Fallout 3: Your thoughts

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Post by Doc Hill »

On my third playthrough, this time being methodical to catch everything, so I have founda FEW more gems.

Andale. Not terribly big or long, but this area certainly provided one of the more welcom suprises in the game, I found myself chuckling.

I actually managed to put vault 87 on my map. Strikes me as amusing that it's the first vault to put that direct hit thing to the test.

I've mentioned the Dunwich Building before, but I will say again, this is a MUCH better homage to Lovecraft then that horridly shit town in oblivion.

Button's Wig, Tenpenny's Suit, Ghoul Mask, Lincolns Repeater= obsurdly amusing.

I've read through the Maxson terminal in the Citadel, very satisfying from a lore perspective.

I LIKE this game. Alot. As I said a while ago, I liked oblivion too, and no, I'm not ignorant of the ten billion flaws with that game, but at the same time I found something pulling me back to it, Fallout 3 is the same. I suppose it's that I find enough small things to put together into an enjoyable experience.

While the game mechanics can be wonky, adn the main story has the appeal of a diseased gecko, There's alot of respect for actual lore buried in the terminals and holotapes spread throughout the game. That is probably the biggest reason I'm willing to forgive this game for it's flaws.
Life is like cheap whiskey, it's mostly bad, and leaves a shitty taste in your mouth, but it's better then nothing.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

I just wish the lore and great storytelling weren't buried in terminals, but in the dialogue you share with NPCs.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Post by Doc Hill »

Actually that brings up something that's been tickling the back of my brain, it feels ALOT like there was a seperate team filling the Terminals with stuff and working on holotapes. There's a big disconnect between the quality and content of these and conversations...and the game in general. Reading them I can almost imagine I'm in the Sierra Military Base reading holotapes about things happening leading up to the war.

I want to know the people behind the terminals and holotapes, and I want THEM in charge of Fallout 4 (because the game is doing well enough that beth will make another one...they ARe money whores after all)
Life is like cheap whiskey, it's mostly bad, and leaves a shitty taste in your mouth, but it's better then nothing.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

King of Creation wrote:I just wish the lore and great storytelling weren't buried in terminals, but in the dialogue you share with NPCs.
Well you won't have to worry about lore or great storytelling in Fallout 3. Maybe a list of what some asshole english major was doing day to day with their electricity and computer 200 years after a nuclear war the country never recovered from, but certainly no lore or great storytelling.

Also, Doc mentioned the shitty fucking costumes? Yeah, real amusing. Hey! I can put on a mask that reskins my character! Oh boy! Nobody took Abraham Lincoln's fucking hat from a museum that is exactly one minutes stroll from a "town" for 200 years! Not a single person got done standing around all day every day never needing food, water or anything else for two hundred fucking years and wandered over to the giant building full of things and found the historical icon that was laying in plain sight. Nope! That right is reserved for you, Halo with skills puppet! AND HEY IT GIVES YOU MAGIC BOOSTS TO YOUR STATISTICS!

ABRAHAM LINCOLN WAS A WARLOCK AND HIS POWERS LAST 500 FUCKING YEARS.

Really sir, really? You were really impressed by the terminal writing?

I suggest you go back and read them again. The only writing that was even close to acceptable was the writing that was a paraphrasing of the previous game's material. Everything else was goddamn garbage and the paraphrasing was fucking insulting.

Also... Harold's whole deal was a fucking slap in the mouth. Fuck you Bethesda.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I agree with Doc, more or less. They obviously had different teams working on different characters' dialogue, and the voice acting for the main characters is usually leaps and bounds better than the regular NPC voice acting even when it's identifiable as a voice you've heard from four thousand other characters. Again, I think it's really the fault of the audio director.

Also, I don't know if it's because they use the same default face a lot or if it's because they have the same chick voice everything, but every woman in that game looks the same to me.

The old dude running the historical society reminded me a lot of dialogues in the old games, but it's even more of a let down because once you're done with him you have to go deal with the rest of the douchebags.

