The Firearms Thread

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Machiavelli
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Machiavelli »

While you may be better with an AR (or other rifle) a shotgun is a MUCH better home defense weapon. For starters, at the ranges you would be shooting at in a home invasion scenario accuracy isn't really an issue. Second, it's really hard to miss with a shotgun even loaded with slugs (hollow point lead slugs is my suggestion for home defense but to each his own). Third most shotgun rounds won't penetrate walls so they're safer if you have neighbors or people in another room. Lastly, when it comes to the sound, a pump action shotgun has a much more distinctive and aggressive sound when charged than an AR, pistol or any other type of weapon and THAT is the sound that's distinctive. Most people are more scared of a shotgun than they are of a pistol or rifle. I know it's all psychological and they're all equally deadly, but the shotgun is much more intimidating. Sorry, I've got a Mossberg 500A (the same model you showed) and I love it. It stays under my bed with a loaded magazine and an empty chamber just for the purposes of making the sound. It has actually diffused situations without violence in the past for me. A bunch of idiots were fighting around my car so I took the shotgun over to my window and cocked it. Needless to say, everyone dispersed.

On the AK, I had a WASR 10 and I loved it. Wasn't too expensive and it shot really well. One thing to note with the WASR's though is that the magazine doesn't fit right in the mag well so it rattles a lot, but I never had a misfire. NEVER buy a Chinese weapon. They're crap. All of them. I've never shot ANY Chinese weapon (with the notable exception of the Makarov clone) that shot straight, cycled properly or generally worked right.

In the Philippines I had the honor of shooting a TRUE Galil (full auto) and it was a piece of crap. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it and it was always jamming. Of course that could just be the condition of the one I shot.
The AK-47. When you absolutely positively got to kill every mother#$^#&* in the room...... Accept no substitute.
Drunk_Squid
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Drunk_Squid »

Machiavelli wrote:While you may be better with an AR (or other rifle) a shotgun is a MUCH better home defense weapon. For starters, at the ranges you would be shooting at in a home invasion scenario accuracy isn't really an issue. Second, it's really hard to miss with a shotgun even loaded with slugs (hollow point lead slugs is my suggestion for home defense but to each his own). Third most shotgun rounds won't penetrate walls so they're safer if you have neighbors or people in another room. Lastly, when it comes to the sound, a pump action shotgun has a much more distinctive and aggressive sound when charged than an AR, pistol or any other type of weapon and THAT is the sound that's distinctive. Most people are more scared of a shotgun than they are of a pistol or rifle. I know it's all psychological and they're all equally deadly, but the shotgun is much more intimidating. Sorry, I've got a Mossberg 500A (the same model you showed) and I love it. It stays under my bed with a loaded magazine and an empty chamber just for the purposes of making the sound. It has actually diffused situations without violence in the past for me. A bunch of idiots were fighting around my car so I took the shotgun over to my window and cocked it. Needless to say, everyone dispersed.

On the AK, I had a WASR 10 and I loved it. Wasn't too expensive and it shot really well. One thing to note with the WASR's though is that the magazine doesn't fit right in the mag well so it rattles a lot, but I never had a misfire. NEVER buy a Chinese weapon. They're crap. All of them. I've never shot ANY Chinese weapon (with the notable exception of the Makarov clone) that shot straight, cycled properly or generally worked right.

In the Philippines I had the honor of shooting a TRUE Galil (full auto) and it was a piece of crap. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it and it was always jamming. Of course that could just be the condition of the one I shot.
Mossberg is a great shotgun. I did have a Remington 870 Express mag (18" barrel, synthetic furniture) but got rid of it. The only thing I liked more about the Mossberg is there is no latch at the underside of the action where you feed rounds into the magazine (there was one on my 870 and it just got in the way but not a big deal anyway).

Well yes Polytech is a Chinese manufacturer of M14 rifles, but they don't get that bad reviews for what they cost (compared to Springfield M1As, which sometimes have problems too but cost a lot more). And there aren't many inexpensive options for M14/M1A rifles.

Shotgun rounds will penetrate walls easily.

The ranges I would be using it at would still keep th pattern of bird shot or buck shot for that matter, a very small size.
Caleb wrote:Bulgarian from what I understand, either stamped or milled, are a bit more durable due to the bulgarian rounds being a bit hotter.
? I would say the mean reason why I'd bother spending more on an AK is it's just better quality control. Or maybe not, someday when I decide to get one I might just go with a cheaper option.
but a 7.62 round compared to a 5.56 will do quite a bit more damage and isn't stopped by flimsy things like doors/siding/walls.
Not an issue. Honestly I would still trust my M4gery over an AK but that is a personal decision based on how confident I would be with the rifle. And obviously the other main reason I want an AK is there's lots of cheap 7.62x39 around. Not so much as with .308, although I'd rather have an M1A/M14, I think if I ever get another "battle rifle" it would most likely be an AK.
On a side note just put some money down(picking it up in 2 weeks) on an Armscor 1911. Basically the same as the RIA 1911 mentioned above but 3.5" barrel, nicer finish, and some of the creature comforts of a modern 1911.
That's cool, I like 1911s. I sort of want one because they seem relatively easy to learn with, I'm not really good with pistols. My friend has two Springfields, one is the "loaded" model, and the other is a loaded champion stainless, which I believe is the coolest looking 1911 I've ever seen.
If you ever want a really nice 1911, you should check out Springfield. I would go with them over Kimber.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

My cousin has a kimber, pretty nice, as are springfield. Can't remember the name for the life of me, starts w/ a d i believe, but one of the gun shop guys showed me a 1911 yesterday that puts kimber to shame for the same price, pretty damned awesome.

