The day the eurff stood still

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

The day the eurff stood still

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

It's a remake of a movie from the 50's about some alien who comes to earth in the form of keanu reeves and must make a tough decision.

The movie is okay but was slow and had a pretty shit ending. The wierd thing is that it felt slow but also too short of a movie to capture all the emotion and shit. There is really not much back story about the alien and becomes fairly predictable mid way through.

My dad said it was for more sophisticated movie watchers and we just wanted action and blood.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

klaatu barada nikto

Hah, i knew I remembered that.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

So, is it any good? I mean, is it on par with the first?
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Redeye wrote:klaatu barada nikto

Hah, i knew I remembered that.
I've also heard that phrase before, quite often actually and in the most curious of places... Never known what it meant :chew:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I've read a few reviews in the Montreal newspapers and the movie seems to suck.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

It's apparently a "re-imagining" where the threat isn't nuclear war, but instead global warming.

Problem there is, everyone in the 50s was afraid of nuclear war, while not everyone is afraid of global warming.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

It's still minus 20C here D:
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

S4ur0n27 wrote:It's still minus 20C here D:
Yeah, I wish this global warming shit would hurry up, winters are bitterly cold around here.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Actually I just opened up my TV on the weather channel and tomorrow it'll climb up to 1 D: Seems like God heard me.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

senisterdenister wrote:So, is it any good? I mean, is it on par with the first?
I've never seen the first but I enjoyed parts of the movie but I wouldn't pay tons of money to see it. Maybe go to a matinee showing. The movie just feel incomplete basically.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Its funny. I downloaded a movie called "the day the earth stopped" thinking it was this one.

Movie was about 666 robots coming to earth, massive ones. And demanding earth to show what the importance of man is or die.

Kind of lame really.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

Well, the ultimate plot in the original was actually more solid than the plot in this one. New one had a couple glaring logic holes that burned my fucking brain.

Oh, and the moral of the story in the new one can suck my cock dry. Seriously, what the fuck? We are our best when it comes to the crisis? I would rather side with vengeful Gort. I was hoping the annoying fucking kid would get him killed in time, but no!

All in all the movie was shit.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Psychoul »

Yea i liked the old one, but this one, idk. ill have to download it or something.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Although I have not seen the movie, I would like to try to make a point based on others' posts.

I find very often in these new "epic" type of films that the movie seems to get too big for itself, and begins to burst open with logic failures, plot holes, and unbelievable character actions. Do you know what I mean? A good example would be the last Pirates movie. It just seemed like it was reaching way too far in terms of stories being told, etc..

What I enjoyed about the original Day The Earth Stood Still was that it was sort of a long Twilight Zone episode, and by that I mean that although it was science fiction, it was very much driven by the characters, and the story.

I feel like too often, sci-fi movies that could have been great seem to get lost in one of two areas. The first area is the sci-fi area. A good example of this would be the I Am Legend film, which seems to be so obsessed with the idea of a desolate New York, and the creatures inhabiting it, that it loses alot of the relationship the viewer should establish with the main character (Will Smith). Another issue is that he can't act but that's neither here nor there.

The second issue is the obsession with the special effects. It seems like too often directors really don't understand how to use them effectively. IMO special effects should only be used to enhance either character or story. Too often, however, they just seem to be there for the sake of their own sake.

A good example of this would be the new Star Wars flicks which have a great many scenes completely dedicated to showing off the special effects capabilities of that time. The problem with this is that they are of "that time" and those scenes just will not hold up as the years go on.

Jurassic Park did an excellent job of balancing effects and story. It shows that they realized the aging effect that occurs to all special effects, and instead of going for quantity, they really focused on the quality, and that's why a decade later the film still holds up pretty well. The characters and the story were also great enough to compete with the special effects for our attention. In the new SW trilogy, neither the story or characters were really able to compete with the effects.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I haven't watched it yet and I have a feeling I'm going to be pissed off when I see it. Pretty much what Dogmeatlives said.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

I saw it last night. Easily one of Keanu Reeve's best roles, due to the fact that he gets to play a rather emotionless alien. I won't go into much detail for those who haven't see it, but for those who have, I was really disappointed with GORT. It was really cool when it burst out of the sphere and came to the rescue, only to be stopped by Klaatu. This is also the only time in the movie he says Klaatu Barada Nikto, and you can barely hear it because of all the other noises going on. Anyways, later on in the movie, Gort turns out to be something silly.

Overall, it's not as terrible as a lot of the reviews are making it out to be. I enjoyed it.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

I only got really pissed when I stopped to think about it at the end. Also I missed the Klaatu Barada Nikto part :rage:
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

S4ur0n27 wrote:Image

:bloom:
Fenwick
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Fenwick »

I some what enjoy thinking about the world after Klaatu "saves" humanity. So instead of a quick death, 6 billion people have no technology working? Okay... so what does that mean? No medicien, power, farming, or anything else that keeps us alive and healthy is around. Great job aliens! :drunk:
Our Host!