Old Games Revisited...

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Old Games Revisited...

Post by Smiley »

New thread.
Can't be bothered to spend more than 2 minutes looking for one that's derailed anyway.

AvP and AvP2

Following the Co-op fun that I've had the last few days in Left4Dead it left me wanting more.. so I remembered the unending cooperation mode in AvP and the failed co-op mods for AvP2, and remembered that deathmatch or races against one another was unbalanced and funny as hell. I'm definately bringing this one out of the dust again.

I kinda miss the quake-style accuracy of weapons and the inexplicably powerful and precise handguns that make twitchgamers king.

Of course... I play alien, and try to scare the shit out of other players as much as possible. Mainly by not moving much at all.

Natural Selection mod for the original Half-Life

Remember when they implemented that new level-up mode where you just run in guns blazing/fangs bared?
Yeah, that sucked.

But the build-mode was awesome, if you could find players willing to stock up a bit before going all out.

Painkiller

Gritty Serious Sam'esque FPS plow game.
As in plowing down hordes of enemies with a ridiculously overpowered melee weapon and whatever else you have until it all runs out of ammo.

Serious Sam

Episode 1, 2 and Serious Sam 2 the sequal.
The first episodes were the most fun, but Co-op is always great.
All spawns are pretty much scripted though, but then you could always crank up the difficulty...

Currently doing the AvP original campaigns, which aren't nearly as scary as they used to be, but the lighting and sounds are still pretty good..
Ahh the memories of sitting in a dark room in the middle of the night with my headphones strapped on.
Testicular Pugilist
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Doomsday.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Soldier of Fortune, the first one. The Desert Eagle was just too much fun.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Yeah. AVP2 was fun as fuck because I was a moviefan of the series; otherwise, it was just random shenanigans. Can't complain about scaring the hell out of people as a facehugger, though.
Danny = FACEFUCKER.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Natural Selection mod for the original Half-Life

Remember when they implemented that new level-up mode where you just run in guns blazing/fangs bared?
Yeah, that sucked.

But the build-mode was awesome, if you could find players willing to stock up a bit before going all out.
Combat was indeed shit. Classic was always fun, unfortunately for you, you've displayed your nubness with complaining about people not stocking up on ammo. :(
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

I think I still have my original AVP disks somewhere, but I've lost my AVP2 ones for good; but I've always liked those games, the campaigns were really fun and had always kept me entertained.

A favorite adventure game of mine was The Neverhood. It was in claymation, the humor was pretty simple, and the gameplay was pretty straightforward, but I always found the game in its simplicity (even though it is a puzzle game of sorts) to be extremely fun. And at the end of the day, isn't that all what matters?

Silent Storm, underrated and largely unknown. Love that game. In terms of gameplay, that's how I had always hoped Fallout 3 would have turned out to be like.... guess not.

The old C&C games back when they were some of the best damn RTS games to ever grace the world, etc. etc etc...
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

senisterdenister wrote: Silent Storm, underrated and largely unknown. Love that game. In terms of gameplay, that's how I had always hoped Fallout 3 would have turned out to be like.... guess not.
qfe

Apart from the areas being way too small(for a Fallout game), the engine seemed perfect.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

The music of The Neverhood is superb.

Gazillionaire Deluxe. Played for the artwork and the humour. :drunk:
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Re: Old Games Revisited...

Post by cazsim83 »

Smiley wrote:New thread.
Can't be bothered to spend more than 2 minutes looking for one that's derailed anyway.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewt ... t=100">FYI it was about 10 threads below this one...</a>

:hug:
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Re: Old Games Revisited...

Post by Smiley »

cazsim83 wrote:
Smiley wrote:New thread.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewt ... t=100">FYI it was about 10 threads below this one...</a>

:hug:
I meant the "currently playing" one.
I guess that one would work too, although old classics aren't really overlooked :?