While Three Dog's been getting a bad rap from a lot of people, I find him entertaining, and the news is pretty good when he isn't constantly repeating himself.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Gecko
Respected
Respected

Post by Gecko »

I wonder what ex-black isle members think about the game. I guess they are fucking angry about bethesda since they simply stole and mixed fallout 1-2's stories.
[spoiler] go find dad = go find vic the trader, you have to get a geck again lol, find a water purification chip -> purify water in DC..., evil enclave is here again with evil plans although they shouldn't exist now but oh well..., super mutants born by FEV virus again but they are different this time, they look like orcs now..., evil enclave computer wants to spread a virus = the master wants to do same, etc...[/spoiler]

Btw i started an unarmed based character, i wish i woudn't... There are only 2 punches and a fucking slow power attack... until you get the power fist then you have to watch 1 punch over and over again and the enemy always running in circles around you... It's just so fucking boring and annoying.
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Post by Doc Hill »

popscythe wrote:
King of Creation wrote:I just wish the lore and great storytelling weren't buried in terminals, but in the dialogue you share with NPCs.
Well you won't have to worry about lore or great storytelling in Fallout 3. Maybe a list of what some asshole english major was doing day to day with their electricity and computer 200 years after a nuclear war the country never recovered from, but certainly no lore or great storytelling.

Also, Doc mentioned the shitty fucking costumes? Yeah, real amusing. Hey! I can put on a mask that reskins my character! Oh boy! Nobody took Abraham Lincoln's fucking hat from a museum that is exactly one minutes stroll from a "town" for 200 years! Not a single person got done standing around all day every day never needing food, water or anything else for two hundred fucking years and wandered over to the giant building full of things and found the historical icon that was laying in plain sight. Nope! That right is reserved for you, Halo with skills puppet! AND HEY IT GIVES YOU MAGIC BOOSTS TO YOUR STATISTICS!

ABRAHAM LINCOLN WAS A WARLOCK AND HIS POWERS LAST 500 FUCKING YEARS.

Really sir, really? You were really impressed by the terminal writing?

I suggest you go back and read them again. The only writing that was even close to acceptable was the writing that was a paraphrasing of the previous game's material. Everything else was goddamn garbage and the paraphrasing was fucking insulting.

Also... Harold's whole deal was a fucking slap in the mouth. Fuck you Bethesda.
Actually I wasn't talking about lincoln's hat, but I concede the point because SOMEONE should have picked up the rifle.

I will grant beth this, if they had decided to be 100% accurate, certain things would have been much more dull, most of the buildings in the mall would have be stone empty.

I just find it amusing that I can run around looking like a revolutionary era british commander. I didn't say it was fallout, but it made me chuckle all the same.

As to the terminals, I'm going to choose to disagree with you, I found the bulk of them interesting.

or to put things in the DaC vernacular "Shut your hole, you cunt!"
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Doc Hill wrote: I want to know the people behind the terminals and holotapes, and I want THEM in charge of Fallout 4 (because the game is doing well enough that beth will make another one...they ARe money whores after all)
They've already said they will make #4 FYI

also as an aside - anyone else notice the connection between *Alistair* Tenpenny and Mr. *Crowley* - Alistair Crowley???
[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by [HpA]SniperPotato »

HarhAR! The bethesda developers where trying to be creative! :drunk:

I'm pissed you can't kill kids. The whole village of lamplight pisses me off.
Fallout Tactics multiplayer: COOPnet and MegaCOOP map pack
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Apparently Fallout won't even load now. It just crashes as soon as the program loads. BAH! Time to reinstall.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
mcdonis
SDF!
SDF!

Post by mcdonis »

King of Creation wrote:Apparently Fallout won't even load now. It just crashes as soon as the program loads. BAH! Time to reinstall.

Acutally my system exceeds the min requirements and it does this for me too. Its kind of like a toss up if the game is going to work or not. At this point I just wish they would fix it with a patch so I can play the darn game.

I did get to see my first ending and I have to say this is one area (just like everyone said) where they just dont understand Fallout. That was not a fallout ending. Heck half the fun of the game is the knowledge that what ever you do will have an effect on the people and cities you meet. In this game you only really have one major choice to make. 200 endings my foot!
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Post by Doc Hill »

Spoilers:

Actually there are a couple, depending on if you helped restore the lincoln memorial, helped agatha, anda couple other things, however something take precedence over others amaking it so they don't appear in the ending. excepting tranquility lane the main story is shite. The actual story is okay...mediocre really, but the executiona nd ending are complete and utter ass leaking shit.
mcdonis
SDF!
SDF!

Post by mcdonis »

Doc Hill wrote:Spoilers:

Actually there are a couple, depending on if you helped restore the lincoln memorial, helped agatha, anda couple other things, however something take precedence over others amaking it so they don't appear in the ending. excepting tranquility lane the main story is shite. The actual story is okay...mediocre really, but the executiona nd ending are complete and utter ass leaking shit.

