Chris Avellone on Fallout 3 likes and dislikes

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Are you sure you're not getting BoS and Tactics confused?

BoS was a top-down scroller with no weapons, armor or other anything else common with Fallout - for an action game, you'd think they would have gotten that spot-on. On top of that, it was a really bad example of a top-down scroller.

What's weird about that is they decided to take this game and slap the name Fallout on it halfway through development, but would it have really been that hard to redo the meshes for armor and weapons and change some descriptions?

While they didn't tell us we'd love it, they did say they needed to make games like this to secure enough capital to produce Fallout 3.

The end credits also give special thanks to DAC and NMA, but I have a feeling that's more of an insult.

What I found weird about BoS was the dialog from NPCs was actually pretty good and the plot elements served a Fallout action game. However, the player dialog all had curse words in it, and nothing in the game world was thematically or artistically tied into Fallout. It would have been much more palatable had I been going around in combat armor with an AK-112 instead of something that looked like environmental armor from Tactics while blazing at things with dual Uzis.

I still think a Fallout-based pure action game could be done well. BoS was not that game.

I almost wrote a review for DAC but it was full of so much vitriol and made me so sad that I decided to say fuck it.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

BoS reminded me of Champions of Norrath, without the whole Eversmack setting...
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Psychoul »

Yonmanc wrote:"Anyone armed with a flamer can kick my melee-specialized ass, and thus, can kiss my ass"

Followed by

"I played with a 4 ST character and regretted it"

Yes, as would a blind man deciding to be a sniper. Well done.
Im sure that that makes perfect sense.... he is telling the people who can beat his weak ass melee guy to kiss his ass NOT kick it. Just my observation. I think i need to replay fallout 3 now... Which reminds me , for some reason, i was bugged after the end of the game where i am supposed to wake up to lyons but i cant, and i am bugged. bugged bugged.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Happens when you add slap-in the DLC without the game being patched to 1.5 or if you're using a custom race.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
drhanz
SDF!
SDF!

Post by drhanz »

bravo dac! After reading the article I thought to myself: Traitor! Traitor!

I was expecting something similar with you all and was not disappointed.

Traitor! Traitor!
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

Psychoul wrote:
Yonmanc wrote:"Anyone armed with a flamer can kick my melee-specialized ass, and thus, can kiss my ass"

Followed by

"I played with a 4 ST character and regretted it"

Yes, as would a blind man deciding to be a sniper. Well done.
Im sure that that makes perfect sense.... he is telling the people who can beat his weak ass melee guy to kiss his ass NOT kick it. Just my observation. I think i need to replay fallout 3 now... Which reminds me , for some reason, i was bugged after the end of the game where i am supposed to wake up to lyons but i cant, and i am bugged. bugged bugged.
I meant that he decided to play a melee character with such a low strength.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Oh, i meant BOS. Honestly the top down action games lately seem like shit. I haven't played it. I assumed it was bad...but not FO3 bad with the false promises and such. I'm sorry, fallout 3 looks like shit to me. Riddick looks better, was done earlier, and is better. Several other games from years ago (EVE included) look better. And i guess the clincher would be the lies, deceit, and filth spewed forth from bethsoft about it. So yeah, I'd be willing to bet that BOS wasn't elevating itself and telling us it was a roleplaying game or any of that shit...though knowing herve I could be totally wrong. I don't remember. I was very, very drunk.
...signatures? WTF?
Our Host!