Finished AvP, started on the sequal which has some nice oh-shi... moments.
Testicular Pugilist
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I've started playing The Witcher again, I enjoyed it alot on the first play through, so figured I'd do the honest thing and buy a legit copy of the enhanced edition when I found cheap as buggery yesterday. I forgot how much the prologue and first section sucked though. :(

I've also installed MechCommander Gold on my other computer, and playing that a bit. Such an awesome game. Even if mounting shittons of PPC's onto hunchbacks is kind of silly.
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

ER-PPC's are by far my favorite weapons in the Mech Series. Good range, and infinite ammo.
mr.Zahn
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by mr.Zahn »

How's that enhanced edition anyway? I was thinking of getting it as well, seeing how I really enjoyed playing it. Is it worth buying/playing through again?
Knuckle Sandwich Vendetta!
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

honestly, I haven't noticed much difference. Inventory system is hugely improved however, along with more animations, etc during dialogue. I haven't played the original version recently to really be able to compare both versions for what they changed though.

It does also come with the editor, but I haven't looked to see if there are any decent ones out there. I think one comes with it, but again I haven't looked, since I only installed the thing last night.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

21st Century Teflon Man wrote:difference
That would be due to the upcoming console version replete with epic exclusivity et al. :drunk:
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

mr.Zahn wrote:How's that enhanced edition anyway?
propaganda wrote:include more than 5000 lines of re-written and re-recorded dialogue, more than 200 new dialogue animations, a new character differentiation system for NPCs, an enhanced inventory with improved alchemy, reduced loading times, improved combat responsiveness and much more
wiki wrote:over 200 new animations, additional NPC models and recoloring of generic NPC models as well as monsters, vastly expanded and corrected dialogues in translated versions, improved stability, redesigned inventory system and load times reduced by roughly 80%. In addition all bugs are said to be fixed and the game manual completely overhauled. There are also two new adventures available to play through: Side Effects and The Price of Neutrality. A new option is to mix and match eight different languages of voice and subtitles. For instance, players can now choose to play the game with Polish voices and English subtitles.
I'd actually recommend playing the game "with Polish voices and English subtitles" which should provide the most suitable feel for the game - playing Stalker with Russian voices worked for me.
mr.Zahn
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by mr.Zahn »

PiP wrote: I'd actually recommend playing the game "with Polish voices and English subtitles" which should provide the most suitable feel for the game - playing Stalker with Russian voices worked for me.
Excellent, I'm sold
Knuckle Sandwich Vendetta!
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Blargh is right. I think that Neverhood was actually one of the old games that I replayed a couple of years back. Just too awesome.

As for the AvP genre, I loved the first installment but found the second one to be lacking. What I liked about the first game was how the roles had been defined so well, Alien - speed, Predator - power, Marine - techmology. In the second one, the borders were a lot thinner and the game felt a lot more dumbed down. The alien had lost much of it's speed and gained more armor etc. It didn't feel like you were playing three different species, but three different characters with different preferences.
In addition, I think that the first game had nailed the atmosphere spot on. Whenever Marines saw a glimpse of the Alien they started spraying like no tomorrow and running away in fear. Same went for you when an Alien jumped out of a spot whence you never expected it to come. And let's not talk about Facehuggers.
I think that part of the atmosphere might have been created by my terminally ill laptop screen, so I could never change the brightness to anything other than extra dark, but it was my favourite game for a long time. Also what I really liked about it was all the extra content. I finished all of the Alien + bonus missions on Director's Cut and also did many of those little goals which unlocked fun game modes, i.e. get 80% headshot accuracy or sth and you get a new game mode - spinning rooms and all that kind of jazz.
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

Co-op for AVP was hella fun.

AVP was vastly superior to AVP 2 in my opinion.

More games need co-op functionality.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

Burnov wrote:More games need co-op functionality.
Co-op can take a shitpile of a game and make it entirely enjoyable. By including another person in the living room horrible plot, frustrating mechanics, and monotonous gameplay suddenly become funny rather than skull piercingly aggravating.
Our Host!