I just kind of took it for granted that if your trying to do a true sequal some things would just be understood. Not doing 3rd person look down, I can understand with the way things have gone. But not taking the time to do individual viginates for each core city or affected character? No excuse they had the voice talent they had the money just take the few extra minutes to tell us what happend to each core area. A pic showing an area (such as hannibal at the memorial) with no detailed explantion is just utter crap.

I agree the tranquility lane quest was excellent and enjoyable, and so was the one where you go to the washington monument for 3dog. But as a line the main story was indeed short and crappy.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

While it's not very Fallout, it is an okay game (at least what I've been able to play of it).

Honestly, it reminds me of Half Life 2 more than anything else. I'm just not seeing much of an RPG in this game.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Gecko wrote:I wonder what ex-black isle members think about the game. I guess they are fucking angry about bethesda since they simply stole and mixed fallout 1-2's stories.
[spoiler] go find dad = go find vic the trader, you have to get a geck again lol, find a water purification chip -> purify water in DC..., evil enclave is here again with evil plans although they shouldn't exist now but oh well..., super mutants born by FEV virus again but they are different this time, they look like orcs now..., evil enclave computer wants to spread a virus = the master wants to do same, etc...[/spoiler]

Btw i started an unarmed based character, i wish i woudn't... There are only 2 punches and a fucking slow power attack... until you get the power fist then you have to watch 1 punch over and over again and the enemy always running in circles around you... It's just so fucking boring and annoying.
Couldn't agree more on the shitty rehash story. Bethesda gets zero points for that shit. I will say though that Unarmed is by far my favorite way to play but it is the most unforgiving. I had to make 3 characters until I found the right balance. With the right perks, stats and a Deathclaw Gauntlet you can have some fun.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

ExtremeDrinker wrote:While it's not very Fallout, it is an okay game (at least what I've been able to play of it).

Honestly, it reminds me of Half Life 2 more than anything else. I'm just not seeing much of an RPG in this game.
Exactly my thoughts. I've finished playing this shit game (been done for a week now) and I'm far too depressed to write a review. Needless to say, I feel exactly the same about this shit as I do about oblivion, as they're the same fucking game with different packaging.

Half life 1/2 NOW WITH INVENTORY is probably more accurate, but half life 2 is plenty accurate in the sense that it fucking sucks more than half life did.

I can say one thing to mitigate any bitching about how I might or must be a horrifying rabid fanboy who hates fallout 3 only because it's new, etc...

There were several times I enjoyed a single line of dialog in the game. Different lines even. I even laughed audibly three or four times. But in the defense of all that is good and holy, someone could have written that line on a ballsack and I would have laughed, it was the joke not the game that was enjoyable. If anything, it being in a bethesda game made it far worse than it could have been penned on a scrotum. Mr Sandman is fun. But then again, killing people in their sleep is fun no matter what you're playing. I shit you not, pretend that all goombas are sleepwalking in mario and it's more fun to kill them. Bethesda had 2% of a good game going, but that 2%, any interesting mission, any good dialog, anything at all that was redeeming was redeeming in and of itself and would have been fun in a game about smile land starring Mr. Smile the Smile Knight and Fallout 3 or Oblivion or Bethesda had absolutely nothing to do with it. Every one of the quests some jerkoff told me I needed to see because it was really interesting and cool was a cross genre piece of shit that was so contrived that it could have been in absolutely any form of media and still worked. Hallucination Gas In the Air. VR Sim controlled by hostile god-being, empowered by "the matrix" it controls. The Baddy is a Hostile AI. All points that not only could have been in absolutely any game and still worked, but more to the point ARE ALREADY IN GAMES AND MOVIES AND HAVE BEEN USED IN MEDIA FOR FIFTY MOTHERFUCKING YEARS.

Fuck you Bethesda. Your best writing is shit worthy of an episode of Star Trek Voyager and your average work is an absolute insult. Fuck you Todd Howard. Fuck you Emil Penisfranchise. Fuck the two of you straight through a rift in time and space to the Hell you deserve.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Gecko
Respected
Respected

Post by Gecko »

It was one of the moments when i wanted to delete the game immediately:

Seriously, after oasis i started to feel that i'm in the bombed down Cyrodiil and DC is the Imperial City...
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Yeah, but if nothing else it gives you the opportunity to start a forest fire. It also triggers the only really entertaining thing Three Dog has to say.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Aonaran wrote:Deathclaw Gauntlet.
please show me this for my chuck norris impersonator.
TelemachusSneezed
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TelemachusSneezed »

Dur hur

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwVDgTxr7fM

Should I pay $ for this?
Death to quotes.
Our Host!