Online gaming

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Online gaming

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

So, I've decided that I want to start playing something online and also get my girlfriend involved. I'm probably looking for some kind of online RPG or MMO that can be played casually and is not too skill-orientated.

WoW is shit, I refuse to play that again. Current content is just really boring.

What about Fallen Earth? I've read mixed things about it, has anyone here actually played it to any extent?

Any other suggestions? I'd rather not get an FPS like L4D2 or Borderlands.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I play Eve Online, but if ruining other people's day is your fancy, looking for fights, fights themselves and similar related activities can chew up an hour or two pretty quickly.

I've heard nothing good about Fallen Earth, and the vast majority of MMO's tend to be WoW clones anyway.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

How long have you been in Eve, Stainless? I just started a few weeks back.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Eve can prove fairly entertaining.
...signatures? WTF?
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Wasn't EVE dumbed down relative to several years ago?

I'd love to grief with mines.

When I played for a couple of months it was kind of boring.
Takes so long to get good, collect wealth, etc.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

I looking for a more PvE focused game, I'm not a fan of PvP.
I don't mind WoW clones, WoW used to be great until they cocked it up, but the underlying sytem works.

Anyway, I've got hold of a 10day trial for Fallen Earth, I'll let you guys know what it is like.

What about Warhammer, has anyone here played that? And what about the other MMO that came out not too long ago? And to add swell guy, has anyone tried LOTRO?
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

LOTRO is supposed to be good. I played Warhammer at launch and was sorely let down, but, of course, it was a lackluster launch as they all are, and is supposed to have improved since then.

Try LOTRO. My buddy played it and enjoyed it.

jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

I like how everyone hates on WoW, and yet it is still played by the population of a large city. It's competitive in every feature that other games have, and encompasses gameplay that most other developing MMO's fear to attempt.

The existing content may seem to be getting a bit long in the tooth, but that's because it's a game that's been out for five years, and they add whole new sections of the game pretty much every patch.

Personally, i can't find a better MMORPG. Blizzard always had a finger on the pulse of their consumers, it shows. I learn something new everyday i play it.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

I hope that's sarcasm.

PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

with any MMO you need to expect some level of crapiness, it seems. It so happens that I recently decided to see what MMORPGs are myself. I chose DnD Online becasue it's free and good looking for a free one. Guild Wars is also free and graphics are perhaps more advanced but the graphic style of character models puts me off personally. I've only started with the DnD and I must say it's been kinda bland so far but it might get better later? Essentially, I think the game itself is not as much important as the social situation it creates. If you're playing with a group of friends/nice people, it can be sort of fun even if the game is not very exciting. Playing with random idiots is another story..

One thing you could try is co-op Arcanum. The original co-op is supposedly not very good but if you google for MultiArcanum you should find a site where they made their own multiplayer mod that allows for doing singleplayer campaign in co-op. I don't know how many players it supports though.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Star Trek. /thread
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

So I've been playing FE a bit and it sucks pretty bad. I haven't really given it a chance thus far, but I can already see the things that would start pissing me off. Do not recommend.

Don't tell me it is going to be LOTRO :E
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

PiP wrote:I chose DnD Online becasue it's free and good looking for a free one. Guild Wars is also free and graphics are perhaps more advanced but the graphic style of character models puts me off personally. I've only started with the DnD and I must say it's been kinda bland so far but it might get better later?
Content is a bit limited and it is set up to be almost completely grief-proof.

So I think I quit after the free trial was over.
(This was before it became free.)
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

jetbaby wrote:How long have you been in Eve, Stainless? I just started a few weeks back.
Just under 2 years now. Has it's ups and downs where I cbfed playing it, but train skills the in the background.

Yes, it got dumbed down in regards to character creation; not being able to chose your stats and see what skills you started with were terrible ideas.

my IGN is BlackHelmetMan, give me a yell I'll send some cash your way, etc.
ekkaman
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by ekkaman »

jimmypneumatic wrote:I like how everyone hates on WoW, and yet it is still played by the population of a large city.
Backstreet boys sold enough albums to fill an even larger city both should be on a very short list of places to nuke the fuck out of.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

WoW has a terrible PvP system, as someone who gets off on being a dick (god I love eve sometimes), there are better games out there. That said, WoW has everything designed to waste your time, from the layouts of the cities to the little progress bars on everything. Flightpaths?

Guild Wars was pretty awesome back in the day, from a pvp standpoint it was crazily viable, but if you missed a week or two of the game, you'd fall behind in the metagame and realise that your past strategies were getting countered.
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

ekkaman wrote: Backstreet boys sold enough albums to fill an even larger city both should be on a very short list of places to nuke the fuck out of.
And the millions of innocents that were slaughtered in the holocaust, that'd be a pretty big city. Is that on your list too? Let's drop the analogies please and get to the real debate over why you hate WoW.
Stainless wrote:WoW has a terrible PvP system, as someone who gets off on being a dick (god I love eve sometimes), there are better games out there. That said, WoW has everything designed to waste your time, from the layouts of the cities to the little progress bars on everything. Flightpaths?

Guild Wars was pretty awesome back in the day, from a pvp standpoint it was crazily viable, but if you missed a week or two of the game, you'd fall behind in the metagame and realise that your past strategies were getting countered.
No, SWG had a bad pvp system, if you rolled bounty hunter you could go group with 10 of your best buddies and grief the living snot out of any jedi unfortunate enough to pop up on the terminals. They'd lose large chunks of experience while you made bookoo bucks. Talk about being a dick.

Every MMO has downtime though. It's part of the immersion factor, and it's also more realistic. When you get that upgrade, specialization or new skill the downtime is reduced, it should be part of any game.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Stainless wrote:Flightpaths?
Quite frankly, I like flightpaths. Yes, they are fucking annoying to sit through, I remember those times when it took like 15min to fly from Darnassus to Ratchet to do CoT.

However, they do make the world seem big. I used to play Morrowind a lot back in the day and when Oblivion first came out and I played it, the largest fucking turnoff I had on hour 2 was the instant travel system.
Morrowind was great, the entire continent was covered by Silt Striders and boats, so when you wanted to get from the south to the north, you ended up taking something like 3 silt striders and 4 boats depending on where you were situated. In the end, it amounts to the same thing, your screen goes black and you appear in the next location (except that in Morrowind, you had to make 10 mouse clicks as opposed to 2), however it made the world feel like it had substantial size. In Oblivion, the instant travel not just between cities but to fucking EVERYWHERE just did not let you appreciate the size of the actual world.
Morrowind was awesome, travel was sufficiently varied and not tedious, especially since you were always leveling your Athletics and Acrobatics. Made it feel rewarding when you reached your destination. Oblivion made you feel like you stepped from one room to another.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Redeye, weren't you playing Fallout Online some time ago? Something in the range of lolling about while throwing dynamite at people?
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

jetbaby wrote:LOTRO is supposed to be good. I played Warhammer at launch and was sorely let down, but, of course, it was a lackluster launch as they all are, and is supposed to have improved since then.

Try LOTRO. My buddy played it and enjoyed it.
if anything attempts to be as balanced as WoW *tries* to be, it would be LOTRO - plus they have a lifetime payment option rather than a subscription.

I was seriously considering it until I started WoW - when I get bored of it like many people do, I'll probably hop over to LOTRO if it's still around.

also - if anything has close to the realized history that Warcraft does, it's either Middle Earth or Warhammer - problem with WH is that I've heard the middle game is ridiculously boring.
Our Host!