Aks...honestly from what i've seen, unless you're going w/ a 101-103, the price increase just simply isn't justified. Even underfolding romanians can be found for cheap and as far as i can tell there just isn't terribly much of a difference between them. I've also heard the american vector(i think) models are pieces of shit, and run around a grand each.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Kimbers are good, but def overpriced. In fact, a lot of brands are overpriced - you can get perfectly decent "discount" names that are just as good as some of the household names.

I got a USP40 from Glock (not actually called a USP40 FYI) that misfired on the first shot. I took it back, and they made it like a trade in so I lost 150 bucks right off the bat. Fuck Glock from now on :) - or at least that gun dealer.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Drunk_Squid wrote:Shotgun rounds will penetrate walls easily.
Go for buckshot and stop living in a cardboard box (American house).
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

Aonaran wrote:
PiP wrote:
Aonaran wrote:home gun
:crazy:
As in a gun...for the home?
yes
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Fuck glocks...i don't see what all the rage is about them, honestly...some of them are alright but, there are much better options for the money.

also..what are all of your feelings on .40 cal? personally hate it, but have a few friends who love it.
Machiavelli
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Machiavelli »

Love the .40 cal. It has near the stopping power of the .45 and the recoil and carry capacity closer to the 9mm. To each his own but most of my friends that shoot competitively use nothing but the .40 both for competition and carry. Most of my cop friends love it too. I agree on the Glocks though, if you're gonna get combat tuperwear get a Springfield XD. That's just my humble opinion though.
The AK-47. When you absolutely positively got to kill every mother#$^#&* in the room...... Accept no substitute.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

The only .40 i've shot was a glock...friends parents(both fbi) swear by it, and i've heard it was one of the betters so perhaps i'll have to try an xd
Drunk_Squid
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Drunk_Squid »

I say either 9mm or .45.
If I get a .45 it WILL be a 1911.
If I get a 9mm probably an XD or Glock.
Simple as that!

My ARs :)

Last edited by Drunk_Squid on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

Nobody worries about discharging a larger firearm in their house filled with the loved ones they are supposedly protecting? Imo stick with 9mm at most.
Machiavelli
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Machiavelli »

CloudNineGT wrote:Nobody worries about discharging a larger firearm in their house filled with the loved ones they are supposedly protecting? Imo stick with 9mm at most.
The 9mm is one of the few supersonic pistol rounds out there. Even hollow points will often penetrate walls. The 9mm may not have as much stopping power as a .45 but it has much more velocity and therefore greater penetrating power. Nope, I'll stick with something I know will put a man down with ease and is less likely to hit someone on the other side (of the perp). I know a .45 or a .40 will go through a wall with ease, but I also know it's less likely to go through a person.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Shotgun + buckshots (small pellets).
Gun here & ammo here.
If you really do need home defense.

@ Drunk_Squid, that 'marksman' AR looks wicked. Is it any good?
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

I own and shoot a hi-point .40 pistol.

Good stuff. It's heavy and is painted this horrible "OD" (more like overdose than olive drab, imo) green, but it's threatening, reliable and I love it.

So just now I go to wally and buy two boxes of losechester whitebox .40, 100 round boxes. I throw ten in the mag because I'm still keeping it loaded to try to break in the mag spring a little and as I'm fucking around with it I notice that losechester has given me a 9 luger round in with my .40 sw. How the fuck did that happen? Or is some wally employee a real funny guy? Either way I was like "fuck you guys" hope this ammo doesn't explode when I hit the range today.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Just took out my new .45....crusader compact from high standard(rock island armory). Heavy for a carry gun(3.5 in. 1911 basically), pretty damned accurate, and a good deal of fun. Few misfeeds from a substandard magazine that needs breaking in and shitty reloaded ammo. For new ammo, no misfeeds and took the HP's just fine.
Drunk_Squid
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Drunk_Squid »

There's nothing that special about it, it's just as accurate as any other AR with a chrome lined barrel, but I got a couple good groups with it at 100y. I just wanted something different I guess. It is pretty light and well balanced without the bipod on it. I actually am going to sell that upper also because I don't care for barrels longer than 16".
Plus I am not very consistent in grouping sometimes, I get too many flyers. :)
I want a 10.3" or 10.5" barreled carbine. Put the ACOG on my M4 and put the Aimpoint on something like that.
Either that or another 14.5" only with a lightweight barrel.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Finally got around to firing my new CZ 2075s. They're quite awesome.

It's hard to hit shit going akimbo. Must be an asian super power or something.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Its a lv. 9 perk, lv. 3 if asian. Besides, who the fuck fires anything akimbo except hoodies and retards on pcp? :?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Frank Castle?
Our Host!