Fallout 3 - down the dusty road

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Fallout 3 - down the dusty road

Post by cazsim83 »

So, I'm going to do my best not to have any real story spoilers in here, but I've been playing for somewhere around 20 hours, partly through the main quest, but mostly just exploring, since that was really the only part I absolutely loved about Oblivion, just finding the *few* unique random places/things.

Let's just say, for those who are with me so far, I've gotten past trying to restart Project Purity, and the (supposedly) shocking plot twist that happens the first time you come into contact with the Enclave. (It's not a spoiler, it's obvious from the first time you hear them on the radio, okay?)

I really wanted to open up the door to take that Colonel's trenchcoat. It looked way awesome, admit it. But, I guess there was soooo much radiation it was lethal, the fact that I had an advanced biosuit and already had my DNA mutated to regrow limbs when I had advanced radiation poisoning notwithstanding. I guess they just didn't want to loot the trenchcoat perhaps?

The main story is pretty damn predictable so far, and I'm guessing that it won't shock or awe me at any point in the future. Who knows...maybe I'm wrong...I hope?

I do like the fact you can't go wherever you want - by that I mean early on i met up with minigun wielding supermutants and a robot, and if it wasn't for me luring some mercenaries into the fight, I wouldn't have gotten out of there alive. That was a neat effect.

The metro subway system is a pain in the ass. It is definitely the MOST bland part I've felt about the game so far. Oh look - another ghoul. Oh look - another group of raiders. Oh look - blah blah blah.

Once again, and this is probably the curse of almost every RPG out there, you have your basic fetch quests. I'm supposed to take a letter to a family that is only about 10 minutes NW of the sender, when I get there, of course I can't just give it to them, and I also can't find the little boy. (I still can't find that little shit - what the fuck is wrong with me?)

A certain lawman was shot in the back before I could respond with my uber-makes-the-game-a-lot-easier VATS targeting system, bionics courteously implanted by Vault-Tec...oh wait, nevermind. It's just a bone to the turn-based rabid fans.

The game having to tell me exactly how many skill points I've needed to hacka computer, unlock a door, or disarm a nuclear weapon is pretty retarded. Forget percentage chances, and something just being out of your damn league - you need 75 skill points to unlock this door, console boy....jesus.....

The speech skill actually works okay. I like THAT percentage chance. You may only have a 22 percent chance, but it's actually a chance. You don't need 50 skill points to convince this character. I can appreciate that.

Up to this point, I've used the 10mm pistol (silenced, when that came available) for about 70 percent of the game. It was only when super mutants began to get more prevalent as an enemy that I had to switch to the combat shotgun and laser rifle. The laser pistol is pretty useless IMHO, but maybe it's just because I didn't have 75 skill points for laser weapons or whatever....

I am constantly overburdened, and I'm sure it's because I'm a pack rat. I missed the opportunity to get my free apartment in Megaton, because I really didn't want to fuck with an atomic weapon - and especially not at level 1 or 2 or 6 or whatever. The fact that you CAN disarm it early on is silly. I don't care if you dad was a scientist and doctor, he wasn't a rocket scientist (ba-dum-crash!)

Radiation never seems to be an issue. I've heard Todd mention on a couple of occasions - (paraphrased) - "We want every decision to be important...should I drink this water that will give me radiation points just so I can heal some HP, or will the radiation be the end of me?" --- Let me point this out - unless you get REALLY fucking radiated - you only lose a couple points of your S.P.E.C.I.A.L. - and because there's no Gifted trait to choose this time, I've spent probably 7 or 8 of my 12 levels picking 1 more point to my stats.
If you get to the point where radiation might kill you - you've done something very wrong, and should immediately lower the difficulty slider...oops...I mean the game difficulty because it's not working for you.

You can run from most enemies, and I like that. I've only died a couple times - once because I decided that gigantic mutant was far enough away where I could launch a mininuke at him....and the other time was because I was trying to shoot two mutated animals (bears? wolverines?) with my 10mm pistol...but hey, they were headshots!

Most of my criticism aside, the game isn't bad. My friend (who yes, does happen to like FPS') *really* likes the game, and he didn't think he would, mostly due to my introducing him to Fallout 2.

The world artists at Bethesda once again did a good job. The land looks pretty for being nuclearly devastated, the placement of buildings and roads, etc seems to be pretty believable.

The exploring is top notch, bar none. I loved random little encounters, although I think the enemies are too damn numerous for a radiated wasteland, but hey, whatever, right? Also, I didn't find Dogmeat until after I had power armor, which meant he lasted all of two fights before dying, and I just didn't care enough to reload my game.

Oh, another bit of criticism, sorry - dialogue. Jesus, dialogue. Some of the options and/or responses just dont' make any sense.

In a little burg there are two ... let's call them superheroes, okay....who are diametrically opposed (hope that is the right usage) in their world views. Of course, it's not just enough to have the option to go into their respective lairs and put a bullet in their head. If you're good enough, with just a minute or two of polite conversation, you can convince them to abandon the worldview that their ENTIRE FUCKING LIFE has been set on, give up their feud, and return to god knows where to take up a life of dirt farming. WTF?

