Trigger Help

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Howlround
SDF!
SDF!

Trigger Help

Post by Howlround »

I think I'm missing something because when I go to edit triggers nothing happens. I can enter in the description, and that's it. Maybe I just don't understand it, but from the readme file it sounds like there should be some options for me to select from or something like that.. Thanks for the help.
Chaos
Respected
Respected
Location: Somewhere, don't really know I got lost on the way to Vault 13.

Post by Chaos »

ok you know the thingy next to the description box and it says new
click that and then you can do whatever you please
Soldier of the wastes. :gun:
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Chaos is right - there should be a column of various buttons along the right-hand side of the window. There's New, Delete, Move Up, Save, etc.

After you click on New, another window pops up where you actually select and fiddle with the various conditions. After you set up your conditions, you click on Actions (below the description box), and do the same as you did with conditions.

Hope that helps!
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Howlround
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Howlround »

Doh! :) I got it to work right after I posted. Thanks for the quick help though. I have one more question. I'm trying to have it so you talk to an NPC and then they join your team. I've got it setup I just don't know how to setup the speech event. I've got the speech file all setup but it doesn't give me an option in the pull down menu. do I need the file in a special folder? thanks again for the help.

Howlround
Howlround
SDF!
SDF!

nevermind I figured it out. thanks for the help. NT

Post by Howlround »

NT
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Howlround wrote:I've got it setup I just don't know how to setup the speech event. I've got the speech file all setup but it doesn't give me an option in the pull down menu. do I need the file in a special folder?
What you need to do is to go to the "Level" tab in the Level Editor. In the lower, left-hand corner you will see a half-dozen or so buttons. Do the following:
  1. Click on "Speech File..." From there a dialogue box will open and you will have to browse to the text file that you've set up to act as a speech file for your mission. Double Click on file you want, don't single click and then hit "OK" or you will get an error message. (This won't crash the editor or anything, it will simply not select the file.)
  2. Click on "Speech..." You will now have to set up speech nodes. Click on "New", name the node, then use the fields to the right to assign the line(s) to the node. (Incidentally, if you're as speech happy as I am, this can be the single most tedious facet of slapping a mission together...) If you intend to use the node for a "Speech Occured" condition in your triggers you will have to assign an "Event" name to the node*. Enter something useful here only if you intend to use the node/line for such a purpose, otherwise it's a waste of your time.
  3. Set up a trigger with a Condition that either includes or consists of "Speech Occured" and the "Event" that you assigned to the desired node and then have the Action(s) include switching that NPC's Player Index to "1".
That's it.

OTB

*Tip: If you want something to occur randomly, assigning an "Event" to a single line of a random node can serve as a condition.
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Generally you want to place the speech file in this directory:

Fallout Tactics/core/locale/missions/{your mission name}/Mission.txt

Then when you go to zip up your mission pack, it will go in the correct location.
Howlround
SDF!
SDF!

Almost got it

Post by Howlround »

I almost got it. I got the triggers setup so after I talk to them they join my team. I've got the speech files in the right place. the only problem know is tha they don't join my team. I click on them they say there stuff and that's it. Thanks for the help.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I bet the problem is with the speech setup. Go to the speech editor and where you selected the speech node that you want to use for the trigger there should be an empty field right below it. That is where you should enter the name to use for the trigger. Then use the trigger condition speech node "xxxxx" occurred.

Otherwise copy down the word for word description of the trigger and we'll take a look at it.
Howlround
SDF!
SDF!

here's what the trigger says

Post by Howlround »

Condition: speech event stat01 occurded

Action: change player stat's team to bos

on the character I have "enable script events" checked.
I don't know if that's needed or not.

as far as the speech stuff goes, in the editor do I put the event in the defualt event or under one of the random ones? I also have it so you click on the caracter and that's how they talk would it work better to have it get triggered by being in the same room as them? Thanks for all the help

Howlround
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Howlround wrote: on the character I have "enable script events" checked.
I don't know if that's needed or not.
Nope, sure isn't. I shall quote from the sacredReadMe:

Enable Scripted Events sends a message to the trigger handler any time this actor performs an action using a skill. More details in the trigger section.

