The Colony

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

The Colony

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Film & TV -> Article ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#The Colony">Film & TV: The Colony</a>

<p>The Discovery Channel is currently airing a post apocalyptic "reality" program called <em>The Colony</em>. I use the term "reality" loosely, because while it may be an unscripted show, there obviously has been no global apocalypse yet. Here's the skinny from <a target="_self" href="http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/abou ... .html">the network</a>:</p><blockquote><p><em><em>The Colony</em> is a controlled experiment to see exactly what
it would take to survive and rebuild under these circumstances. For 10
weeks, a group of 10 volunteers, whose backgrounds and expertise
represent a cross-section of modern society, are isolated in an urban
environment outside Los Angeles and tasked with creating a livable
society.</em></p><p><em>With no electricity from the grid, no running water and no
communication with the outside world, all the volunteers have to work
with are their skills and whatever tools and supplies they can scavenge
from their surroundings.</em></p><p><em>Experts from the fields of homeland security, engineering and psychology have helped design the world of <em>The Colony</em> to reflect elements from both real-life disasters and models of what the future could look like after a global viral outbreak.</em></p><p><em>Over the course of the 10-week experiment, the Colonists must work
together to build the necessities of survival, such as a
water-filtration system, a battery bank that powered their electricity,
a solar cooker, a shower system and a greenhouse &ndash; and even some
niceties (a coffee maker!).</em></p><p><em><strong>Tune in Tuesdays at 10 p.m. ET/PT</strong> to see who thrives and who fails to survive.</em></p></blockquote>
<p>I'll have to try and get some episodes of this. It's an interesting take on a worn-out TV format. Check out <a target="_self" href="http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/abou ... .html">the official website</a> for more information, as well as <a href="http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2009/07/2 ... he-colony/" target="_self">this review from Time</a>.
</p><p>Thanks very much to <strong>MR Snake</strong> for pointing it out.
</p><p> </p>
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

The show really is good, to some point where I think it is scripted instead of made from the go. A very good show in my opinion.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

I watched Episode 1 on XBL since I don't have cable in the new place yet. The only thing is, no one is *really* scared since they all know it's not a real apocalypse, and there are cameras everywhere.

If the apocalypse *did* happen, expect rape, pillaging, murder, and a distinct drop in the price of SUVs.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

DML makes a good point. This thread is not only recessive but now one month too late.

= OLD
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Sorry! I'm just getting back up to speed on what I missed, and his was in the Submit News forum.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Dutch wrote:
Sorry! I'm just getting back up to speed on what I missed, and his was in the Submit News forum.
nah its cool. I was kidding. Anyways, here's an awesome clip from the last episode- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hQC3nkftrk
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

no shit.. I did not see that dogmeatlives.. my bad.

Anyway. As the show progresses, they show fear, the first episode really can not count for the psychological terror they will face later with food shortages, loosing members and raids.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Yeah its a sick show. The thing is you have to buy into it to really enjoy it. If you sit there like "thats not real, neither is that! why are they freaking out?!" you're not gonna enjoy it. Suspend your disbelief for a bit, and its pretty enjoyable.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Dogmeatlives wrote:Yeah its a sick show. The thing is you have to buy into it to really enjoy it. If you sit there like "thats not real, neither is that! why are they freaking out?!" you're not gonna enjoy it. Suspend your disbelief for a bit, and its pretty enjoyable.
When you spend 10 weeks in the experiment knowing that you are all alone besides for the cameras (or if something fatal happens) it gets very real. They don't even know the marauders cannot hurt them, as far as they know they can and will hurt them.
brucemendes
SDF!
SDF!

Post by brucemendes »

Hay King of Creation.
Myself Brucemendes I read your entire posting and I like your comment on this subject
this movie till date I can't seen but don't worry near future I will see it then
I decide your post is really related to the point or not so ,post new any thing like
it .
Thanks.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

This guy is hilarious.

Friend of Glennwaugh's? :?
Amis
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Amis »