There are so many cute little outfits...erm....I mean....the artists did a good job of rendering many types of very manly and dangerous looking armors and utility suits that playing dress up...ah....uh....I mean....no matter which type you choose, you look very rugged and ready for anything out in the harsh wastes. Although why all the armor seems to weigh 15, 25, or 45 pounds, I'll never know. Also, where the heck is the awesome one-armed leather jacket that we all know and love???

Anyway, I've been on for a bit, and I have some more to say, but I'm hungry and going to go watch RocknRolla - partly based on Poops review.

:drunk:
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

Wait... they don't have a one armed leather jacket?!
���������
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

unfortunately, no. Although if you're nice, your archenemy in the vault in the beginning will give you his official gang member outfit, which happens to be 50's greaser style....but it has both arms...
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Dreadnought wrote:Wait... they don't have a one armed leather jacket?!
Even if this is just a spam post, I'll humour you anyway..

There's a decent amount of "costumes"/armour in the game.

I guess this is one of bethsofts strong points, that you can equip a fair amount of different gear.. And they've gone with the old glasses giving +1 to cha, to let almost all gear give some kind of stat, like perception, charisma and skill stats.

I'm playing a female character, a talker/sneak.
I've found nightgowns, old pimpsuits, whore'ish merc sets and all kinds of random suits that give different bonuses and advantages.

I haven't found any significant difference in playing a female character. A few have called her some lewd names or have hightened interest, but no dialogue options so far.
Testicular Pugilist
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Re: Fallout 3 - down the dusty road

Post by VasikkA »

cazsim83 wrote:The speech skill actually works okay. I like THAT percentage chance. You may only have a 22 percent chance, but it's actually a chance. You don't need 50 skill points to convince this character. I can appreciate that.
Yeah, except the percentage chance shouldn't be visible. The same applies to those [Intelligence] or [insert whatever attribute/skill] boxes next to the dialogue options; you know you'll get a successful outcome whenever you choose one of those marked dialogue lines. Additional dialogue lines is a positive feature, but it doesn't make sense to me why they must be specifically pointed out to the player.

Also, the voice acting is sometimes so out of place; I was in a Metro station inhabited by some wannabe vampires, who claimed they were such a kickass gang, but when you talked to them I was treated like at some fucking tea party or something. It feels like the voice actors had no idea who they're supposed to voice.

I found an example of the above; just listen to the first clown in the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CJ-f2EWruw
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

That exact voice is the most overused one from Oblivion..

In addition to voice, everyone is GENERIC MALE 03 swell guy HAIRDO 04 AND GOATEE 27..

It's apparently as important in games as in real life, that all people have to look alike. Where are all the fat bastard pimps, skinny whores, overbuffed raiders, ultra nerdy scientists..?

I bet beth's proud of having made a character system that allows some degrees of diversity, but in reality it's the laziest tool in the world, for them to spit out hundreds of "diverse" characters.

It kinda describes Fo3 fairly well, diverse, but not at all unique.
Testicular Pugilist
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Re: Fallout 3 - down the dusty road

Post by cazsim83 »

VasikkA wrote: I found an example of the above; just listen to the first clown in the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CJ-f2EWruw
Those are the nicest bunch of flowers I have ever seen...since Oblivion, of course.

Also, I see your point about dialogue, and the needless display of your chances of speech working are ridiculous.

Having a [science] or [strength] box before a certain option though doesn't bother me - I think I remember F2 doing that, or is my memory failing me?
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

The voices are usually way off. Firstly, I know I'm not the only one who wondered why all the black people in the game sound white. Also the wastelanders vocabulary is just way too sophisticated to be believable. Some of the raiders speak like college professors while they should be some variation of white trash.

I also wish that the creatures were all more sociable. Would love to actually talk to a supermutant. That leads me to another thing, the talking seems like its purely meant to extrapolate info, rather than be taken as actual conversation. I realize that extracting info is the point of speaking to people, but there are times when characters give up info or change their minds way to quickly.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

So far I've seen a super mutant named Uncle Leo (I think) who bashed a few raiders before walking away from me, completely unharmed, without any reason or second look as to why he wasn't trying to bash my head in, and yes, I did try to talk to him. WTF?

Also, I want to meet someone that has the same vein of dialogue like "Bo gonna shove you down pants!!!!" - thanks Dogmeat for pointing that out - all the voice acting sounds...well...like Oblivion...very singular, and what is up with everybody speaking like they at least finished high school in whiteville, oklahoma?

@ Stainless - thnx for pointing out Smiley's support of F3 in the bethsoft forums

@ Smiley - I don't agree with everything you said, but for the most part glad you got out some of the criticism. Don't be so quick to lose your temper you crazy foreigner :hug:
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

I'm going to save my refuting of this sickening diatribe for when I post my "I'm done playing this shitpile" final review, but suffice to say: catman93 really digs fallout 3.

