Fallout: New Vegas info from Xbox 360 World mag

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Fallout: New Vegas info from Xbox 360 World mag

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Game -> Preview ]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout: New Vegas">Game: Fallout: New Vegas</a>

<p>Thanks to tipster <strong>Nathan</strong>, DAC has a bullet-pointed summary of the important bits from a <strong><em>Fallout: New Vegas</em></strong> preview out of the UK XBox 360 World magazine. Some of you might already know about a lot of the stuff in the article, but for those who don't - read on:</p>
<ul>
<li>The tagline says: "A Safe Bet for RPG Fans"</li>
<li>Hardcore mode: Stimpaks take a long time to heal, you need a Doctor's Bag to heal broken limbs, and you suffer from Dehydration so you need to carry water.</li>
<li>Dynamite is one of the first weapons you come across</li>
<li>Obsidian have focused much more on the story than Bethesda did with Fallout 3</li>
<li>VATS now includes a special attack for every weapon</li>
<li>Weapons can be modded - one of the mods involves reducing the spooling time for miniguns.</li>
<li>All of your skills can be used to influence dialogue</li>
<li>A "Command/Companion Wheel" gives you control over your followers - the design of this isn't finalized yet</li>
<li>Nightkin are back and can cloak</li>
<li>The Hoover Dam is intact and produces electricity</li>
<li>Electricity seems to be one of the main things in the game</li>
<li>There are 3 factions - the NCR, Caesar's Legion, and (although unconfirmed) the Brotherhood of Steel</li>
<li>The Helios One solar tower controls an orbital laser platform</li>
<li>You can get a portable controller for the laser platform and use it throughout the game</li>
<li>Lots of "grey areas" in terms of actions and dialogue - a combined reputation and morality system means everything you do has an effect on something in one way or another.</li>
<li>New Vegas will have different endings, "instead of the single, potentially anachronistic 'man/woman saves the Wasteland' finale."</li>
<li>The overall theme of the game is about trying to find out who tried to kill you and why.</li>
<li>New weapon - The "All-American" - a rapid fire Sniper Rifle</li>
</ul>
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

Wait, if they're fosucing on the story, wouldnt hooover dam be a logical target during the war?It's not as bad a beuilding a town around a bomb but come on...
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

The Hoover Dam has been in concept as a legitimate location since Van Buren, so circa 2001 probably. I'm fine with it, makes more sense than having over half of Washington D.C. in one piece.
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

3 factions? teh fuck?
Cimmerian Nights wrote:Todd Howard: making RPGs for people who hate RPGs.
TheBearPaw
SDF!
SDF!

Re: Fallout: New Vegas info from Xbox 360 World mag

Post by TheBearPaw »

Obsidian have focused much more on the story than Bethesda did with Fallout 3

New Vegas will have different endings, "instead of the single, potentially anachronistic 'man/woman saves the Wasteland' finale."
If these prove to be true, F:NV is gonna be fantastic. That's Fallout!!
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

TwinkieGorilla wrote:3 factions? teh fuck?
NCR, BOS, and Caesar's Legion. I'm not sure if the magazine made up the figure or not. There may be more - remnants of the Enclave or something. Maybe the reavers!
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

King of Creation wrote: NCR, BOS, and Caesar's Legion.
yes, i see that. i'm just a little disappointed if this information is saying, definitively, that there are only 3 factions within the entire game.
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

It doesn't have to be the Brotherhood of Steel, that far out it may only be the Circle, so they'd be too underpowered (numberwise) to count as a faction. There are still a lot of choices, though. Maybe canonically shit went south with New Reno or Vault 8 or something getting into the NCR.

Maybe New Reno and New Vegas are in cahoots.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

TwinkieGorilla wrote:
King of Creation wrote: NCR, BOS, and Caesar's Legion.
yes, i see that. i'm just a little disappointed if this information is saying, definitively, that there are only 3 factions within the entire game.
You know, I haven't been bowled over by anything these guys have done under the banner of Obsidian. But I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt that they could craft a more nuanced and complicated system of factions than Bethesda's track record of munchkinnery from MW -> OB -> FO3.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
General Alexi
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by General Alexi »

doesnt the "all-american" defeat the purpose of the sniper rifle? Id much rather trade that for the Deeranator anyway.
TyphoidG
SDF!
SDF!

Post by TyphoidG »

This hardcore mode business turns me on....always wanted to die of dehydration...now i can

Thank you Obsidian
Thank you for making the dream a virtual reality
"Trolling,Trolling Never Changes"~Unknown E-peen
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

King of Creation wrote:reavers!
On the subject of Tactics, I think it would be a cute occurrence to come across pieces of Humanoid robots in junkyards/etc. Also, seeing BoS in T-51b wouldn't be too much of a ridiculous concept
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

General Alexi wrote:doesnt the "all-american" defeat the purpose of the sniper rifle?
What, to kill from a long distance? I don't think so.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:
General Alexi wrote:doesnt the "all-american" defeat the purpose of the sniper rifle?
What, to kill from a long distance? I don't think so.
I think he's refering to the whole 'not-aiming-before-firing-and-firing-then-some-more' doctrine.
General Alexi
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by General Alexi »

And if im playing hardcore, id much rather not waste rounds with an automatic sniper rifle, unless they mean semi automatic?
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Kickstand27 »

see semi atuto makes much more sense..

though most snipers are indeed bolt action, no?
typos are bound to happen. fuck it
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

General Alexi wrote:And if im playing hardcore, id much rather not waste rounds with an automatic sniper rifle, unless they mean semi automatic?
Don't want to seem like an asshole here, but you call a firearm 'automatic' when it fires a round, removes the empty cartridge and reloads a new one with just the squeeze of a trigger. In that sense Colt 1911 is 'automatic'. Bolt action rifles, on the other hand, are not, since they require manual labor for the 2/3 of the actions. These terms are used loosely - but there certainly is a difference whether you're talking of 'automatic', 'semi-automatic' or 'fully-automatic' weapons. For the sake of simplicity, let's just call the latter two sub-categories of generally 'automatic' firearms.
General Alexi
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by General Alexi »

Kickstand27 wrote:see semi atuto makes much more sense..

though most snipers are indeed bolt action, no?
Id say its pretty even between the two. The ones that teenagers know about because of COD, Mag, and Battlefield, are mostly Semi-automatic. But if you were to ask them what there military actually used as a Sniper Rifle, they probably wouldn't be able to tell you.
General Alexi
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by General Alexi »

I take that back, most are bolt.
Mylar
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mylar »

Yonmanc wrote:Wait, if they're fosucing on the story, wouldnt hooover dam be a logical target during the war?It's not as bad a beuilding a town around a bomb but come on...
Having taken a tour of the Hoover Dam, one of the many things they'll inform you about is that the dam is overengineered to the tune of about 75% above the durability needed for the function it serves.

What that means is that it'll still most likely be standing in 2000 years, and could withstand a direct strike from an ICBM. Which means that the first Superman film is even MORE flawed than we thought.

The dam's purpose, by the by, is not to generate electricity, as that's just a by-product. It's purpose is to control flooding in the southwest, which used to suffer disastrous flooding before the dam went up.

Incidentally, what's kind of sad about taking the tour is all of the things they point out, like the crushed marble flooring, that wouldn't be feasible today; nicer materials were all you had back then, so you got this amazing structure that's economically impossible to duplicate.
Our Host!