Stealth Boy

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Grand Lord Penguin
Respected
Respected
Location: The secret underground lair- er, dojo of the Penguin style Kung-Fu

Post by Grand Lord Penguin »

Actually, Warlord, you're wrong. Motion Sensors were in FO1. So BLAH.

And sneak isn't useless. It's actually quite fun (sneak behind someone, use steal to plant a prime explosive on them and BAM, instant fun).
Black Mage: She better have an antidote for FACE STABBIN'! 'Cause, ooh, her face is so stabbed when we get back!
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

Grand Lord Penguin wrote:Actually, Warlord, you're wrong. Motion Sensors were in FO1. So BLAH.
Really? Where? Havent' seen any...
- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

There's one in nma-fallout.com item list so I guess there has to be. :wink:
boywoos
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by boywoos »

Yeah there is one in FO2 you can get it from Stark in VC for scouting to the NCR.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I think we're talking about Fallout 1 here.

To be honest, I have no idea where the motion sensor could be. Where did you get one, Grand lord penguin?
Darwin_187
Respected
Respected

Post by Darwin_187 »

In my experience, using sneak and a stealthboy dramatically lowers the chance for the enemy to hit you in combat (assuming that you had them on before, and that you started combat). Again, not certain, but I do remember seeing this happen a few times.

Also; the stealthboy fucking rules. I wish they'd put one in FO2. Damnit.
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

SB was in fo2... just couldnt use it.
"And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
one more soldier reporting, Sir.
I've served my time in hell."
Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of War.
Nirvana
Regular
Regular

Post by Nirvana »

U can buy the motion sensor from that guns dealer in old town ...
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

Motion Sensors:
The Glow has one, 5th floor I think

The Hub has one - the marketplace guy (inbetween the 'fiendly' lending company and the crimson carivan).

They arent too useful - especially if you already know where all the baddies are. And they weigh 7 lbs! That translates to "heavy" folks - weight that could be taken up by rockets or bullets or MFC's.

Stealth Boy's:
The Glow has one on the 5th floor.

Nightkin in the cathedral have them (ones upstairs anyway).

As said before - the Brotherhood have them (but you have to kill the brotherhood to get to them - ive done it before... minigun with AP ammo and 2 ranks of bonus ranged damage, plus turbo plasma rifle for stragglers).

The stealth boy's dont do much for you - but they only weigh 3 lbs and they're worth about 2500 or something... very hot ticket item for sales, efficient cost/weight ratio.
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

There are at least two motion sensors in The Glow on 1st or 2nd floor and on the fifth floor. I never used the motion sensor while it is a good idea, it just isn't worth having it take up an active slot and playing the second time through when you already know where everyone/everything is.... :P
K~G~T
SDF!
SDF!

Post by K~G~T »

In combat, the stealth boy is useless.

The whole point of the stealth boy is to make you a bit harder to see, therefore it gives a + 20 skillpoints to stealth when used, kinda like using the lockpick. It's OK early on in the game, but in the latter parts of it the stealth boy becomes a tad bit more useless.

As for the Motion Sensor, you don't have to have it equipped, atleast as far as I can remember. All you have to do is use the Map and choose "scanner".
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Yes, but you don't have a stealth boy in early part of the game.
K~G~T
SDF!
SDF!

Post by K~G~T »

Well, there is the special encounter with the giant footprint in the ground, right...? The piece of goo in the middle is a dead person with a stealthboy. I once got that encounter two tiles from Vault 13 when I started the game...
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

For the motion sensor: If you go to map and press scanner, it will tell you that the option is not installed or something like that so it needs to be in a active slot. However you can use it in your inventory and it will work. :)
K~G~T wrote:I once got that encounter two tiles from Vault 13 when I started the game
I got the alien blaster once in that same spot, that led me into developing my energy weapons as quick as possible. :)
Haplo

Post by Haplo »

If you run around near shady sands for a little bit, you'll run into a merchant with a whole bunch of guards, whom you can kill and get 8 or so hunting rifles and a ton of ammo, not to mention what you get from the merchant...great way to start the game, if you don't worry much about the time limit...

And if you run into a family (Man, Woman, Kid, and loser looking guy)near Klamath is F2, steal from the man to get a beginers SMG VERY early in the game...
Our Host!