So this has nothing to do with what you're doing. I'd remove the tick/check mark if I were you, since you're just giving the engine things to do that it doesn't need to.
Howlround wrote: [A]s far as the speech stuff goes, in the editor do I put the event in the default event or under one of the random ones?
Put it under the default event. No need to get fancy yet. Later, you may want to experiment w/random lines that have "events" assigned to them, but for now, just stick to the default.
Howlround wrote: I also have it so you click on the c[h]aracter and that's how they talk would it work better to have it get triggered by being in the same room as them?
It's probably best to keep the Click Speech approach. If nothing else, you're giving your player a choice as to when the NPC joins them.

You may also want to have World Text appear when the NPC joins the PCs. Consult mission19.mis (Newton) for an example of how it's done.

OTB
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

OTB verbosed:
Put it under the default event. No need to get fancy yet. Later, you may want to experiment w/random lines that have "events" assigned to them, but for now, just stick to the default.
Ah yes, my mistake. I don't think it really matters but to be on the safe side.....
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:OTB verbosed:...
What can I say? "Verbose" is my default setting. :mrgreen:

OTB
Howlround
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Howlround »

I took the event out of the random field and now nothing happens at all.
Before they would talk they just wouldn't join my team. now nothing happens. Is there a tutorial some where that would take me through the whole process step by step? That would be helpful. Thanks for any help.

Howlround
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Howlround wrote:I took the event out of the random field and now nothing happens at all.
Did you add something under the field "Default Event:"? You have to have a title there, then go back and make sure that up update the trigger that causes the NPC to join the player's squad.
Howround wrote:Is there a tutorial some where that would take me through the whole process step by step?
Unfortunately, AFAIK, no one has taken the time to write up a tutorial on Speech. The sacredReadMe is also not very helpful on this subject. If you run into problems, there's us, and there's the core missions. If monkey-see-monkey-do doesn't do the trick, we'll do what we can.

OTB
Howlround
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Howlround »

Thanks for the help I guess I'll have to duoble check it and see what's up with it. I put a name in the defualt event and updated the triggers I must be missing something though. I'll just go redo them. thanks again.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

If all else fails, post a screen shot of the entry in the speech editor or even send one of us the mis file.

jimmyjay86@hotmail.com
Howlround
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Howlround »

Ok I started over with my triggers I got everything setup right. I put a name in the Defualt event field and nothing happens. If I putm one the random field they caracter will talk but not join my team. this doesn't make any sense to me. thanks for the help guys.

Howlround
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Here is the step-by-step guide to get the NPC to join your team. Check it with what you have:

1. In the speech editor, click the "Add" button. The name of the speech goes under the "Remove" button. In the Random 1 field choose the node to assign to this speech. And under that enter an event name like "NPCspoke1".

2. For the trigger condition use "Speech Occured". Here you choose the speech event from above - "NPCspoke1".

3. For the trigger action use "Change Player". Pick the tag name you used for the entity from the list for the Unit. Then you want to change him to Player 1.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Be aware that when the NPC goes to a PC, the new PC won't be able to set his/her accuracy thresholds or sentry modes until the game (as in the actual game, not the editor) has been saved then loaded.

Feel free to look at my Deathclaw Desert series of maps to figure out what I mean. DD chapters 1, 2, and 3 have instances of a NPC changing to a PC. While yer there, check out the map in the editor and look at my triggers to see exactly how I went about changing a NPC to a PC. I comment/document my triggers pretty well (for this exact reason), so you should be able to get a firm handle on the concept and run with it :)

Also note that when/if the NPC changes to a PC and then back to a NPC, the actor won't be able to use waypoints or (IIRC) floating speech. Windowed speech, however, is all good. Even when the actor is a PC! :twisted:

Oh, and while you're looking/playing my maps... gimme some feedback, ya? :)
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Our Host!