Scans from German PC Games "Fallout: New Vegas" article

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Scans from German PC Games "Fallout: New Vegas" article

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Game -> Preview ]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout: New Vegas">Game: Fallout: New Vegas</a>

<p>Here are links to scans from the <em><strong>Fallout: New Vegas</strong></em> 10-page writeup from PC Games. It's in German, obviously, but there are some very interesting looking things, including a whole page dedicated to weapon modification. This appears to be the best and most comprehensive Fallout: New Vegas preview out there right now, so if anyone speaks German and wants to translate the article for us, that would be super-awesome:</p>
<blockquote><em><strong>Links removed per magazine's request. You can still find the new information bullet-pointed <a href="../../forums/viewtopic.php?t=23769">here</a>.
</strong></em></blockquote>
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I could give it a try with... translating the original text with my B-grade German into a B-grade English version. I'll see if I can get to it later tonight. But I guess someone who speaks German natively (like Thor Kaufmann?) could do a much better job. My translation would be just a tad bit better than what Google Translate comes up with.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

I'll see if I can persuade my girlfriend to do it, but I'm sure that by that time, someone over at NMA or Codex will already have done so.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

It begins with

OBSIDIAN OPENS A NEW CHAPTER IN FALLOUT-UNIVERSE AND SENDS YOU TO THE SIN CITY

Viva Las Vegas - so sang Elvis Presley once... and so on on the first page. But then the phrases and words get too peculiar for my grammar and vocabulary that I'm having a lot of trouble, really.

But seriously, though, you could really just throw the text to Google Translator and get a rough understanding of what's going on.

---

I browsed through the pages quickly and it seems the SPECIAL set up in FO3 (you know, reading the childrens' book) is replaced by some Bioshock-esque 'vending machine' of sorts. See it on the second last page.
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

But seriously, though, you could really just throw the text to Google Translator and get a rough understanding of what's going on.
Nobody would bother transcribing the whole thing first, tho.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Cute that the weapon modding aspect was entirely added in because of the popularity of the FO3 mod using the same effect.
http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3388
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

Not necessarily, given that it worked the same in Fallout 2.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Ausir wrote:Nobody would bother transcribing the whole thing first, tho.
There's software that can extract text from scans like these.

It's usual professional-grade, tho', I don't think that software is available for free. But someone might have it.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

Yeah, I know, but I don't think anyone would bother OCRing it either.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Had to take away the links, but I imagine they are still floating around somewhere.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

The interesting thing about the removal request this time was that the guy from PC Games was totally cool about it, but he said that Bethesda gets really angry and threatens to take away PR connections if the magazine doesn't go after the scans.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

King of Creation wrote:The interesting thing about the removal request this time was that the guy from PC Games was totally cool about it, but he said that Bethesda gets really angry and threatens to take away PR connections if the magazine doesn't go after the scans.
Well of course! Who the hell would want free target marketing!? :drunk:

Bethesda are idiots.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Might have translated some tidbits, send me ze links per PM next time praps B)
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

First two paragraphs: boring trivia about the real Vegas, they like to eat shrimps. Second also mentions that New Vegas hasn't been hit by atomic bombs and that's why all people love to live there and gamble their bottle caps away.
Third paragraph: NV goes back to the roots of its predecessors FO1&2. Seems like that magazine has the same knack for humour as the rest of the gaming journalism community. They also claim that Fallout's main theme was birth and awakening. I assume they mean all the child killing.
Last two paragraphs: New Vegas is the new wild west so expect black sheriffs AND SPOILER: CHOSEN ONE DIES :flamed:

upper picture: author says that NV looks like shit
lower picture: Rorschach makes a test with you, he's highfiving someone in the picture he shows you and you have to decide if you like bearded men. That way he can find out about your sexual orientation.
Text: lol j/k you don't really die what a twist, you survive a headshot and with your last remaining braincell you start to play NV and hallucinate roboters and become a cyborg, you can choose your stats and age.
box on the right: RUMOURS?
- you cant choose traits
- chinese people are ghouls, you probably wont be able to play as Rex, maybe you can larp being a waiter, though :chew:
- maybe there will be vehicles because the world is huge albeit no vehicles in the game
- There will be slavers and maybe some kind of colosseum/cage fighting for the chosen one
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

box with weapon pictures: you can mod your weapons now, add scopes etc.
Apparently you could also mod your weapons in Fallout 1. The more you know.
bottom left text box: Depending on your reputation factions might react differently to you.
bottom right picture: you can recruit a chinese if you rescue him
text: Rorschach will ask you about your mommy and puppies. This will affect your stats, not

upper picture: Fallout 3 has great graphics so NV will get the same engine. NV's graphics are not as good as Fallout 3's, yet, though.
bottom picture: That's a laser, you can use it or give the wasteland solar energy

text: you can be hardcore in NV B)
Ammo has weight, stimpaks heal over time, you need a doctor for broken limbs and you can die of thirst
Your first stop is Goodsprings, you can also visit McCarran airport, Hoover dam and maybe Area 51

Image This is not the next page
upper picture: You can give commands to your followers with a horoscope
bottom picture: :psychosniper:
text: there is a gang called Powder Gangers. :susan: You can help Ringo or the pink ranger and this is getting too :punchballs: for me now :cbt:
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Thanks, Thor. You the man.
Amis
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Amis »

Viva Las Vegas - das sang Elvis Presley einst.
Our Host!