians and then outrun the cops-gets boring really fast to me :shrugs:
i would rather play F3 than any GTA anyday
ekkaman
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by ekkaman »

Kickstand27 wrote:
i would rather play F3 than any GTA anyday
Thats the stupidist thing i have ever read on this site. :lalala:
Our Host!