Kinda just draws the line right there, doesn't it?
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
First Force
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by First Force »

first off all WARNING POSIBLE SPOILERS!
AND ONE LINE OF FOUL LANGUAGE!

ok i played i quite a lot lately, a couple of things really pissed me off. I restarted the game ( not reopen the game from windows, wich i also did a number of times after terminal crash ) first time i blew up megaton within 20 minutes, thus killing the lead quest from there ( and yes i heard it on the radio, went to the news station and got zip, the guy didnt know what i was doing there), 2nd time didn`t blow up megaton, being the total a-hole that i am developed a very bad karma and people didn`t want to talk to me anymore thus forfeiting the lead quest. 3rd time i have been all fuzzy and nice but now just after daddy died ( i did save before it happend) i shot a BOS guy in the head ( sorry reflex thing with all the ferals and enclave ) so now even if i reload that game, the female sientist doesnt move after the first part in the tunnels, she doesnt move to the citadel ( and no shooting her in the head doesn`t work, she does pass out wich is funny for like 2 minutes ) she is unkillable, so the lead questline is bugged, so apparantly i had to start all over again (wich i did)
now, not doing the main quest line i am just wandering the wastes ( btw if anyone knows how to get in or near vault 87 let me know )
so a statement has to be made, sorry kids.

FUCK BETHSEDA AND THEIR BUGGY SHIT GAMES EVER SINCE ELDER SCROLLS: DAGGERFALL AND FUCK ME FOR FALLING INTO THE SAME JOKE BECAUSE IM HOOKED arg......

again sorry.

P.S.: found harold, aparantly he`s melted now with the tree growing out of his head, good to see some remnants of old fallout remain,
and yes i do like the game with all it`s faults, like the grafics and atmosphere ( BTW there is a laser minigun to be found in the deathclaws lair tis called vengeance ;) ) hope you guys have fun with it
You are losing it, doesn`t matter, let`s close our eyes and wake up from this dream.....
-------------------------------
Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity.
-------------------------------
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

( btw if anyone knows how to get in or near vault 87 let me know )
so a statement has to be made, sorry kids.
You have to go through the kid town.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

cazsim83 wrote: @ Smiley - I don't agree with everything you said, but for the most part glad you got out some of the criticism. Don't be so quick to lose your temper you crazy foreigner :hug:
Restarting the game hundreds of time due to crashes doesn't help.
Anyway, that's the only thing I remember being pissed about, the game itself is alright on some points. There's nothing in it that makes me mad, but there are some very obvious things that could be so much better or different.

There are some of the statements that I posted in my 10 quick things quote, like the vaults being very small. Later on when you visit other vaults, they're obviously larger and you have access to much more of them.
dogmeatlives wrote:I also wish that the creatures were all more sociable. Would love to actually talk to a supermutant. That leads me to another thing, the talking seems like its purely meant to extrapolate info, rather than be taken as actual conversation. I realize that extracting info is the point of speaking to people, but there are times when characters give up info or change their minds way to quickly.
There is at least 1 supermutant you will be able to talk to as you progress.

I completely agree on the part about them giving up too easily.
This kid asks me if I want to buy a laser rifle for a rdiculous amount of money, and because I have the child at heart perk, I ask if he can't just give it to me instead?

Immediatedly he replies that it's a great idea and hands me the weapon.

A simple change of dalogue would've made that little scenario go from "what the fu....?" to believable.
I mean I took the perk, fair enough, but seriously...
Testicular Pugilist
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

popscythe wrote:catman93 really digs fallout 3.
I'm sorry, you must have me confused for someone who really digs fallout 3.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

**Spoilers, if you care** They are so fucking useless that they steal the Fallout 1 story. Go back to the Vault and save it and it's OH YOU SAVED US THANK GOD. Now go away and never come back because you've done terrible things.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Yea, I noticed that.

I also noticed a hilarious thing. In one of the radio programs they mention Shady Sands. A nobody town on the whole other side of the nation. I guess because it became the NCR, but they ofcourse don't mention that. It's like they're trying to nod towards the fans by just cramming references in stupid places.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Wolfman Walt wrote:It's like they're trying to nod towards the fans by just cramming references in stupid places.
This is something we've been pointing out here at DaC since....well at least since I joined, I'm sure quite a while before.

Surprised?

@ jetbaby - I was actually surprised. Not in a good way. I thought the same thing - OH HEY WOW THAT'S SO incredibly not cool because it's a nod to the other fallouts woah ha ha!
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

cazsim83 wrote:Surprised?
More of just vindicated.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

So..I'm sure it's not a glitch, but just stupid. I'm playing the 360 version (fuck you guys before you say anything) and I talked Moira into doing her damn Survival Guide herself, and I got the achievement for finishing the quest....

The cheevos for this game are pretty fucking bland, and only a couple are cool - only one I can think of off the top of my head is Psychotic Prankster - which you get when you plant an explosive on someone during pickpocketing.

Also, some damn little kid I was trying to find was hiding out with two pedo ghouls who wanted me to help make ultrajet, which is one of the few new/cool ideas I've seen in FO3.
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

indeed...
does this work
Our Host!