Bethesda set to sue Interplay

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Bethesda set to sue Interplay

Post by Wolfman Walt »

<strong>[ Company -> Article ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Bethesda Softworks">Company: Bethesda Softworks</a> | More info on <a href="#Interplay">Company: Interplay</a> | More info on <a href="#Fallout: Online">Game: Fallout: Online</a>

According to Kotaku, Bethesda has intent to begin a lawsuit with Interplay over Fallout Online as sourced from Interplay legal documents. According to the article, Bethesda set stipulations for allowing Interplay to use the license which apperently Interplay didn't cooperate with too awful well.

Of these stipulations, it seems the major one is that Interplay had to have began "full-scale" work on the title by April 4th, 2009 as well as Interplay apperently not securing finicial . Should this reach court and Interplay loses, they will lose rights to the Fallout MMO and Fallout will forever remain Bethesda's sole property.

I'm not so sure who I should cheer for in this one.

You can read more at Kotaku: <a title="here" href="http://kotaku.com/5214020/bethesda-to-s ... allout-mmo" target="_self">here</a>, including the court papers if you feel the need to add some legalese to spice up your vocabulary.<p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/death/vide ... aku</a></p>
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

On one hand, Interplay needs to die already. On the other, it's kind of depressing it's Bethesda dealing the killing blow.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
Dicksmoker
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Dicksmoker »

Actually it's quite fitting.

Like the barbarian hordes raping what's left of the Roman Empire.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Aonaran wrote:On the other, it's kind of depressing it's Bethesda dealing the killing blow.
I've always pictured fallout fans in a circle smacking the living shit out of Interplay, kinda like in the ending of death proof. Now even that pleasure is stolen by Bethesda. Except that IPLY won't die.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I have a feeling that Bethesda was planning this all along.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

While definitely not happy that it's Bethesda and a more-than-sneaking-suspicion that Bethesda smells the green blood of the Fallout franchise, Interplay needs to pass on.

It's like the Big 3 automakers and many of the banks in the USA - good capitalism/free market economy lets the fat bloated pigs die, and the new hungry guy make his comeuppance (spl?) on the corpses of those who were no longer viable as a company.

So...when is NMA going to go the way of the Buffalo as well - now *that* would be Newsworthy....
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Bethesda is putting down Interplay, the way they put down Old Yeller. Buckshot to the face.
Cow Cud is a twin.
Corith
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Corith »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:I have a feeling that Bethesda was planning this all along.
Of course they were! Why else would they give that incompetent frog any money? He's bankrupted EVERY company he's run; swindled and squandered funds; broken nearly every contract; produced sub-standard products that DIDN'T sell. Why throw 6 million at such a looser?

The answer is in the contract itself. All those rules and requirements, but the real key is the clause that he must uphold the standards and good name of Bethesda. Regardless of what you think of Bethesda, why put that into a contract? Why put the result of failure being the revoking of the rights for a Fallout MMO?

No, they knew Herve could not find a stupid sucker to fund his FOOL project with his track record. They knew Herve would lie, cheat, swindle (look at what happened with GluttonCreeper??), any and everybody; his shady dealings with shadow investment brokerages that don't exist except on paper.

Bethesda played Herve for the fool he is. They gave him that 6 million, a good 1/3rd what he was looking for in April 04, on the full expectations his corrupt ego would void the contract.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Corith wrote:
POOPERSCOOPER wrote:I have a feeling that Bethesda was planning this all along.
Of course they were! Why else would they give that incompetent frog any money? He's bankrupted EVERY company he's run; swindled and squandered funds; broken nearly every contract; produced sub-standard products that DIDN'T sell. Why throw 6 million at such a looser?

The answer is in the contract itself. All those rules and requirements, but the real key is the clause that he must uphold the standards and good name of Bethesda. Regardless of what you think of Bethesda, why put that into a contract? Why put the result of failure being the revoking of the rights for a Fallout MMO?

No, they knew Herve could not find a stupid sucker to fund his FOOL project with his track record. They knew Herve would lie, cheat, swindle (look at what happened with GluttonCreeper??), any and everybody; his shady dealings with shadow investment brokerages that don't exist except on paper.

Bethesda played Herve for the fool he is. They gave him that 6 million, a good 1/3rd what he was looking for in April 04, on the full expectations his corrupt ego would void the contract.
What he said.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

Corith wrote:stuff
who are you again?
Edward_R_Murrow
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Edward_R_Murrow »

No lie, Herve is either the luckiest idiot ever, or a criminal mastermind, who used both Interplay and Titus as huge money laundering scams or a front for some other activities. Either way, he's a corporate cockroach, and Bethesda are going to have their hands full putting him down for good.
Corith
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Corith »

PiP wrote:
Corith wrote:stuff
who are you again?
A regular poster at NMA.
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/

I wrote all the ASP and C# code for Interplay. I also created the jigsaw puzzle and Space Hunt mini games that used to be on the Interplay site. I also functioned a historical adviser and researcher for one of the artists until he left the company.

AND, before that stupid frog tanked the company was selected as a designer for the proposed projects of Fallout Brotherhood of Steel: 2 and Dark Alliance 3.

I was also one of four who dragged Herve pink plump rump into court and forced him to accept the Beth deal under threat of bankruptcy.

http://www.itsuckstobejoe.com/interplay.asp

http://www.itsuckstobejoe.com/interplay2.asp
PiP

Post by PiP »

yea, I thought I know this name from somewhere..
you've chosen a funny time to visit DAC.
Corith
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Corith »

PiP wrote:yea, I thought I know this name from somewhere..
you've chosen a funny time to visit DAC.
I am a spectre, and if you say Interplay three times on a message board, I magically appear . . .
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

It's nice to see you post Corith but I must ask what is or happened to gluttoncreeper? The name sounds very familiar but I can't remember what it was related to.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:It's nice to see you post Corith but I must ask what is or happened to gluttoncreeper? The name sounds very familiar but I can't remember what it was related to.
It was the people who were working on the offical Fallout pnp game.
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

http://www.gluttoncreeper.com/

DAC hosted the official forum for the official fallout PnP until DaC posters got a little to hostel and wouldn't stop posting how much the design blew. They then started to host there own forum and eventually some legal hupla forced them to change the title (which is now eXodus) to something other than fallout. The game was so far from resembling fallout that I don't think they had to change much more than the name.
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

I wonder who would have the better laywers?
Cow Cud is a twin.
Our Host!